Costa Maya~~what to do?

jcs56

We are going on the Glory in November...pretty much know what we are doing in all the ports except for Costa Maya. I'm not finding much except for beach party type things and we will have enough of that elsewhere. Anyone know of a really good excursion for Cost Maya? Hubby and I are late 40's and we have a 23 y.o. daughter and 18 y.o. son going along.

Thanks for any help:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Looking for things to do in Costa Maya too. Leaving 11/19 on Glory. Also need something to consider for Belize City, Some of the comments about there are not so nice. Seem to have decided to do Paradise Beach with the family in Cozamel. What are your thoughts? Travelling from NJ. Keep in touch. Paul:)

If you want something great to do in Costa Maya and aren't into the 'beach party' scene check out the Mayan ruin excursion at this link: http://www.chacchobenruins.com/default.html . This was the best part of my cruise back in June. David and Ivan are very knowledgeable about the Mayan culture. They are a lot of fun and much better (and cheaper) than the boat excursions. They have a couple of different types of tours so check out the web site. Hope this helps and hope you have a great time.

Anita

We were in Costa Maya almost two years ago and I agree with the previous poster , we did the ruins, and we loved it , thought it was a great expericence. It is a long day, but we saw alot of the country side and the ruins were really neat. As for Belize , our daugter went there a year ago and I think she did a river trip, but said not to forget the bug repelent just in case, but perhaps that was because it had just rained and did rain while she was on the excursion. It is still a fairly premitive area I think. Have a great time.

Cori

Wow...Nov. 19th...that is the same trip we are taking. Yes, Costa Maya is one that no one I know has been to. The ruins sound good but I don't want to be gone all day and we did them in Cozumel (Tulum). Most likely CM will be something to do with the beach and sting rays. Belize I really want to do the cave tubing but not sure if I can handle the trek carrying my tube. Maybe hubby can carry 2???? :D Our last cruise I felt like we didn't experience the beaches at all so maybe all three ports will be just that. I just don't like having to get on a bus or taxi and travel a long way. Something close, or atleast a catamaran or speedboat right there at the docks. By the way there is a roll call over on those boards for our cruise. Not a lot of people yet but a few and they haven't checked it in a few days I have noticed. Our last cruise we met about 20 people on CC and all met on the ship and hung out a bit. Had fun......keep in touch

Jan

DOn't know if your ship offers it, but when I was in Costa Maya this past spring (March 05), I did a bike/kayak tour through my Celebrity Ship. I usually do independent tours, but we were there for a very limited amount of time, so decided to do the ship's tour.

The bike/kayak tour was really neat. We got our bikes & helmets and set out from behind the large area at the pier. We rode to the little village and had a stop for water/solf drinks. A truck with extra bikes followed us and stopped the traffic at intersections, for safety. We got our two person kayaks at the break-stop and paddled out to a coral reef. It was my first time kayaking and I really enjoyed it. Very calm water and beautiful small beach too. After a break upon our return to the beach, we again boarded our bikes and rode back to the pier area. All of the bikes had baskets, so taking a camera along on the tour was easy to do.

Even had a little time to shop.

Enjoy your cruise

Wow...Nov. 19th...that is the same trip we are taking. Yes, Costa Maya is one that no one I know has been to. The ruins sound good but I don't want to be gone all day and we did them in Cozumel (Tulum). Most likely CM will be something to do with the beach and sting rays. Belize I really want to do the cave tubing but not sure if I can handle the trek carrying my tube. Maybe hubby can carry 2???? :D Our last cruise I felt like we didn't experience the beaches at all so maybe all three ports will be just that. I just don't like having to get on a bus or taxi and travel a long way. Something close, or atleast a catamaran or speedboat right there at the docks. By the way there is a roll call over on those boards for our cruise. Not a lot of people yet but a few and they haven't checked it in a few days I have noticed. Our last cruise we met about 20 people on CC and all met on the ship and hung out a bit. Had fun......keep in touch

Jan

So, are there Sting Ray excursions available (non-ship excursion please)? Or are the sting rays just swimming around near the beaches in Costa Maya?

Cruising in December with 2 sons (ages 11 and 12), hope to do ruins, but would like other options. Sting Rays sound good to me.

Thanks!!

Looks like a good idea. At first I was concerned about having the boys at a bar beach, but all the posts I've read about it have eased that fear.

I'm starting to think I can work in both the ruins and a beach break afterward.

Is that too much for one day?

I dont know anything about the ruins in CM except what I see on the boards, but generally the ruins are far away and quite a long day. If you went on your own in a taxi you could leave when you are ready....not have to wait on the entire group. No sure how far it is so it could be costly by taxi. I am not real big on getting on these buses and vans and going with groups, I like to go and leave when I want to. But in answering your quetion that may be too much for one day.

