When Life Hands You Lemons - Make Limoncello

Sandytoes

I'm a big fan of lemoncello. We first had it on the isle of Capri. On our first Princess cruise we discovered that they made it. The chef gave us a recipe but it was not done as they did in the video. I have read numerous articles and recipes and have made it myself 4 times - most recently last week.

The recipe/method I used calls for grain alcohol (Everclear) - which I think works better than vodka since there is no taste. And the lemon peel is soaked in the Everclear for 10-14 (or more) days. Then is combined with a simple syrup of sugar and water.

Very easy to make - and keeps in the freezer for a long time - if your friends don't drink it all!!

Yum - Yum

Here's the recipe as I got it from Princess. But I found this way to strong so have adjusted the recipe as shown below. You can adjust it to your desired sweetness level.

Ingredients

1 liter grain alcohol

16 lemons

300 gram sugar

1 liter water

Directions

Peel the lemons making sure that there is no white part. Place the lemon peel inside of thebottle containing the grain alcohol and let it marinate for at least ten days. After ten days separate the alcohol from the peel (throw away the lemons peels). In a skillet pour the water and sugar at the same time and bring it to the boiling point, make sure that the sugar is melted completely. Slowly add the lemon flavored alcohol. Let is simmer for a few minutes. Take it off the flame, cool and place in the refrigerator. To be served very cold.

Adjusted recipe:

2 750 ml bottles of Everclear

24 lemons

7 cups sugar

11 cups water

Steps are the same.

We found the limoncello quality varies from ship to ship...our favorite was on the coral...

and for Northwoods2 ... so you just use the very outermost part of the lemon peel, and not the rest of the lemon? could I use a lemon zester or veggie peeler for this? Thanks!

The Everclear also varies by state on the alcohol content, or at least it used to. Florida had more then California... unfortunately I live in California but I'm checking it out next time I'm in Florida. Brought back 10 bottles one year - really threw off the guy checking our luggage.

We found the limoncello quality varies from ship to ship...our favorite was on the coral...

and for Northwoods2 ... so you just use the very outermost part of the lemon peel, and not the rest of the lemon? could I use a lemon zester or veggie peeler for this? Thanks!

The Coral was the ship we first had it on :)

Yes, just the outermost part. I use a sharp veggie peeler. A friend uses a lemon zester. I prefer the veggie peeler then it is easy to strain the liquid without getting any lemon peel matter.

The reporter in the video says that not only Princess is the only one to make homemade Limoncello but it's FREE!!

Is that so?

I do remember being offered Limoncello at the end of Italian night, but I don't remember it being FREE??

MC

The Coral was the ship we first had it on :)

Yes, just the outermost part. I use a sharp veggie peeler. A friend uses a lemon zester. I prefer the veggie peeler then it is easy to strain the liquid without getting any lemon peel matter.

I will swing by the store on my way home tonight...thanks!

The reporter in the video says that not only Princess is the only one to make homemade Limoncello but it's FREE!!

Is that so?

...no, not free...but you do get to keep the (very cool) glass that it is served in.

Is that so?

I do remember being offered Limoncello at the end of Italian night, but I don't remember it being FREE??

MC

Well, the limoncello is "free", but you have to pay for the glass it's served in. I know, it's all the same - but it's a legal technicality since the liquid is not purchased, they can't charge for it. I usually come home with 8 glasses - they make great Christmas gifts. :cool:

If you have a very large liquor store nearby you can buy Caravella Limoncello originale d'Italia imported from Italy. I actually have a bottle in the freezer presently.

I am too lazy to make it.:D

Mike:)

Hi,

Limoncello is one of my favorites. I have two bottles in the freezer right now. One bought locally and the other is from Italy. Italy limoncello has a higher alcohol content and you can certainly feel it after having 2 shots. I always come home with a few extra glasses.

MC- Are you ready for Italian night? I am! (minimum of 2 for myself)

Jacki

Can't get Everclear in Maine either. I'm sure the gargantuan NH liquor store would have it though.. :p

Looking forward to having some Limoncello on the Crown in Oct (Limoncello Martini is nice also)! Now, if I could only find a good recipe for homemade Cointreau... :D

Lake Tahoe has Everclear its closer to us- but have you tried the one made by our local growers in Ventura its really good and Wades Wines off the freeway in Agoura carries it "Ventura County

Growers Lemoncello. good luck Karon

The Everclear also varies by state on the alcohol content, or at least it used to. Florida had more then California... unfortunately I live in California but I'm checking it out next time I'm in Florida. Brought back 10 bottles one year - really threw off the guy checking our luggage.

Archived