Antibiotics in the Bahamas

flapr

It may be possible for pharmacists to prescribe as well. I was able to purchase a box of antibiotics during one of my Bahamas visits. I won't say where, but it was a legitimate pharmacy.

A couple items available in the Bahamas without a prescription that requires one in the USA: Allegra and Allegra-D / cough medicine with codeine / pain relievers with codeine

In Mexico and Belize you can buy whatever you want without a prescription.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a recommendation that you attempt to bring such items back to the USA with you.

BobK/Orlando

• 6 months later...

Correction on Mexico--you cannot purchase controlled substances there without a prescription. Nothing with codeine, not sleep aids, no barbituates, etc. You can purchase a variety of meds OTC like antibiotics, retinol, etc.

Is it possible to purchase antibiotics without prescription in Nassau?

Our daughter contracted strep throat (my wife is a nurse) while on vacation(I think she left home with it) on GBI. We went to a pharmacy and almost got the right antibiotic, but did not know the strength and they would not just sell it without the doseage.. called stateside (our cell worked - at&t) and doctor got on the phone with pharmacy... was sold the pills (which we had to cut as there is only limited amounts) and the price was a 1/5th of what it would have been in the US... if I had to pay full price without insurance. We did not have a prescription but I guess you could say it was called in. If I was trying to pull a scam I guess I could have just had anyone talk to the pharmacy... but who would do that for an antibiotics?

She was better in a day and we did not have to fly home.. she stayed in the room for 3 days then played her heart out.

Our daughter contracted strep throat (my wife is a nurse) while on vacation(I think she left home with it) on GBI. We went to a pharmacy and almost got the right antibiotic, but did not know the strength and they would not just sell it without the doseage.. called stateside (our cell worked - at&t) and doctor got on the phone with pharmacy... was sold the pills (which we had to cut as there is only limited amounts) and the price was a 1/5th of what it would have been in the US... if I had to pay full price without insurance. We did not have a prescription but I guess you could say it was called in. If I was trying to pull a scam I guess I could have just had anyone talk to the pharmacy... but who would do that for an antibiotics?

She was better in a day and we did not have to fly home.. she stayed in the room for 3 days then played her heart out.

Glad it worked out for you and that your daughter was able to feel better and enjoy her cruise. :)

• 2 years later...
It may be possible for pharmacists to prescribe as well. I was able to purchase a box of antibiotics during one of my Bahamas visits. I won't say where, but it was a legitimate pharmacy.

A couple items available in the Bahamas without a prescription that requires one in the USA: Allegra and Allegra-D / cough medicine with codeine / pain relievers with codeine

In Mexico and Belize you can buy whatever you want without a prescription.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a recommendation that you attempt to bring such items back to the USA with you.

BobK/Orlando

Thank you. Allegra is also over the counter in Canada which was nice a few years ago.

Is there any trouble getting Allegra at any pharmacy you find or do you need to go to larger or particular ones.

Archived