The upgrade fairy paid us a visit!

ellamalta

Must be a lucky day for MSC followers today. Probably the Divina visiting Malta today brought luck with her! We had 2 outside cabins on deck 5, cat 5 booked and today got upgraded to 2 balcony cabins on deck 11, cat 9! Sounds great, yes? There is only one problem though, one cabin will have 2 adults, a 4 yr old and a 1 1/2 yr old. The younger one is full of tricks, can find a way to open any door. Does anyone have any idea if the balcony doors have locks high up where he cannot reach them? Also, has anyone ever come up with any way to lock the cabin door (door to the corridor)? I do not fancy putting on an alarm, cause if he opens the door, he can still get his little hand caught inside it. Please help!

Must be a lucky day for MSC followers today. Probably the Divina visiting Malta today brought luck with her! We had 2 outside cabins on deck 5, cat 5 booked and today got upgraded to 2 balcony cabins on deck 11, cat 9! Sounds great, yes? There is only one problem though, one cabin will have 2 adults, a 4 yr old and a 1 1/2 yr old. The younger one is full of tricks, can find a way to open any door. Does anyone have any idea if the balcony doors have locks high up where he cannot reach them? Also, has anyone ever come up with any way to lock the cabin door (door to the corridor)? I do not fancy putting on an alarm, cause if he opens the door, he can still get his little hand caught inside it. Please help!

We cruise with our DD since she was 1 year old ,always balcony cabin,nevr had problem. Doors have locks and you will not leave them alone any way (I hope)

.........and the buttons for the lock are quitebstiff, really don't see how young fingers would manage to push them in. The doors are heavy to slide too. Really think you can celebrate your great upgrade without ay concerns over safety

Thanks so much for your answers. Of course I wont leave him alone (or with the 4 yr old), but just in case I need to use the bathroom, I dont want to have to worry and rush!

Oh I know what you mean. Whe I used to have my sister's two kids for the weekend when they wer 1 & 3, I was amazed at the grief they could get in to, when I turned my back for a minute, never mind went to the bathroom!

It really is a pity there isnt a removable key/card for opening the balcony door. Its ok and not a huge issue for us now when our girls are 3 + 5 but when they are older for example 14 + 12, I would like to get them a cabin of their own but I know I couldnt sleep a wink knowing the balcony was just a slidedoor away.

It really is a pity there isnt a removable key/card for opening the balcony door. Its ok and not a huge issue for us now when our girls are 3 + 5 but when they are older for example 14 + 12, I would like to get them a cabin of their own but I know I couldnt sleep a wink knowing the balcony was just a slidedoor away.

Get them an inside across from your balcony.:)

Hi there, sailed with my kids 2 yrs ago, my son (then aged 7) has been a sleepwalker since he could toddle so understand your concern. The balcony lock in our cabin was near the top of the door so no way could he reach it, which was reassuring. Sure enough he went wandering around the cabin on our first night and thought the sofa bed was the loo. Had a bit of explaining to do to the cabin steward! Cannot recall what I did with the main cabin door but it must have been fine or I would remember, as I am unashamedly neurotic about these things! Enjoy your cruise.

Archived