How big is too big to cruise?

uoftxchik

We have a cruise planned with my parents in January 2013. My dad weighs over 300 pounds (~330). We've encouraged him to lose weight since we booked the cruise last fall. We've explained that he will have a tough time fitting in the bathroom, getting around buffets, etc. but he doesn't seem concerned. I figure he needs to be around 280 (250 to be healthier) to be somewhat comfortable on the ship. His weight affects his knees and he can't walk long distances, which is an issue on a cruise. We don't want him to spend the money to cruise only to hang out in their cabin.

My husband and are I aren't super thin ourselves, but we are comfortable on a ship. We want him to be that way too. Suggestions? Thoughts?

We have a cruise planned with my parents in January 2013. My dad weighs over 300 pounds (~330). We've encouraged him to lose weight since we booked the cruise last fall. We've explained that he will have a tough time fitting in the bathroom, getting around buffets, etc. but he doesn't seem concerned. I figure he needs to be around 280 (250 to be healthier) to be somewhat comfortable on the ship. His weight affects his knees and he can't walk long distances, which is an issue on a cruise. We don't want him to spend the money to cruise only to hang out in their cabin.

My husband and are I aren't super thin ourselves, but we are comfortable on a ship. We want him to be that way too. Suggestions? Thoughts?

Unless he has all the mirrors in his house covered, he knows that he is fat and has chosen to do nothing about it. I know that you want him to be healthy but there is really nothing that you can do. Leave him alone.

DON

Don't know if he WANTS to lose weight, but wife and I have been having good results w/ a medically supervised diet offered thru hospitals, called Optifast. We've lost a combined 66 pounds in 8 weeks. Program isn't cheap, but I'm off my diabetes meds as well as one I was taking for triglycerides and should be off blood pressure meds once I get another 25# off.

I know what he is dealing w/ as I started out at 325 and am determined to be 250 or less by the time we cruise in December. I'm 64, so never too late to start.

That having been said, I've never encountered any significant problems in 10 cruises, due to my weight. Dining room chairs can be snug if they have arms, but a discrete mention of that to the dining steward on nite 1 will provide an armless chair going forward, w/o it being an issue.

Some excursions such as parasailing and zip lines have weight restrictions, but other than that, he will be fine. And he will not be alone size wise. Plenty of hefty folks out there and many of them cruise.

I have a large girlfriend (350ish) who has been on several cruises. She likes to swim and has even been on some of the snorkeling excursions.

I think if you choose carefully you can work with it. For example, choose a ship with plenty of elevators, and pick a cabin nearby instead of at the end of a hall. Research the ships and cabin classes and choose one with a good relative cabin size (it is easy to find out the square footage and compare). Choose traditional dining so you can go right to your table with no waiting. Research the ports and excursions and pick ones that will require less walking and provide sitting time. Try to choose ports where the ship docks rather than tenders. Check if there are height or weight restrictions on any excursion you are interested in (my husband weighs 260 and he is usually over the limit for ziplining or horseback riding excursions, and even once for a mild river boat ride).

There are plenty of people with mobility problems who enjoy cruising. With some careful planning you should all be able to have an enjoyable time.

330 will not be too big. All except my January cruise this year I did it at about 330 (I now weigh 215). I can say I did enjoy myself more this last time, but as others have pointed out he has to want the change. I do hope he can find something that fits his wants.

Thanks all! Appreciate the insight.

Congrats MichMike and Ncovert! You guys are doing an awesome job!

MichMike, I think OptiFast would be good as he is diabetic also. It is 100% up to him to lost weight. We just want him to enjoy himself without the pain (on the cruise and in life in general).

Thanks!

You father has to WANT to lose weight - not just for the cruise - but for his continued good health.

I wanted my husband to lose weight for our daughter's wedding - he just wasn't interested.

Everyone here is right - he can cruise at that weight - but he would feel so much better if he had some of that weight off. Could breathe easier, walk around more - just enjoy everything more.

Good luck helping him - but don't badger - we all know that never works.

You father has to WANT to lose weight - not just for the cruise - but for his continued good health.

I wanted my husband to lose weight for our daughter's wedding - he just wasn't interested.

Everyone here is right - he can cruise at that weight - but he would feel so much better if he had some of that weight off. Could breathe easier, walk around more - just enjoy everything more.

Good luck helping him - but don't badger - we all know that never works.

Those are true words of wisdom!

It's good to be concerned about his health. Hopefully you are quietly setting a good example for him without nagging him. If my adult child kept suggesting I need to lose weight and they weren't living by example, I'd laugh at them.

Like the others said, it's his decision on what to do. If he thinks he can do it, let him. If he finds he can't get around and enjoy himself, then hopefully it's a wakeup call for him to take better care of his health.

There is nothing YOU can do- he is in the throes of his addiction to food, and if he is that heavy, he is probably heavily addicted to carbohydrates and sugar. Trust me when I tell you that that is a very powerful addiction to overcome- and I say this as a FOB and ex-smoker. Who is to say what his wake up call will be? Denial is everything. Looking back, I can't believe that I was a smoker for twenty plus years- with kids! Obviously people tried to tell me- and they have tried to tell me about my weight as well.

That said... The fattest people I have ever seen in my life have been on cruises- and I am from a very fat city. Yes it is hard to imagine how difficult it must be for them to move around in narrow hallways, teeny showers and cabins, in tenders, shore excursions, and in the hot sun. I have seen very heavy people in the buffet at breakfast and in the same exact position at lunch.

I have a weight problem now myself. My worst patterns began on cruise ships. This will be my fourth cruise in a year and last for a long time unless I can get this weight issue under control.

Good luck with your dad but I agree with everyone below. Just don't worry about him on a cruise ship- all shapes and sizes!!

There is nothing YOU can do- he is in the throes of his addiction to food, and if he is that heavy, he is probably heavily addicted to carbohydrates and sugar. Trust me when I tell you that that is a very powerful addiction to overcome- and I say this as a FOB and ex-smoker. Who is to say what his wake up call will be? Denial is everything. Looking back, I can't believe that I was a smoker for twenty plus years- with kids! Obviously people tried to tell me- and they have tried to tell me about my weight as well.

That said... The fattest people I have ever seen in my life have been on cruises- and I am from a very fat city. Yes it is hard to imagine how difficult it must be for them to move around in narrow hallways, teeny showers and cabins, in tenders, shore excursions, and in the hot sun. I have seen very heavy people in the buffet at breakfast and in the same exact position at lunch.

I have a weight problem now myself. My worst patterns began on cruise ships. This will be my fourth cruise in a year and last for a long time unless I can get this weight issue under control.

Good luck with your dad but I agree with everyone below. Just don't worry about him on a cruise ship- all shapes and sizes!!

More words of wisdom!!!

I do know that one can lose weight on a cruise (both my wife and I lost 4 pounds on our last cruise) however the environment is conducive to encourage people to gain. Like in life, it is all about the choice we make and on a cruise the over eating choice is so much easier.

Archived