Does Nassau require passport to visit by cruise

Jsme

I know why you should have a passport. I do have one but not all of my extended family does. So please do not tell me why they need one.

I know the rules that the US governement has set forth for closed end loop cruises. With that said, some ports will not allow entry without a passport. Does Nassau allow entry with BC and DL?

I know why you should have a passport. I do have one but not all of my extended family does. So please do not tell me why they need one.

I know the rules that the US governement has set forth for closed end loop cruises. With that said, some ports will not allow entry without a passport. Does Nassau allow entry with BC and DL?

Entry/Exit Requirements

Nassau Paradise Island is one of the few Caribbean destinations that provides pre-clearance for U.S. Customs and Immigration services, allowing flights from Nassau Paradise Island to enter the United States as domestic flights and bypass the normal U.S. Customs and Immigration clearance encountered on most returns from an international destination.

From http://www.nassauparadiseisland.com/about-the-island/travel-tips/

If you are a U.S. citizen, The Islands of the Bahamas follow the U.S. Government international travel requirements for re-entry into the U.S., you will need a valid U.S. Passport. The Bahamian Government may also require proof of return airline ticket and sufficient funds to support your stay. Please be aware that a voter registration or certified birth certificate is no longer accepted as proof of U.S. citizenship. If you do not have a passport, please visit our passport section for details or http://www.travel.state.gov for the most current information about the passport application process.

Upon arriving in Nassau Paradise Island, everyone must fill out and sign an immigration form, keeping a portion of the card in hand until departing. An oral baggage declaration is required.

If entering The Bahamas by boat, there is a flat fee to clear Customs and Immigration, which is $150.00 for boats 35 feet and under and $300.00 for boats 36 feet and over. This covers a vessel with four persons or less. Also included is a cruising permit, a fishing permit, Customs and Immigration charges and the $15.00 Departure Tax for up to four persons. Each additional person above four will be charged $15.00 Departure Tax. If you plan to stay longer than 12 months, special arrangement must be made with Bahamas Customs and Immigration.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, you may need to apply for a Bahamas Visa. Please visit our Non-U.S. Citizens section or call a Bahamas Consulate for additonal information:

Canada 613-232-1724

China 86-10-6532-2922

London 44-207-408-4488

Miami 305-373-6295

New York 212-421-6420

Washington DC 202-319-2660

So I am stepping out here to say that with a cruise then they should allow my family that does not have a passport to enter port.

Please check with your cruiseline.. Only they can tell you what is expected. Even thought the gov does not insist on passports for americans on a closed loop cruise.. some cruises make it mandatory.

Check and see what your' cruise wants from you.

Lot's of changes takeing place after June 1st.. so what others have done in the past.. doesn't have any bearing on the question.

Please check with your cruiseline.. Only they can tell you what is expected. Even thought the gov does not insist on passports for americans on a closed loop cruise.. some cruises make it mandatory.

Check and see what your' cruise wants from you.

Lot's of changes takeing place after June 1st.. so what others have done in the past.. doesn't have any bearing on the question.

I have and it appears they do allow you to cruise without the passport. I just needed to see if the Bahamas allows entry.

I have and it appears they do allow you to cruise without the passport. I just needed to see if the Bahamas allows entry.

You will be allowed to disembark in the bahamas.. and under ordinary circumstances there is not a problem.. But should you be left behind due to illness or some other problem.. you will not have proper documentation to leave the bahamas by air to catch the ship.. or head back home.

These things happen.. hopefully not to you and your family.

I've done a ton of research and spoke with out cruiseline MULTIPLE times to confirm - for closed loop cruises after June 1st, you do not need a passport. Of course, different countries may have different rules. But from what I understand, there should be NO problem with the Bahamas.

I, too, am in a position where I cannot get one for our last minute cruise. So I'll know in a week if we needed one or not.

As always, check with your cruiseline. Some are more stringent than the ports of call themselves.

I've done a ton of research and spoke with out cruiseline MULTIPLE times to confirm - for closed loop cruises after June 1st, you do not need a passport. Of course, different countries may have different rules. But from what I understand, there should be NO problem with the Bahamas.

I, too, am in a position where I cannot get one for our last minute cruise. So I'll know in a week if we needed one or not.

As always, check with your cruiseline. Some are more stringent than the ports of call themselves.

Hey just_us let me know. My husband and I have a passport. Just all of my family does not. Due to hours being cut and not making as much our daughter wants to wait if she can to buy a passport. We know the whys on why you need one and we know what can happen if you do not have one and need to fly home.

Will do!

I will check back in with this thread then.

I know when I called I was told that they could cruise and get into port without a passport. I also had no problems filling out the online information and it still is giving the ability to put in BC and then Gvt ID.

If you are on a closed loop cruise, you will not need a passport. Unless your cruiseline's requirements are more stringent than that of the government. You can check at the Department of Homeland Security's website.

How will the final WHTI requirements affect passengers going on cruises?

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by DOS, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport when you dock at a foreign port, depending on the islands or countries that your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruiseline to ensure you have the appropriate documents for the stops you’ll be making on your cruise.

Source: http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1206635771151.shtm

Also, of course if you have a passport, they would not turn that down as ID. I'm sure it's the PREFERRED identification to be used.

And as always, a passport is recommended, but not always obtainable for last minute cruising, etc., etc. If you don't have a passport and get stuck in a foreign country (get hospitalized or are late to catch the cruise for departing), then you're pretty screwed (for lack of better terms).

We were very careful to not do things like ride scooters, hurt ourselves, walk very far (I'm 6 mos. pregnant) and to get back onto the boat WAY early.

Archived