Native food suggestion please

dogdog

Dear all,

We like food and we would like to try native jamaican food. Can you suggest some and where we can find it? Also, other than rum, what food can we bring home to surprise friends?

Thanks

Dear all,

We like food and we would like to try native jamaican food. Can you suggest some and where we can find it? Also, other than rum, what food can we bring home to surprise friends?

Thanks

You don't mention which port you will be visiting so I can't give a specific recommendation however the local informal dishes would certainly include Jerk

Jerk chicken, Jerk fish .... jerk is a method of preparation. Seek out a small 'jerk place' .... but be warned....real jerk is warm :eek: . Jerk goat? Bring home some real Walker's Wood Jerk seasoning to make your own at home.

Everyone knows that Red Stripe is JA beer - available in your local market probably....fewer know Dragon Stout ..... yummmm - We also really like TING, a grapefruit soft drink - not a purely JA thing as it is found in many islands...but close enough. I usually bring home a case when I go down for business. You can find it in Miami too, but outside of there????

Blue Mountain coffee - stay away from the tourist traps to buy it. Find a grocery store or even a street vendor the locals use.

~ these are a few of my favorite things ~ ~

I second the "jerk". Chicken, pork, etc. There will be little dive places that will have the best food. Local tour guides can get you to them or ask a taxi driver what is best.

Blue Mountain coffee always seems to be a favorite for people to bring back.

Local foods from JA are as follows:

Jerk chicken, pork

Curry chicken, goat, shirmp

Beef patty

Oxtail

Rice and peas

Fried plantains

Coco Bread

Ackee and salt fish

This should help you taste a lot of local favorites.

Archived