Fare Change After Booking & Paying

mc_reeve

I am not unhappy about our choice of a cruise and we probably got a fair deal - but the fares on the cruise we booked have dropped dramatically since the last time I checked. For what we paid, we could upgrade at least one catagory or saved about 30% off our current room compared to what we paid a few months ago. I suspect its like buying a car or TV - sales come and go and I missed out by buying early. However, as a relative newbie to cruising, I am curious as to what others have been able to accomplish in situations like this.

The cruise is scheduled for early March - our deadline for full payment was 3 weeks ago and we are paid in full.

Most sales after final payment are for new bookings only. Since you have made the final payment, it is not likely to be worth it to cancel and re-book, so they often will not match it for you. But it can't hurt to ask. Call your TA or cruise line

Is this your NCL cruise? If so, chances are you will not get OBC or a refund. But there is a chance they will agree to upgrade you to a higher category for free (if same or lower) or for the fare difference (if higher). Check to see if there is a cabin you'd like to upgrade to (some people like their lower category cabin better than some cabins in higher categories...so be sure the upgrade seems desirable to you). If so, call your TA if you used one. Call NCL if you booked direct. They are within their rights to say a "deal is a deal," but you have a decent shot at that upgrade. Good luck.

I have had my price decreased on many cruises when I found a lower fare for my sailing. A quick note or call to my travel agent and it was taken care of. I agree you won't get a refund but a cabin upgrade is nothing to laugh at either. I've had this occur on Holland America and Princess.

This happened to me on our cruise in January, so I called the cruise line and asked for an upgraded room. They were willing to give me an upgraded room which I was very happy with.

Call the cruise line or your travel agent and ask.

All you can do is call and ask -- if you have a TA -- have that person make the call. The cruise line will not deal with you personally unless you booked with them.

You may luck out and be upgraded to a better cabin.

This is normal for cruise lines to drop prices after others have made final payment as they want to get all the cabins filled.

Something else to be aware of -- these are usually flash sales and for new bookings only. There could be a penality if you decide to cancel your original booking and book a better cabin or even a cabin in the same category you are in now.

All you can do is call and ask -- if you have a TA -- have that person make the call. The cruise line will not deal with you personally unless you booked with them.

You may luck out and be upgraded to a better cabin.

This is normal for cruise lines to drop prices after others have made final payment as they want to get all the cabins filled.

Something else to be aware of -- these are usually flash sales and for new bookings only. There could be a penality if you decide to cancel your original booking and book a better cabin or even a cabin in the same category you are in now.

Looks like your on NCL's Jade in March? They are pretty good about getting you an upgrade if one is available. Make sure it will not affect any OBC or "specials" you might have. If you are not pleased with the first answer you get, call back and try again. I have had great success with getting a better room/suite in this same situation.

Carnival has "Early Saver". You have to book six months ahead for 7+ day cruises, less for 5 or 6 day cruises. Every time YOU see a price drop you notify them and they lower your final payment to match that price. This is not automatic, YOU must tell them when it goes down. After final payment you get on board credit. Last year we had $240 OBC on each of our B2B cruises.

Looks like your on NCL's Jade in March? They are pretty good about getting you an upgrade if one is available. Make sure it will not affect any OBC or "specials" you might have. If you are not pleased with the first answer you get, call back and try again. I have had great success with getting a better room/suite in this same situation.

Yes.........Go for an upgrade!~"If you are not pleased with the first answer you get, call back and try again."

NCL is very "flexible", we have received perks and OBC's for the craziest of inquiries ;)

Archived