does anyone have a picture of Kilauea volcano lava flow from cruise ship at night

g2-jet

Is this something you can see quite frequently on the cruises? My husband and I set sail on Saturday and he just got a new digital slr and would love to get a shot of it.

If you could tell me what port to look for this I would be glad to try and get a shot and post it for you. I will be putting all of our photos on webshots, but I could also send you the file.

I don't believe the Wind sails by the volcano on the 11-night cruise. The first port is Hilo and then the Wind heads north to Maui after leaving Hilo. We can see the ships that do sail by the volcano after leaving Hilo from our home, and we only see the Wind go by on the 10 night itinerary. We sailed the 11 night Wind itinerary last Sept. and did not cruise by the volcano. Sorry you won't get to view the lava at night...but you will LOVE the cruise. Have fun!!

Hi,

Yes, I believe most cruise ships try to pass this. We went past it the night we left Hilo. When you board the ship, ask them. They also will have it listed in your daily bulletin. It is very hard to photograph because of the ship movement - really will need a tripod and a very, very good camera with max zoom capacity. Good luck. If you are able to get a shot, please let me know. Enjoy your cruise. We went on pride of aloha and they sure have cleaned up their act. We enjoyed this cruise so much.

g2-jet

• 4 weeks later...

Just got off the 11-night Wind and we didn't get to see it. I did take tons and tons of pictures of everything else though.

They are finally up on my webshot page - the link below should be working now.

Our cruise on the Sereanade did not sail past the volcano. The route took us from Kona to Hilo then on to Vancouver but the captain chose to go the north route around the Big Island rather then the south. Needless to say I was a little disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...
I have one from a website I found and tried to post it, but it is too big. If you give me your email I will gladly email it to you!

Hi,

I was also on the Norwegian Wind just recently and my photos of the volcano didn't come out either, so I'd love you to email me(see profile) the photo you found on the web. Many thanks.

Cuppy, your photos are great! What kind of camera did you use for the underwater shots? they came out great..I can't wait to get there

We will be on the pride of aloha, and hope we do get to see the lava flow at night. we have balcony rooms and were hoping to catch some sites in the evenings.

On POAloha, you will be able to see the lava at night from either side of the ship. I took a photo of it with a Panasonic DCM FZ3. It has a 12X zoom, with image stablization. My friend's 3X zoom photos were all black. My photo is fairly good. I can email it to you, if you like.

On POAloha, you will be able to see the lava at night from either side of the ship. I took a photo of it with a Panasonic DCM FZ3. It has a 12X zoom, with image stablization. My friend's 3X zoom photos were all black. My photo is fairly good. I can email it to you, if you like.

I'd love to see your photo, can you send it to me please?

sjlowe@verizon.net

Thanks! :)

My photos also came out black so please can you send me one too. claire@thornbury8.fslife.co.uk

Thanks a lot.:D

• 3 weeks later...
I have one from a website I found and tried to post it, but it is too big. If you give me your email I will gladly email it to you!

Hi Chicky. I'd love to see that photo. Would you please send it to my e-mail? lucyffein@earthlink.net. Thanks so much.

By the way our birthdays are 2 days apart!! Have a happy 2005 birthday!!

Lucy

Susanne, I'd love to see your photo. You have great photographic equipment, better than mine. Please send it to me at lucyffein@earthlink.net

Many thanks,

Lucy

• 5 weeks later...
Does anyone have a picture they might share of the lava flow taken at night while passing it from a cruise ship? None of my pictures turned out. Thanks.

Our cruise was on Pride of America 7/30 thru 8/6/05. I had to try to photograph it, and I'm glad that I did. I shot a full roll of Fuji NPZ 800 ASA film/36 exposures using my Canon EOS with 50mm-200mm zoom lens. I used a monopod to help steady the camera due to the wind, and movement of the ship. Out of 36 exposures on 4x6 photo prints, I was happy to get three good shots, one of them I am especially pleased with. In two of these shots, the lava flow is seen as it hits the ocean. It appears as a horizontal yellow/orange image, with white ribbon flows, and red/orange steam (3" across in one photo, and 4" in another). This scene is surrounded by the blackness of the mountain and the night (about 10:30pm). The 3rd and best photo has the same image as described above, however in the foreground it shows the ship's railing one deck below, and part of the lamp posts (at poolside) as taken from one level above the Key West Bar & Grill. It's my favorite shot because it shows the ship's proximity to the lava flow, and it shows the width of the lava flow in the background. I'm quite pleased with my efforts considering the ship's distance from the lava flows, the wind on the open deck, the movement of the ship, and the blackness of the night. In all honesty, these photos still need captions as Mr. John Q. Public would not know what he was looking at unless told, as it looks like a fire in the distance against a black background. Still, I am happy & pleased none the less.

LucyF

Hi Crewsin250, yes I'll post. However, I'll need to figure out how to do it. On rare occasions, my home computer will allow me to post text, but usually I have view-only capability from there. My work computer is fully functional, so I'll have to use it. I'll have to figure out how to get the photos to my work computer in a form that I can use to post. So patience please.

I've looked on the CC boards and can find no tips or suggestions as to how to do it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

LucyF

Hi Crewsin250, I've posted them in a new thread on this Hawaii post. Look for them there, you'll notice the title. I'm not savvy when it comes to computers, so it appears that instead of the actual photographs, I posted attachments. I have lots to learn.

LucyF

Archived