Sailing on the Star Clipper with a Gluten Allergy

ss cruising

I'm sailing on the Star Clipper October 15th in Tahiti. I have a Gluten allergy and am wondering if they are able to accomodate me with Gluten Free food. Has anyone had a past experience with food allergies on the Star Clipper? I mentioned my food alergy upon booking but I'm wondering if that information ever makes it to the ship.

Mike

• 1 month later...

I called Star Clipper in advance and informed them of my gluten allergy. They said they would note it and to inform the head waiter when I got on the ship. I sailed on the 10 day French Polynesia cruise on the Star Flyer on Oct 13th. It was fantastic! The head waiter (his name was Kemic) did an incredible job of looking after my dietary needs. At every meal he would inform me of what I could eat and what contained gluten (he checked it all out in advance with the chef). He was waiting for me with all the info every time I arrived in the dining room. He would even have gluten free cereal and bread waiting for me when I arrived in the morning! I was able to eat a large portion of the food they had without modifications as they tended to use more corn starch as a thickener rather than wheat. Of course they also made modifications to my food if I needed it. I never went hungry and never went without dessert. Kemic was so good about checking for gluten that he wouldn't let me eat the ice cream because he couldn't guarantee the ingredients (It was a local item. Most everything else is shipped in from Europe, I believe). Afternoon snacks tended to have gluten in them but there was always fruit available and it was the best fruit I ever had. I didn't get sick once on the cruise which I am very happy for. I wish I had Kemic on the rest of our Polynesian vacation as I wasn't quite as lucky with the food after I left the ship.

Have a good time!

Mike

Suefrankway, if you consider making a cruise in January you better mention your gluten allergy as soon as possible to Star Clippers. They prefer to have this information at least six weeks in advance, so they can adjust their stock.

I had a similar experience with Kemic. Wonderful man, I got a special desert every evening. Hopefully Kemic will be there when I am doing the repositioning from Papeete to Lisbon. Luckily for me, I now only have a lactose allergy, I still have to be careful with gluten though, but it is much better.

Enjoy your cruise.

Pralientje

Archived