Help! Which RCCL Shore Excursions in SPB?

GL369

Looking for advice on which RCCL tours in St. Petersburg to take or avoid. At this point, we're not looking at external tour companies. For the two adults we're looking at:

PZM3 - 2 Day tour package to cover the entire visit

or break up with two tours:

PZK3 - Walk along Nevsky & Shopping & PZ19 - City Highlights and Pushkin

Also, is there any risk of Sunday closures or reason to take a tour on Monday instead?

Nevsky and Shopping is 3 1/2 hours, and the city highlights is 10 hours. How long is the 2 day tour?

I, personally, want to spend as much time in the city as possible (not sure when or if I'll ever be back), so I'd probably pick the 2 day tour.

Remember that, unless you get your own visa, the only time you can enjoy the city is w/a tour guide.

Looking for advice on which RCCL tours in St. Petersburg to take or avoid. At this point, we're not looking at external tour companies. For the two adults we're looking at:

Also, is there any risk of Sunday closures or reason to take a tour on Monday instead?

GL:

Take about 20 minutes and read this forum. You'll find that the vast majority of Cruise Critic Members do not take Ship's tours, but hire local guides instead.

There are quite a few well regarded companies, and they are safe & reliable, and will cost you less than a ship's tour, with fewer people between you and the guide. Much more flexible options, as well.

Looking for advice on which RCCL tours in St. Petersburg to take or avoid. At this point, we're not looking at external tour companies.

I have the following observations about ship tours vs. private tours:

1. The ship tours seem well planned and many are all day or two day tours.

2. Private tours for two or three couples seem to be much more expensive than ship tours. The break-even point seems to be about 16 people for private tours compared to ship tours.

3. Private tours claim to be more flexible.

4. On any tour (ship or private), I always walk next to the tour guides, so I can ask questions.

Princess charges $399 per person for their two day tour, 9 hours per day.

But compare what and how much you are really going to see on a bus with a large group...No way will this compare to what can be done using a private tour company and a small group. You are going to spend more of that 9 hours each day sitting on the bus waiting for stragglers..We saw this situation first hand at many venues as we drove past large buses sitting in parking lots usually a distance from the actual locations. We also saw the large groups of people being herded through beautiful locations with a glazed look on their face unable to hear their guides or fiddling with their earphones...Good luck !!

OP,

The vast majority of informed cruisers choose private companies, and with very good reason IMHO. If you can provide more information as to your decision to consider only ship-sponsored tours, you may get some helpful feedback. There was a time when we would have never dared book with a private provider due to the ever-looming threat of "MISSING THE SHIP" :eek:

Now, I don't even look at ship tours.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful time.

Thank you all for the information and advice. It is in part, what I was seeking and feel more prepared to make a decision. For the record, the private tour companies were never an issue for us; we do not have fear of missing the ship or even paying a little extra to have personalized day. However:

The two-day "RCCL bus" tour is less than $650 for 2 people and is stated "at your leisure" Day 1: covers (admission incl) to Puskin, Lunch at local restaurant. A city tour, with stops at landmarks and Nevsky Prospect.

Day 2: Peterhof (admission incl), Lunch at a local restaurant. Hermitage (2 floors)

Or Day 1 & 2 "on your own" is less than $400 for 2 people: afternoon walk Nevsky Prospect (3 hours); Puskin (admission incl) and city tour including Church of Spilled Blood, Cruiser Aurora, Kazan Cathedral.

It would be nice to hear from anyone who has taken these tours and get their insight on their experience. YES, it is a bother to meet in the theater prior to leaving the ship, and to grab your seats on the bus, and deal with people who opt out of listening to the guide, etc...perhaps, we would rush to hire a car service if the feeling was the ship tour (in addition to my rant) were too hurried or lacking in sights.

But from a itinerary point of view, I don't see much difference between the ship's tours and most common private tours (linked to this site).

Archived