RCL vs NCL

ginger123snaps

Are royal carribean cruises that much better then norwegian? I mean do you get more for your money with royal carribean? I'm only asking because their pricing is so much higher compared to norwegian. Am I getting something more of added value? People keep saying that Royal Carribean is a step above Norwegian...but what gives royal carribean that edge? I sailed royal carribean years ago and honestly I just can't remember it being anymore special then norwegian

We are going on the Explorer of the Seas next year and plan on going on NCL Gem a short time after that. We want to experience many cruise lines, not just one. I think like with most things, people just have a preference. You know, I like Pepsi more than coke or I like GM better than Ford and the list goes on. Not my preference just an example. I like beer and anything that gets me from point A to point B with no problem :D

It really depends on your likes/dislikes and what ship you are sailing. Oasis/Allure would be much different than NCL Sky or Dawn (smaller class ship) but NCL EPIC or Breakaway would be similar. All the ships have the same "bones" they are cruiselines with cabins, buffet and MDR food, kids programs etc. Some have better bells and whistles than others but for the most part are more alike than you realize. Try each one and see which one fits your family best. I have had great service and poor service on each line I have been on.

It really depends on your likes/dislikes and what ship you are sailing. Oasis/Allure would be much different than NCL Sky or Dawn (smaller class ship) but NCL EPIC or Breakaway would be similar. All the ships have the same "bones" they are cruiselines with cabins, buffet and MDR food, kids programs etc. Some have better bells and whistles than others but for the most part are more alike than you realize. Try each one and see which one fits your family best. I have had great service and poor service on each line I have been on.

Yep this ^^^ :)

You will find TONS of threads fighting over why Oasis/Allure is better than Epic/Breakaway on the boards and VICE VERSA - pending on which board you are looking at ;)

We had a great time on Epic and Gem. We know we love RCI. So we just bounce back and forth between the two :)

This year as in last year - I am planning to sail both RCL and NCL this year. Just keeping an eye out on prices and itineraries that will work for us.

Thanks for your replies. This is what i had figured...i was checking out pricing for royal carribean and told the travel agent that we booked with norwegian epic haven suite...he kind of smirked and said well royal carribean is considered to be a step above norwegian...so i was wondering if i was missing something.

Thanks for your replies. This is what i had figured...i was checking out pricing for royal carribean and told the travel agent that we booked with norwegian epic haven suite...he kind of smirked and said well royal carribean is considered to be a step above norwegian...so i was wondering if i was missing something.

I'd find another agent - NCL has the best suite perks (so I've been told), at the best prices. You will be pampered.

For me personally- I really don't want a great cabin but an inferior ship. I have sailed NCL and the standard cabins are really small and not good for four people. The Haven Suite- I'm sure will be great but I know in life and cruising... I don't want the most expensive cabin on an inferior ship. I'd rather have a nice cabin on a better ship. Why? Because I'm not cruising to stay in the cabin. I'm cruising to enjoy all the other avenues available to me on the ship.

If you have 4000 passengers on a ship will you or your children get the special attention they need in the youth program? Is the food really good in the free areas? Is freestyle dining really great or are there 30- 45 minutes wait time for these venues? Are you into a theme park atmosphere or a more calming atmosphere?

Radiance class ships on Royal Caribbean are less kiddy. The Freedom and Oasis Class ships are going to be more casual and geared really IMO to families with kids but I personally don't want a kiddy ship. I like a ship that offers things for kids but isn't dumbed down for everyone else- like the ugly pool area on Royal's larger ships. Eye-sore comes to mind. Also the hyper atmosphere onboard is something that I don't enjoy. I like a relaxing cruise with enough to interest my kids.

Also- consider the smoking policy onboard. If you have a cabin with a balcony, is smoking allowed on balconies? If so, are they allowed on all balconies or certain balconies? I can tell you that my son abhors smoke and if they haven't been acquainted with it- you may find that it triggers asthma.

Look at the ship reviews and the passenger to crew ratio before booking. This is important. Service is very important to me. I don't want to see dirty towels everywhere, dishes in the hallways or have long lines and wait times. That's why I hate theme parks and disney hotels- they are too many kids and it is claustrophobic. I don't want to live in a theme park for seven days. But that is just me.

The haven is its own self contained "calming atmosphere". It has its own EVERYTHING. It has its own pool area. It has its own sun deck. It's own EATERIES.

Rebecca - you are talking "staying in a cabin" - the Haven is not just one cabin. Those who book "the haven" use certain facilities separate from the other guests.

If my girls could have had Epic AND the haven - they would have been in HEAVEN. As it was - we just toured it on Epic and my girls were upset that we had to leave to make way for the actual guests.

Part of the Haven on Epic

8D37BBB6-2F41-455B-B0A4-D4AB57283D96-611-00000052BE7DC46C.jpg

We've taken cruises on most of the big box brands... Everything except Holland America.

I will say that I am a big RCI fan. Comparing our two last cruises, the Oasis and the Epic, I would have to say that I enjoyed the Oasis a bit more than the Epic.

It came down to expectations... I have personal preferences that others don't share. I'm a MDR early seating kinda guy, not a big fan of My Time Dining. I mean, if I'm going to go to dinner as early as possible to not have to wait for a table, why not just have a set seating time? But what I liked most between the two was the lines, or lack thereof. It felt like there were fewer lines associated with the Oasis.

Aboard the Epic, there would be lines to get into a venue starting 20 minutes before the start of the show. So walking around the ship, you'd encounter these lines. Of course, we didn't have a Haven suite. I'm sure if we paid extra for the Haven, it may have been a different experience. I guess it's good that they have, basically, "First Class" and "Steerage", if you want to spend the extra bucks or not... but it's not my thing.

Archived