Actually the ruins are only about 45 minutes away. We were in Costa Maya from 12:00 - 5:00 and did the David/Ivan tour and still had time to do some shopping at the port. They are very accomodating for your group. If you are there all day you'll have plenty of time to do both the ruins and the beach. There were a couple of kids on our tour and they really enjoyed the tour. By the way, all is well in Costa Maya after Emily. Enjoy your trip.

Paul,

We are going to CM in Sept on Carnival Holiday and have scheduled the catamaran/snorkel tour for me, wife, daughter (10) and my Mom (62). In Cozumel, are you doing a Discover Scuba at Paradise Beach? We used a great instructor that you can find at Scubawithalison.com It was a one on one instruction with me and my wife. She made my wife feel real comfortable even though she was nervous. After falling in love with the experiance, we came back home and got certified so that when we go back in Sept we can see other great spots.

In Belize, we did the Catamaran/snorkel tour on Norweigan Dream last Nov. They took us out to a little island with maybe 6 palm trees. The waters around the island was teeming with fish. On the way back it became the party boat when the rum punch was brought out. It didnt take long for a Congo line to start.

Dave

Looking for things to do in Costa Maya too. Leaving 11/19 on Glory. Also need something to consider for Belize City, Some of the comments about there are not so nice. Seem to have decided to do Paradise Beach with the family in Cozamel. What are your thoughts? Travelling from NJ. Keep in touch. Paul:)

Actually the ruins are only about 45 minutes away. We were in Costa Maya from 12:00 - 5:00 and did the David/Ivan tour and still had time to do some shopping at the port. They are very accomodating for your group. If you are there all day you'll have plenty of time to do both the ruins and the beach. There were a couple of kids on our tour and they really enjoyed the tour. By the way, all is well in Costa Maya after Emily. Enjoy your trip.

Gosh, we're there from 7:00 until 3:00. Maybe we can squeeze it all in!

I still have plenty of time to convince them :D

Thanks!

Does anyone know how Celebrity manages their excursion to the ruins in that they are only in port 7 am to Noon? Assume we would be fools for booking this ourselves?

The David /Ivan tour can probably be adjusted to fit your time frame. David was very flexible, he even dropped us off at the port to save time. Just e-mail him and ask if he has another tour begun and if he would accomodate a group from your ship on your time frame. You will not be dissappointed.

What a time we had with Andrea, Marco and Rosie at PEZ QUADRO. Me and about 100 plus of my friends spent the best day there, relaxing on the beach, eating mexcan food, getting massages, walking out into the surf, Oh! Almost forgot! All you can drink, Sol, XX Equs, and a variety of margarita's. Thanks again, we'll send post pictures on our website,

http://www.fourunplugged.com soon!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Costa Maya 2 years ago. We got off the ship and there were plenty of Shops beach and a saltwater pool and beach. Our waitress on the RCCL Granduer told us don't book anything. You can have fun walking right off the ship and have a great day. They even had lounge charis for free by the saltwater pool. There was an area that a resturant and bar owned and they rented chairs on the beach there. I am glad we took her advice because we would have booked a beach party that two 6 years olds would not have had as much fun.

How is the snorkling at Costa Maya?? I had planned to take the ruins tour with David, but my Dad recently had open heart surgery so that would be strenuous on him.

Our other stop is Cozumel & even though I'd like to snorkle there Mom needs someone to go shopping with so that's out. Oh the sacrificies we "devoted daughter's " have to make for our parents.;)

Anyhow, since the folks will probably just walk around Costa Maya a little & then get back on the ship this will probably be my only chance to snorkle.

I found a website that has snorkle tours for $25, not sure if I need to book in advance or just find one when I get there.

Thanks,

Karen

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I were just in Costa Maya last week,it's a small village with the most beautiful beaches we've seen. We partied on our ship and really wanted a tropical paradise and that's what we got! try the bar swings and lobster tacos at the hotel(the only hotel)--Enjoy!!!

Don't miss going in to Majahual, the little town, it's what beach Mexico is all about. The tourist complex at the port is nice, everyone speaks dollars, and waves a big "Welcome Gringo" sign.

We were there off the "Grand" last Dec.. Went in to Majahual, to both Tapas and Pez Quadro. Pez has more room, but Tapas has Negra Modelo and great food. Be sure to try the conch cocktail. Be sure Alan is your waiter.

Snorkling - Either place go out past the reef which is out about 100 yds. and you'll find some of the best I've seen. There are lot of coral heads and other bottom structure, and great water without the currents of Cozumel. not as deep either.

As you wade out, watch it, there are some spiny sea urchins in some areas.

How is the snorkling at Costa Maya??

I found a website that has snorkle tours for $25, not sure if I need to book in advance or just find one when I get there.

Thanks,

Karen

Hola Karen,

You must have the Costa Maya Cruise Excursions. They have a boat snorkel trip for $25 and a beach break for $25. I have been looking for snorkeling areas too. You might check out Mayan Gardens or do a google for shore excursions.

Archived