Suri Suri Falls hike is "extreme activity" ..

Thoth

Just booked Carnival's "River hike to Suri Suri Falls" shore excursion online. Has anyone done this hike ? Sounds like fun, but it is listed as "Extreme Activity" . In the book it states "please consult shore excursions staff before booking this excursion", but the description mentions only downhill walking and crossing a river. Can it be THAT challenging?

The hike to Sari Sari falls is quite challenging - you cross the river several times and need to concentrate a lot on jumping from rock to rock! Well worth it though.

Thanks for the response...and sorry about misspelling it.

I'm 43 and do quit a bit of walking, about an hour 5 times a week. I don't run very well though. I noticed that the minimum age is 6 years so i figure that if a 6 year old can do, so can I. Back in September I walked into the narrows and wadded through the Virgin River at Utah's Zion National Park and just loved it. Sari Sari hike sounds so similar!

Also I read where it takes 45 minutes to one hour to get to the falls...that doesn't sound so bad.

I am thinking about this excursion, too. I will be on the Carnival Destiny for the 1/28/08 sailing.

When are you going?

Janet

When you return from the Destiny, please let us know how it went.

I'm on the 13 April 08 Carnival Destiny itinerary. Looks like my hike is 15 April. I booked my excursion so early because I'm so darned impatient in that once I book a cruise I'm obsessed. I was fidgety and shopping for excursions helps.

• 3 weeks later...
Rock hopping in water -- does this mean you can do this in water shoes v. hiking boots?

I don't know. That's a good question. These water shoes...are they designed to walk on dirt paths for extended times.

I don't know. That's a good question. These water shoes...are they designed to walk on dirt paths for extended times.

The bottoms of mine are fairly sturdy thick rubber w/ good soles for traction & decent support but from your Q I'm guessing, less water, more path? Maybe I'll just throw the very lightweight shoes in my pack & have them just in case but have the sneakers on my feet. Is that a better plan?

The bottoms of mine are fairly sturdy thick rubber w/ good soles for traction & decent support but from your Q I'm guessing, less water, more path? Maybe I'll just throw the very lightweight shoes in my pack & have them just in case but have the sneakers on my feet. Is that a better plan?

That sounds like a good idea to me.

As for me, I'll just pack an extra pair of shoes to get wet.

• 3 months later...

I'm back from that cruise. Since I wasn't feeling that well I exchanged the Sari Sari tour for the presumably easier Trafalgar & Emerald Pool tour. Good thing I did ! The Trafalgar falls and Emerald pool are both across slippery terrain and might not be so easy for some. I had on good shoes and still slipped down 3 times. My guide stated that the Sari Sari and Middleham Falls were both much harder to reach.

By all means, see the wonderful waterfalls of Dominica, just exercise good caution. Pack some good walking shoes for one.

• 3 months later...

I'm really interested in this hike, but I would love to hear from someone who's done it - I don't like the idea of hiking around in sopping wet shoes all day, and taking them back to my room on the ship... so I wonder if I could do the hike in good sandals instead (so it would be nice to knwow aht the terrain is like).... or if we would have time to change quickly from the hikers to the sandals just before crossing the river.

I'm really looking forward to the hike, but like the worrywort I am, would love to have a better idea of what it will be like. :)

Meg

Archived