Beaches, etc walkable to from cruise ship dock?

12Cruise

• 11 months later...

We were in Grenada last week and we just walked around St George. We were only in port from 9-2 so we decided to explore the town. Once you leave the dock there is a very nice air conditioned shopping mall that you have to go through to get out to the street. Once on the street locals will aproach you and ask if you want a walking tour. If you are not interested just say no thanks and keep walking. If you start talking to them they will follow you. To the right you will see the stairs up to Fort George. The fort is easily accesable but in sad disrepair. There is no charge and the views are beautiful. At the top of the stairs go left further up hill. There are some canons and walls. You have a great view of all St George.

On the way down we went to the Carrnige area and explored around the harbor. I never did find a walking tour and I would guess you would see a lot more if you hired a guide. We walked up the hill to take a different road back but the traffic was terrible and there were no side walks on that street. We continued to the Market area back by the dock. It was very hot and we had enough walking so we headed back to the ship. Many of the churches had no roofs and the damage from the hurricane was still very evident. You can get a map at the info center in the mall but I found a better one by googling Grenada maps. I have no idea if you could walk to a beach but I could see one from the ship that looked very nice.

Archived