JERSEYGIRL3 - question for you

stephuney

jerseygirl3,

I've read some of your other posts about lapband surgery ... and I posted on these boards to try to find some info out about cruising with lapband, but really found more information about lapband itself.

One week ago I had lapband surgery, and I go in next Thursday for my post-op check-up. I will be on liquids for one more week and then will move to soft foods for food weeks (total of 6 weeks). Right around the time that I will get my first fill and conquently move to solids, I will be going on a cruise.

I will be cruising when I am 8 weeks post-op. I am interested in any experiences you might be able to share ... I will talk to my surgeon about what is best (first fill before or after cruise) ... I am really sort of leaning to after cruise. But I am interested in any tips or challenges that you can share about cruising,eating, and drinking (alcohol) after lap-band.

Thanks,

Stephanie

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so sorry I wasn't able to get back to you sooner. We've been on vacation for the past two weeks and I just saw your post.

I cruised about 2 weeks after my first fill (which was approx. 8 weeks after surgery). I didn't have great restriction with that first fill, but I was pretty careful with my eating. I know I could have eaten more than I did because I didn't yet have good restriction (took 3 fills for me to have just the right restriction, and I hear that's very common). Anyway, I tried to avoid starchy carbs and eat solid protein and veggies/fruit. I did occasionally have a drink (probably one alcohol drink a day, or a glass or two of wine with dinner). Technically that was a no-no, but I was very careful. I "tasted" some desserts, but never had an entire portion. I walked every day on the jogging track and when I got home, I had gained 1.5 lbs., but that weight was gone within a day of returning home. I think it was more a bit of water weight from the humidity than anything else.

I think if you follow good bandster eating guidelines, you should do fine on your cruise. Just remember, until you get good restriction, it will be easy to overeat.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

Jo-Ann

JoAnn, thanks for the feedback! I have been in Houston the past week and havent been able to respond, but I do appreciate the tips.

My doc decided not give me a first fill until Jan 10 - because of my trip and the holidays - so I can already tell that my restriction is not really great at all, so I have to be really careful.

I'll have to make sure to get plenty of exercise in while I am on the cruise too!

Thanks

Steph

• 4 weeks later...
To add to that question. What is Lapband? I've never herd of it..

Kim

Lap band is a less invasive form of weight loss surgery. Nothing is cut and rerouted (i.e., as it is in Gastric Bypass). A band is placed (under general anesthesia and with laparoscopic incisions) around the upper part of the stomach, reducing the amount of food one can consume at a meal. It reduces the volume of food eaten and because of this restriction, the food moves slower through the stomach, leaving a feeling of satiety for a longer period of time. The band has an inflatable balloon along the inner circle. A port is placed under the skin on the abdominal wall. Several weeks after surgery to place the band, the surgeon (using a needle and done in the office...no anesthesia necessary, no worse than a shot) injects a small amount of saline that then travels to the band and inflates the balloon, thereby causing restriction around the stomach. That is what is referred to as a "fill." My first fill was done 8 weeks post op. I've now had 4 fills. My surgeon prefers to advance the tension around the band in very small increments. If it is inflated too much, you can't get food past the band and into the stomach. Not enough and the band is useless. It's like fine tuning to get it to the right spot. Also, as you lose weight, the band needs to be filled as it will loosen with weight loss. For me, it was the safest, least invasive surgery to accomplish a weight loss. It is a much slower weight loss than Gastric Bypass and involves more discipline as there are no malabsorption issues, but I felt it was right for me.

Archived