Sydney hotel

GAJE

We will be on the HAL' s Oosterdam. I have no idea what terminal she would use.

If your cruise is Jan 5 2014, Oosterdam's scheduled to board at the OPT and return to White Bay 5 ;

Oosterdam 05-Jan-2014 07:00 (Sun) 05-Jan-2014 18:30 (Sun) Overseas Passenger Terminal OPT CVL Holland America Line

Oosterdam 19-Jan-2014 07:00 (Sun) 19-Jan-2014 18:30 (Sun) White Bay 5 WHB5 CVL Holland America Lines

We have just stayed at the Marriott at Circular Quay, very nice hotel, pricey though. We stayed in a Opera House view. Very closer to the OPT, you could easily walk, or catch a taxi. Cost just under $20 for a taxi.

If you join the Marriott program on line, which is free, you can also have free wifi at the Marriott, as most hotels in Australia charge for internet access.

This question has probably been asked dozens of time before, so forgive me. What are some hotels close to the cruise ship terminal?

Thanks, Betty

Good hotel that gets good reviews and has rooms bigger than average ( in fact for the price mentioned at some of the hotels above you can get a 1 bedroom hotel/apartment room) is The Rendezvous Sydey The Rocks which is one street back from the road the OPT is on and about a 10 minute walk.

I'm staying there and got a 1 bedroom for $270 a night( although I think prepay can go cheaper). You can also get Harbour View rooms with balconys...it's not a very tall building tho- I think 6 or 7 at most.

http://www.rendezvoushotels.com/sydneytherocks/default-en.html

This is a great value hotel overlooking Darling Harbour and popular with Cruise ship passengers as a short distance to wherever the ship is berthed

You can walk out to many restaurants and the attractions of Darling Harbour. The Monorail is a three minute walk and the Sydney central area 5 minutes walk (uphill)

TIP: If booking a Harbourview room request a high floor as there is a freeway roaring past between the hotel and the harbour.

We love the Four Seasons at Circular Quay. If you book early enough you usually get a much better rate than later in the year.

I always check prices throughout the year and if they come down, then I cancel and rebook but lately I have found that the prices seem to go up rather than down.

Jennie

We love the Four Seasons at Circular Quay. If you book early enough you usually get a much better rate than later in the year.

I always check prices throughout the year and if they come down, then I cancel and rebook but lately I have found that the prices seem to go up rather than down.

Jennie

I would agree the prices do go up. Better to making a booking that you have the option of cancelling, and if a better deal comes up cancel the first booking. We really liked the Marriott at Circular Quay. We actually found the prices went down for last December, which was the opposite 3 years earlier.

• 3 weeks later...
Off the top of my head,

Park Hyatt

Old Sydney Holiday Inn

Shangri La

Marriott

Sir Stamford

Just google Sydney hotels Rocks/Circular Quay and you will find quite a few.

We spent five nights at the Old Sydney Holiday Inn in the Rocks with an IHG friends and family rate that saved considerably. Details: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel-deals/1429799-ihg-friends-family-rate-2013-a.html

This is a nice hotel in a good, walkable area about 4 blocks from Circular Quay. Up on the roof (where the pool is), there is a fantastic view of the Harbour Bridge and all of Circular Quay.

I'm going to be a little different than everyone else. We stayed at the Radisson Hotel and Suites on Liverpool Street. This is not in the Rocks or Circular Quay area. We were a few blocks from Chinatown and two street over from George STreet, one of the main streets in Sydney. We liked this location for several reasons: being out of the main touristy are we found much more affordable prices for food particularly in Chinatown. A block away was a mall that was primarily underground. We were able to go to the small grocery store and get things for the cruise (wine, cheese, etc). Also lots of different food options that were very inexpensive and very good. We were a very short walk to the Harborside, Friendship Gardens. Easy access to the 555 Bus which is free and goes right to the wharf where we took a ferry as well as a boat ride in the harbor. There was so much in our area that I am very glad that we stayed there. Took a cab to the wharf and it was so problem at all.

We stayed at the Four Points Sheraton and enjoyed it very much. Very close to major attractions and it included a fantastic breakfast buffet.

I believe it is located in Darling Harbour. Took only a 5 minute taxi to get us to the dock for our cruise. Walked to get the water taxi's in about 15 minutes and then went to the Taronga Zoo. Got some outstanding pictures and alot of knowledge of the animals of Australia.

Happy sailing.

• 3 weeks later...

We had a wonderful stay at the Park Hyatt on the front end of a cruise last month. Can't be beat for service, room size, views and location. The concierge (Charles) was also extremely helpful at getting us restaurant reservations, even for restaurants that are booked up months in advance like Quay. It does all come at a high price, though.

On the back end of the cruise, we stayed at the Shangri-La, primarily to try something different and because it was several hundred dollars a night cheaper than the Park Hyatt. While still nice, we much preferred the location of the Park Hyatt and regretted our decision to go with Shangri-La at the end of the trip. Next time, we'll book only the Park Hyatt.

After reading all of your suggestions (Thank You!!!) and the numerous reviews on Trip Advisor, we booked our pre-cruise night at the Rendezvous the Rock. Their rate seemed much more reasonable than many others. We will see if we made the right decision. Post-cruise we will be at the Marriott Circular Quay as part of a land tour, so we will be able to compare. Thanks to all of you again.

Although the OP has already chosen a hotel, I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. We just returned from our wonderful cruise on the Solstice, and pre-cruise, we stayed at the Lord Nelson in the Rocks. It was an excellent location and we walked downhill 3 blocks or so with our luggage and dropped it off at the ship at Circular Quay on embarkation day. If you don't have too much luggage and are able-bodied, it's easily do-able. The price was around $190 per night, which is pretty cheap for Sydney.

Attached is a photo of our room on the second floor.

98.JPG.eead89ca621d36fa6b7c99c9348f5d40.JPG

Archived