Use the GEM as a shelter for storm victims in NYC?

Lou33

I know that NCL reads this forum, so here is an open letter to anyone who works for NCL:

Obviously, many passengers on the 10/29 Gem cruise are unhappy about the shortened cruise and the itinerary change to Bermuda. Why sail to Bermuda with a ship that is only 1/2 full, and most of those passengers are unhappy? Why not offer those passengers refunds or future credit? But you don't need to let the ship sit idle for one week.

Why not offer the ship as a 1 week shelter to people in NYC and New Jersey who were displaced from their homes? I think a cruise ship may have done exactly that in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

This could be a perfect public relations opportunity for NCL. If you are worried about money, I would think any lost revenue from the cruise would be more than offset by the positive publicity that you would receive. The Mayor of NYC would give the ships captain the key to the city. Think about it.

I think a cruise ship may have done exactly that in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

Yep, I was booked on a Carnival cruise out of NO that was supposed to leave two weeks after Katrina. Within five days of the hurricane, we were notified that our ship had been "taken" to house, if I remember correctly, relief workers and volunteers.

Carnival isn't my line of choice, but I was booked on a Rock Boat charter. At that point in time, they fully refunded our cruise fare. There obviously were no options to postpone, and since it was a charter, there were no discounts or anything to be offered on a future cruise.

During Katrina there was nowhere to house all the displaced people. So far they seem to still have places to put everyone so it's not needed and would be a waste of money for NCL, IMO.

I would think the city would be able to use the ship in some creative way, but it it's not needed, then it's not needed. It was just a nice thought.

Nice thought but I don't think it would work, who gets on and who doesn't? We all know what happens when people get things for free, the abuse them. I'm sure NCL does not want their ship used like that.

The Navy has ships they can use for just this purpose if needed

The government paid the cruise lines for the use of those ships ( just less than $300 million) - and it didn't work out very well in NOLA. They first were housing displaced residents but then switched to housing relief workers.

Exactly. This situation wouldn't work out well in NYC because most of the people have shelters or places to go. NYC can absorb the impact of this storm by shifting residents elsewhere. Putting a cruise ship on charter isn't going to help the masses and plus it displaces them from being close their actual homes to re-build and do what is necessary to get it fixed. The infrastructure in NYC wouldn't allow for that. Until the subway is back up and running at full speed, transit in NYC is nightmarish.

OP: It's a nice thought but not going to work in this situation. :)

The ones in NOLA did trash it - that's why they were kicked off and replaced with relief workers.

I also remember seeing interviews with those that were placed there. They complained. They complained that the rooms were too small... the food was the same every day..... then it was trashed.

My prayers go out to everyone affected by hurricane Sandy.

I have a feeling that if the government approached NCL and asked them to put one of their ships into service that Kevin Sheehan would consider it. New York is his hometown and he has felt the wrath of Sandy as his own home is under water.

Gem has already departed, correct?

Though this is a wonderful idea I can't imagine it to be very feasible. The cruise terminal now is barely functioning, keeping a ship there would hinder their ability to clear and clean the area and get it back up and running for business as usual. My thoughts are with those in NY, I can only imagine the devistation. NY is well equiped with multiple shelters that are able to be utilized in the midst of this tradegy.

I have a feeling that if the government approached NCL and asked them to put one of their ships into service that Kevin Sheehan would consider it. New York is his hometown and he has felt the wrath of Sandy as his own home is under water.

** Like **

Quoting from excerpts of Sheehan's Open Letter - "New York is my home town. I was born and raised in New York and I consider myself a New Yorker through and through. I can tell you that I truly feel your pain and frustration and sympathize with everyone who is living with the realities of the storm’s devastation. My family and I have been affected as well, as my house in New York is flooded and we are still trying to process it all."

He must be a rich refugee - disaster doesn't discriminate, ya know ... homeless, too

Somehow, I believed if NCL is asked, they would consider the request and do the right thing. We as New Yorkers are resourceful, neighbors helping neighbors in times of need.

Personally speaking, I do not care for 45,000 people running around tomorrow with more street closures, dang for what benefits it will bring - regardless of where they are from, ya stay away and go away - ya hear.

Do us all a favor and stay away. It's people like you, from other parts of the country, that are not affected by events like this in NY, that think this is a big bunch of nothing ... You would never see a NYer say something like that when a tornado rips thru your neighborhood and devastes everything.

** Like **

As for mjt2000, hope you aren't related to the homebound elderly living alone on high-rise housing without electricity since Monday, unable to get to dialysis because the driver has been stranded at home, unable to get to work, with the van out of gas sitting in a flooded waterfront garage depot - conditions make worsen by the doctor & nurses displaced from their evacuated hospital, out of medications and the pharmacy closed & unable to get Rx eScript refilled.

(you might just find yourself in those shoes someday but you probably won't remember what you said ...)

Archived