Rotorua geysers etc.

Aquarians

Kia ora,

For those of you who will be visiting Rotorua while your ship is docked in the Port of Tauranga you may be interested to know that one of our Rotorua geysers which has been dormant for some years is now 'operating' again. It is near the Pohutu geyser and can be seen by those visiting Whakarererewa or Te Puia. Whakari (White Island) off the coast from here has been more active too so if you are calling at Tauranga there may be a bit more volcanic activity to see!

Aquarians

Kia ora,

For those of you who will be visiting Rotorua while your ship is docked in the Port of Tauranga you may be interested to know that one of our Rotorua geysers which has been dormant for some years is now 'operating' again. It is near the Pohutu geyser and can be seen by those visiting Whakarererewa or Te Puia. Whakari (White Island) off the coast from here has been more active too so if you are calling at Tauranga there may be a bit more volcanic activity to see!

Aquarians

thank you for the info. will have to check it out on Trip Advisor. I believe you mentioned it on another thread for one of our other cruises

Hello you two, we are doing the Forest Canyon Jetboat and Thermal Experience there

Gay

Kia ora,

If I Remember rightly you will be visiting Tikitere. While I can't remember any geysers in that area there are a number of really boiling mud pools etc. and lots of steam. I garden at Ohinemutu and one of the challenges is that in parts the ground gets rather warm. Some of the native plants have adapted to the conditions by having shallow, but spreading roots. Another challenge is that the plants have to contend with steam one moment, and then cooler and/or drier air the next! A while back I planted some Maori Potatoes and when I came back found that instead of growing they had been cooked in the ground!!

Ka kite ano

Mike

Mike I don't recall seeing that name in the description on the RCCL site.

Gay

Kia ora,

Tikitetre is also known as Hells Gate. Is that the one? Otherwise there are Whakarerewa, Te Puia, Waimungu, Wai-o-tapu to name a few, plus of course the 'free views' such as kuirau park with its boiling mud pools, Government Gardens and Ohinemutu etc.

Mike

Yes, Hells gate is the name. Today I changed one of our tours for Auckland, as it was an 8 hour tour getting us back within 1 hour of departure and I don't do that. We were going to do the Rain Forest Train Tour but switched it for a 4.5 tour of Rangitoto Volcanic explorer.

Gay

I really want to see some thermal activity, can u tell me where are the best places to go?

I too was interested in the jetboat / hells gate tour & would love feedback form anyone that has done this tour (with Royal Caribbean) or any other ship tours. First time cruiser here so not confident enough to venture with non cruise activities. :confused:

I really want to see some thermal activity, can u tell me where are the best places to go?

I too was interested in the jetboat / hells gate tour & would love feedback form anyone that has done this tour (with Royal Caribbean) or any other ship tours. First time cruiser here so not confident enough to venture with non cruise activities. :confused:

Kia ora,

The whole Rotorua region is subject to thermal activity. Maori culture is very much part of the way of life in Rotorua too. As far as I can ascertain the most popular thermal attractions with cruise ship passengers are (in the order you come across them when driving from the port); Tikitere (Hells Gate) (http://www.hellsgate.co.nz), Whakarerewa with its Maori village where residents live etc.(http://www.whakarerewa.com)), Te Puia, which incorporates the Maori Carving School (http://www.tepuia.com) & about 20 minutes out of town Wai-o-tapu (http://www.waiotapu.co.nz) which is a favourite of mine and has some amazing colours. Unlike Whaka & Te Puia there are no Maori activities at Wai-o-tapu. http://www.rotoruaNZ.com and the websites for the above may help too.

Aquarians

We are going on a cruise around NZ and we stop in Taurunga. Trouble is we are travelling with a mother and her adult daughter who is short of money so we want to do tours not out of her reach money wise. Is there cheaper independent tours of Roturua than the cruise ones available?

We are going on a cruise around NZ and we stop in Taurunga. Trouble is we are travelling with a mother and her adult daughter who is short of money so we want to do tours not out of her reach money wise. Is there cheaper independent tours of Roturua than the cruise ones available?

Yep - always is.

Google "Tauranga cruise ship tours" and you'll get a whole load of tour operators with various offerings. Take a look on TripAdvisor for other recommendations.

No tours are cheap, but they are cheaper.

Hiring a car is another option.

Archived