Train Tip Panama

Reina del Mar

Can anyone please tell us more about the train trip in Panama ? Would you consider it more interesting than staying onboard or transferring to small boats to go through the canal on a partial transit cruise ??? ( Husband bit of train buff !):mad:

Any other information / suggestions would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

The ship itself will be going thru 3 sets of locks on the partial....into Lake Gatun, where any excursions will be tendered.

All of the excursions are really long....but if you like trains, then you'll probably enjoy this.

We stayed on the ship....the passage out of the lake back to the dock was quite pleasant, as there were no big crowds like there were in the morning passages...most had left the ship for their excursions.

Can anyone please tell us more about the train trip in Panama ? Would you consider it more interesting than staying onboard or transferring to small boats to go through the canal on a partial transit cruise ??? ( Husband bit of train buff !):mad:

Any other information / suggestions would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

If he's a train buff, then it might be worth it but otherwise, I thought it was way overpriced for the experience. Only one side of the train can really see the Canal (if you're on the other side, you have to look over and between the people lining the windows closest to the Canal) and even then, there are trees and a lot of vegetation along the banks so you get only glimpses of it. If it were me, I'd take the small boat to experience the Canal unless being on the train is really important to your DH.

If he's a train buff, then it might be worth it but otherwise, I thought it was way overpriced for the experience. Only one side of the train can really see the Canal (if you're on the other side, you have to look over and between the people lining the windows closest to the Canal) and even then, there are trees and a lot of vegetation along the banks so you get only glimpses of it. If it were me, I'd take the small boat to experience the Canal unless being on the train is really important to your DH.

I second what Pam said!

Folks that were in the dome car were even more disappointed because the air conditioning wasn't working. It's a nice train ride, but you really don't see much and the time on the bus was really long, too. Of the two, I'd say take the smaller boat, or just stay on the ship and enjoy the day.

Hi!

My husband and I did the train ride in the domed car about 3 years ago, and we loved it. We rode the train round trip, and we were transfered to a bus for a couple of hours for more intensive sight seeing on the Pacific side. Those who did the small ship through the canal also loved their tour and probably saw even more than we did, but they returned to the ship much later and were much more tired. If you want to get to the Pacific side of the Panama Canal using a very comfortable means of transportation, the train is a very relaxing and interesting way to do it.

We would definitely do it again and highly recommend it.

Reggie

I found the train trip a delightful experience. Our ship stayed 2 days in Panama City; one day to take excursions, the 2nd day to transit the canal on the Princess ship.

The train was very comfortable with large picture windows. Sometimes we traveled thru jungle and farm land and sometimes we traveled along the canal. Both sights were beautiful and interesting. Delicious cookies and lemonade were served, and of course the air conditioning made the trip comfy.

I would recommend it highly, especially to a train buff.

We took the boat tour-I assume the main reason for your trip is to see the Panama Canal. The trip was wonderful--small boat in large lock--you get the real feel of the transit--it is narrated---the sights are extraordinary. Wear comfortable attire/shorts etc--it can get hot.

Archived