3 huge RCCL ships at FLL on Dec 8

We are sailing out of Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale on Dec 8 on Oasis. That is going to be a VERY BUSY day at Port Everglades....if anyone is going to be there, plan accordingly. Oasis, Liberty, and Independence will all be there together, as well as 1 Holland ship and 2 Princess ships (I wonder if I've forgotten any others). We are actually just "changing ships" that day...arriving on Independence and transferring over to Oasis. But, anyone driving or shuttling in may have a lot of traffic. The Caribbean season has officially started....YAY! Is this some sort of record for RCCL ships? 2 Freedom-class ships and 1 Oasis-class ship in port at the same time? WOW!

Peter

here is a list from cruisecal with the ships info

Ship Date Port Other Ships in Port

Oasis Of The Seas Depart: 05:00 PM 12/08/2012 Fort Lauderdale - Port Everglades, Florida Eurodam 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Caribbean Princess 7:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Grand Princess 7:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Liberty Of The Seas 7:00 AM - 4:30 PM (Dock)

Independence Of The Seas 5:30 AM - 5:30 PM (Dock)

We are sailing out of Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale on Dec 8 on Oasis. That is going to be a VERY BUSY day at Port Everglades....if anyone is going to be there, plan accordingly. Oasis, Liberty, and Independence will all be there together, as well as 1 Holland ship and 2 Princess ships (I wonder if I've forgotten any others). We are actually just "changing ships" that day...arriving on Independence and transferring over to Oasis. But, anyone driving or shuttling in may have a lot of traffic. The Caribbean season has officially started....YAY! Is this some sort of record for RCCL ships? 2 Freedom-class ships and 1 Oasis-class ship in port at the same time? WOW!

Peter

We'll be on the Indy

Peter ~ I have seen 3 RCI ships before last season Navigator, Oasis class and Liberty but you are right 2 Freedom class and an Oasis class so it would be more passengers on RCI ships on one given Saturday. :)

This Saturday there are actually 8 cruise ships in Port Everglades. The only RCI is Oasis of the Seas. Lots of fun to watch on the webcams :)

This Saturday is the official start of the Ft. lauderdale winter cruise season. 4 of the cruise terminals have been renovated and will open for the first time Saturday to handle the load.

Carnival Freedom

Grand princess

Eurodam

Carib princess

Eclipse

Oasis

Silver Whisper

This Saturday is the official start of the Ft. lauderdale winter cruise season. 4 of the cruise terminals have been renovated and will open for the first time Saturday to handle the load.

Carnival Freedom

Grand princess

Eurodam

Carib princess

Eclipse

Oasis

Silver Whisper

My copy of Port Everglades Cruise Guide for 2013 is also listing Emerald Princess in port as well this Saturday Nov 17.

Peter ~ I have seen 3 RCI ships before last season Navigator, Oasis class and Liberty but you are right 2 Freedom class and an Oasis class so it would be more passengers on RCI ships on one given Saturday. :)

This Saturday there are actually 8 cruise ships in Port Everglades. The only RCI is Oasis of the Seas. Lots of fun to watch on the webcams :)

Oy Vey! Imagine the traffic getting into the port on that day!??

But you're right -- it will be a great day for watching the webcam .. I might have to make up some tropical cocktails in the blender for my souvenir flashing RCCL glass that day as i watch (and eat my heart out!) :D

Reminds me of last year on Navigator. Port Everglades set world record for cruisers that day with 8 ships in port and more than 53,000 cruisers passing thru. It was hectic with all the cabs, vans, and people - but fun and exciting.

See Sun Sentinel article at following link.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-11-26/news/fl-cruise-ships-in-port-20111125_1_cruise-port-everglades-msc-poesia

"November 17, 2012 is the first of six days during Port Everglades’ cruise season, November through April, where eight cruise ships will be berthed at the same time requiring the use of all cruise terminal facilities in the Port. The other dates are: December 1, 2012; December 22, 2012; January 6, 2013; March 17, 2013; and, April 6, 2013."

Source: Cruise Industry News

Port Everglades Completes Cruise Terminal Upgrades

I would hate to see the airport the day before, the day of and the day of disembarkation!

Imagine the bedlam if there are weather delays for the fllights coming into FLL that day.

As a former airline employee, I dont even wanna THINK about what a mess that could turn into!!

Days like that tax the shoreside personnel skills and flexibility beyond the normal limit....it also tests their tolerance level big time.

Both big players, CCL & RCL , do not establish staffing levels predicated on a 5-6 times a year event such as this, but more properly along a median level.

No matter how hard every one tries, when you have such an influx of disembarking / embarking mass of humanity ( plus all shore side-related activities), something goes a bit sideways.....but somehow, all ships leave with a happy load of guests and a satisfied officers contingent on board.....and every single shoreside personnel can't wait for that beer when it's all over !!!!:D

It'll be fun to watch the parade as it leaves...one by one...

Cheers

It'll be fun to watch the parade as it leaves...one by one...

Cheers

I'll be down there for the Dec. 1st exit parade of ships, my first time ever seeing that many cruise ships all at the same time in person. I'm also taking a harbor tour to get some decent pictures of the ships docked that day. Should be very cool! :D

Dec. 1, 2012

1 - Eurodam

2 - Oasis of the Seas

3 - Caribbean Princess

4 - Carnival Freedom

5 - Celebrity Eclipse

6 - Coral Princess

7 - Grand Princess

8 - MSC Poesia

Curious minds want to know, is this the scenario where Liberty boards out of that shed building with that horrible looking line that was posted on here in pics last year?

I was part of that line last year - Pier 29. It was like boarding a ship at a warehouse instead of a cruise terminal. You have ocean shipping containers around, lots of trees and chain-link fence, yep its like a warehouse. The cab drives down this long stretch of road with containers on one side and overgrown vegetation on the other - you start to wonder where they are taking you. But if it gets me onboard a cruise ship, I'm OK with it. Once you get inside on second floor, it looks like all other terminals.

"November 17, 2012 is the first of six days during Port Everglades’ cruise season, November through April, where eight cruise ships will be berthed at the same time requiring the use of all cruise terminal facilities in the Port. The other dates are: December 1, 2012; December 22, 2012; January 6, 2013; March 17, 2013; and, April 6, 2013."

We will be there Jan. 26 and Feb. 10 for boarding. Glad there won't be that many ships on our boarding days! :eek: Sure to be a mess with that many people coming and going!

We will be there on January 6th!!! Thankfully we will be flying in the day prior:D

I would hate to see the airport the day before, the day of and the day of disembarkation!

It will be fun watching the web cam that day!

I'll let you know....we fly in December 7th to board Oasis on the 8th!!!

Phew! All of that info makes me really glad that when we board Vision in February, the only other ship in port is Zuiderdam. I don't think I'd enjoy plowing through a monster crowd with 8 ships all doing turnaround.

I did 5 ships in 2011 and it was fleet week so hotels were at a premium that weekend.

I have sailed out of Port Everglades with 8 ships in port including Oasis, Liberty and Independence. The only issue was the backlog of cars at the gate to get into the port. Other than that everything went quite smoothly. And for that sailing we were on Independence at one of the old terminals not at terminal 18.

Imagine the bedlam if there are weather delays for the fllights coming into FLL that day.

As a former airline employee, I dont even wanna THINK about what a mess that could turn into!!

Oh what a mess that would be!!! :eek: :eek:

Winter weather, mechanical, crew mishaps.......just about anything can throw a wrench into it!!

Archived