How Far is the Baths from St. Thomas?

Sheils65

Hi

We are really wanting to do the baths but time does not allow when we are in Tortola so I am wondering if there is a ferry or like from St. Thomas?

Anyone know? Or another Island that is closer.........we will be visiting St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Antigua, Dominica, Tortola (time doesn't allow here) and San Juan.

Any suggestions will be helpful............

Thanks

Sheilah

That's a trip better reserved for a land-based vacation or for when your cruise ship stops at Tortola.

From the Virgin Islands Now web site:

There are four ferry operators offering service between St. Thomas (Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook) and Tortola (West End and Roadtown). Clearing immigration is necessary; trip may take longer than approximated. Proof of citizenship is required.

The travel time from Red Hook, St. Thomas to Tortola is approximately one hour each way.

Here's the math:

Cab ride from Havensight Dock to Red Hook (one way): 25 minutes

Ferry ride to Tortola (one way): 60 minutes

So round trip, you're looking at 3 hours travel time that does not include clearing immigration or waiting for ferries/cabs. It's not worth the stress of worrying about getting back to your ship on time.

You're better off picking a nice beach on St. Thomas or St. John to spend the day at. ;) :)

Hi

We are really wanting to do the baths but time does not allow when we are in Tortola so I am wondering if there is a ferry or like from St. Thomas?

Anyone know? Or another Island that is closer.........we will be visiting St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Antigua, Dominica, Tortola (time doesn't allow here) and San Juan.

Any suggestions will be helpful............

Thanks

Sheilah

Too far from St Thomas for a one day trip during the hours most cruise ships are in St Thomas. Remeber you will need to go through immigration in Tortola and then again in St Thomas.

Considering the same trip. Speedy's and Virgin Gorda Transport has a ferry that leaves Saint Thomas at 8:45 and arrives at Virgin Gorda at 10:30. Then the return ferry leaves at 2:45 and arrives back at Saint Thomas at 4:15 giving you 4 hours which would be I believe a gracious plenty. However, this is only on Tuesday's and Thursday.

Then the return ferry leaves at 2:45 and arrives back at Saint Thomas at 4:15 giving you 4 hours which would be I believe a gracious plenty. However, this is only on Tuesday's and Thursday.

Unless of course your ship leaves at 5PM. You will be sweating all the way back hoping your ferry is not late. In this scenario you will be spending 4 hours on the ferry, additional time on the taxi's in Virgin Gorda and St Thomas to spend a couple of hours at the Bath's. Not a good trade off of time versus activity...

You must figure in time for Immigration & Customs both for the BVI and also for the US-this can take quite some time. It is not always a simple thing.

As someone who lives in the Islands I would not depend on Speedy to get me anywhere for sure-nothing wrong with Speedy-but I remember when we were at the Baths and his ferry was dong a mediferry to Tortola and was out for the day. Nothing down here runs like clockwork ( even our electric clocks!) this is not NYC and you can not depend on exact times for anything.

The trip to the Baths from St Thomas when on a cruise is fraught with danger of missing your ship. Take your passport and plenty of $$$ for a flight off Island.

B.

Considering the same trip. Speedy's and Virgin Gorda Transport has a ferry that leaves Saint Thomas at 8:45 and arrives at Virgin Gorda at 10:30. Then the return ferry leaves at 2:45 and arrives back at Saint Thomas at 4:15 giving you 4 hours which would be I believe a gracious plenty. However, this is only on Tuesday's and Thursday.

This is fine if you don't have a cruise ship to catch. If your ship leaves at 5:00 PM, you usually have to be back on board NLT than 4:30. There's no way you'd make that even if things run on time.

It's not likely it'll be offered as an excursion by your cruise ship because it sounds like you're already stopping at Tortola. :(

:o I'm afraid the only way you'll get to see the Baths is by rearranging your schedule while you're on Tortola.

Or better yet, plan to spend a week on Tortola some time in the near future. ;) :D

• 2 weeks later...

The ONLY option you would have is to hire a private boat and captain to make it back in time. Although if you do miss the boat in St Thomas the captain could always drop you off in Tortola which I would assume is the next stop or vice versa.

But my friend is a captain that does the Baths all the time and picks people up at the cruise ship dock and that costs about $500 and he can take up to 6 people.

I hope this helps and I agree I would NOT count on the ferries.

• 3 weeks later...

We spent a week in St. Thomas in November, went to Baths and posters above are correct...

You CAN do it but the ONLY way is to hire a private boat. We left around 7:30 a.m. one morning and it easily takes 1 1/2 hour to get there and another 1/2 hour to clear customs. Then plan on 2 hours back (to travel and clear customs - usually clearing customs in St. John on the way back).

It is an absolutely beautiful trip and it can be done but you must be willing to pay for a private boat - preferably out of Red Hook - and realize that if your boat had mechanical problems, etc., - you could get stuck and miss the ship.

This was my third trip to Baths but 1st with private "guide" (our charter's captain). He knew all of the ins and outs of the rocks and gave us an awesome tour, culminating in climbing to the top of a large boulder and jumping off.

You must go...it is worth seeing...but as others say, may be better for a Tortola or St. John land based vaca.

Archived