Seattle - Restaurant

sail7seas

Is anyone here familiar with a restaurant called Salty's.

I've read recommendations about it and wonder if it is special?

Worth the distance to go from hotel near Pikes Market?

Thanks if you can help.

Probably Salty's on Alki Beach in West Seattle. It's pricey but good food and wonderful views. I attached a link so you can look at the menu. You can get there by water taxi from the seattle waterfront, which certainly adds to the experience. And if I remember correctly they have a free limo service.

http://www.saltys.com/seattle/menus.asp

The water taxi to Alki Beach is a fun thing to do, whether or not you go to Salty's. Several resident bald eagles over there so watch ....

http://kingcounty.gov/transportation/kcdot/WaterTaxi/WestSeattleRoute.aspx

There are plenty of good restaurants around Seattle so if you want other recommendations, i'm sure you'll get lots of responses.

When we have company from out of town we go to Anthony's HomePort on the waterfront or Ivars Salmon House on Lake Union. My brother goes to Palisades EVERY TIME he comes to town, for the food and the view.

Thanks if you can help.

Serious foodies think it's kind of pedestrian and just so-so, but the rest of us mostly like it fine. The seafood is fresh and really well-prepared, if not extremely adventurous. The views across Elliott Bay to the Seattle skyline are amazing. Not cheap, but if you're prepared to spend a little cash, it's a great place to do it. They do a great brunch buffet on the weekends, too.

The water taxi is a great suggestion to get there, but if you're staying at one of the hotels on their list, Salty's will send a complimentary limo for you.

Salty's is at Alki Beach, a wonderful and colorful beach community with views toward Seattle. The restaurant sits right on the beach with a 180 degree view (and then some) of Puget Sound and Seattle. Alki Beach is not "big city" style waterfront like the waterfront in the downtown area of the city, but more beachy residential with a lively and fun atmosphere. I haven't eaten at Salty's for dinner, but lunch was great. Locals really love this place.

I get the sense we might be happier at 'big city waterfront'.

Think I need to do more reading.

Thanks so much for the help.

I'll probably be back to ask about other places? :o

If I want to go out for dinner at a nice seafood place, Salty's would not be high on my list of places to go - and I only have to drive from north seattle. We had our high school reunion dinner there, the food was fine but nothing stand out. Maybe they do better with individual orders.

I love Ray's boathouse. The food has been very good every time I've gone, and it's right on the water & has great views too. Both places are pricey.

If I want to go out for dinner at a nice seafood place, Salty's would not be high on my list of places to go - and I only have to drive from north seattle. We had our high school reunion dinner there, the food was fine but nothing stand out. Maybe they do better with individual orders.

I love Ray's boathouse. The food has been very good every time I've gone, and it's right on the water & has great views too. Both places are pricey.

Personally, if I were looking for a really good seafood meal at a place right on the water in Seattle, I would go to Ray's Boathouse. Their food is first-rate and the view is gorgeous, but it's a bit of a schlep from downtown. Salty's would be my second choice, and Palisade probably third. There's noplace I would go on the downtown waterfront for a meal like that--drinks and happy hour munchies, maybe, or a casual meal, but not a really good, expensive dinner. If I really wanted to stay around downtown and eat good seafood, I would go somewhere not on the water, like Etta's, or Blueacre Seafood.

It you decide you just really want to eat seafood on the downtown waterfront, I would try Six Seven at the Edgewater Hotel. I've only been for happy hour, but I've heard good things about it. I personally wasn't knocked out by the menu we saw, but the view could make up for a lot. Other good choices might be Anthony's at Pier 66, or Elliott's Oyster House. Cutter's is up on the bluff at the north end of Pike Place Market--not right on the water, but it has a lovely view. I haven't been since they changed their menu, but it used to be good.

Aqua by El Gaucho is on Pier 70, near the Olympic Sculpture Park. It has gotten scathingly bad reviews since it opened last fall. I don't always trust reviews, but these were convincing enough for me.

Ivar's is a Seattle institution. The one on the downtown waterfront is cozy, and historic, and has a great view...and the food is good, but not great. The same could be said for a lot of the tourist-oriented places along the waterfront--the Crab Pot, Fishermen's, the Salmon Cooker--only maybe less so on all counts. If you want a more casual seafood meal, and you care more about view and ambiance than top-quality food, they might be good choices--but I've been to several of these and probably won't go back.

Just my personal opinions...as they say, your mileage may vary!!

Thanks if you can help.

PIKE Place Market, avoid "Pikes" at all costs :)

As a restaurant, no Salty's isn't worth it. As an overall experience, the water taxi ride, the setting, the view.... yeah, it might be. But of good food is all you want, there are much better places like Ray's, Elliott's Oyster House, The Brooklyn and more.

PIKE Place Market, avoid "Pikes" at all costs :)

As a restaurant, no Salty's isn't worth it. As an overall experience, the water taxi ride, the setting, the view.... yeah, it might be. But of good food is all you want, there are much better places like Ray's, Elliott's Oyster House, The Brooklyn and more.

Yes, you have saved her from the possibility of a cranky Seattlite leaping upon her and educating her on the name of the place (just kidding, of course). It is most definitely Pike Place Market, because it is a market on Pike Place.

Archived