wine in the Copenhagen airport

mamayer

We are flying into the Copenhagen airport to embark on the Journey. Will we be able to buy wine in the airport to carry onto the ship?
My neighbor who now lives in the US, but grew up in Copenhagen, still works for a Danish company, and flies to Copenhagen many times a year says YES. Note that almost everything is quite expensive throughout Scandinavia. If you are willing to carry it, wine can be bought in duty free at your last stop before Copenhagen. We were on the 30 June Journey [loved it!] and had time during our connection in London Heathrow, and bought wine there. AZ says "two bottles" of wine, but does not specify size(!). We actually bought a 3 liter box [equals four bottles] of Australian Shiraz and got it on board with no trouble [i doubt they would have said anything about two boxes]. To be sure it was not Grand Cru, but not bad either. Box had the advantage of lighter weight and greatly reduced likelihood of breakage.The bladder in the box contracts with usage minimizing oxygen contamination. Since it was red wine we just set it on the shelf above the refrigerator cabinet [white would have fit in the fridge if you emptied out AZ's items for sale]; two wine glasses appeared beside the box without even requesting them, and the glasses were washed and placed back beside the box every evening while we were at dinner.

TravellerThom,

You are brilliant! We leave this week for Athens-Rome sailing and have been debating the issues of Az's policy. We have a 5-hour layover at Heathrow. Guess I'll be spending part of it shopping for wine boxes :D. Thanks for the tip.

TravellerThom,

You are brilliant! We leave this week for Athens-Rome sailing and have been debating the issues of Az's policy. We have a 5-hour layover at Heathrow. Guess I'll be spending part of it shopping for wine boxes :D. Thanks for the tip.

The shop we stopped at in LHR had boxes of Shariz, white (Chardonnay?), and rose (White Zin?) - slight vaiance in price but they were about 18 GBP [uS$30 or roughly US$7.50 per 750ml bottle equivalent]. We can get similiar boxes in the DC area for not much over $10, but $30/3 liters is still much cheaper than ship prices, and you can have a glass on your balcony without having to call room service or run to the bar. Note that AZ policy says two BOTTLES [per cabin, not per person], and does not specifically address boxes - it is pure speculation that they would allow two 3 liter boxes [and due to AZ giving us a one hour connection in LHR that we and 18 others missed, we didn't get on the Journey until the original sailing time of 5pm, and it is possible that they were being lienient figuring we'd already had enough hassles]. AZ caters to adults and treats their passengers as such, so I don't forsee any difficulties, but as always your mileage may vary. ENJOY.

Thom

TravellerThom,

Hi guys,

Since you are in Athens pre-cruise you will have opportunity to purchase before boarding the ship.

I had researched(google) about purchasing wine @ the Athens airport but got no information.

Please save some room @ the 3PM get together.We arrive in Athens (scheduled)12:30 -so not sure if we can make it on time.

Have safe flights and enjoy Athens.

Thanks Thom-- we just ended up with a 3 hr layover at LHR to be able to use FF miles at a discounted rate (1st class, practically a miracle). I wasn't thrilled about the 2nd connection, and this is certainly a silver lining.

If I remember correctly, London has multiple terminals, not all of which are connecting. Do you know which terminal, or if not, which airline, you happened to take through LHR? Oh, I just realized if we come in on AA and transfer to BA, we will probably have to change from T3 to T5-- does anybody know if that means we'll be going through security again? :/

Hi guys,

Since you are in Athens pre-cruise you will have opportunity to purchase before boarding the ship.

I had researched(google) about purchasing wine @ the Athens airport but got no information.

Please save some room @ the 3PM get together.We arrive in Athens (scheduled)12:30 -so not sure if we can make it on time.

Have safe flights and enjoy Athens.

Of course we will save room for you guys at the get together! Somehow from all our postings, I don't think our group will be one to dash off quickly :D. As far as the wine goes, we're planning on picking it up at Heathrow as TravelerThom mentioned. Much easier for us since we have the long layover anyway. Thanks for your good wishes, and we look forward to seeing you all next Sunday (so soon, already :eek:). Safe travels to all of you, too.

Jo

Thanks Thom-- we just ended up with a 3 hr layover at LHR to be able to use FF miles at a discounted rate (1st class, practically a miracle). I wasn't thrilled about the 2nd connection, and this is certainly a silver lining.

If I remember correctly, London has multiple terminals, not all of which are connecting. Do you know which terminal, or if not, which airline, you happened to take through LHR? Oh, I just realized if we come in on AA and transfer to BA, we will probably have to change from T3 to T5-- does anybody know if that means we'll be going through security again? :/

We were on flights arranged by AZ and arrived from IAD on BA at LHR Terminal 5, and departed on BA from the same Terminal and STILL had go through Security again. AA should be arriving Terminal 3 and BA's ATH flights depart Terminal 5 [bA does have some flights out of Terminal 3, but BA's website lists ATH out of 5]. Be glad that you have 3 hours in LHR, because it is possible that you will use most of that time making your connection. Several years ago before Terminal 5 opened, the minimum BA on-line connection from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1 was listed at 3 hours! I have traveled through a lot of airports, and even after having done [among many others] Delhi, Mumbai, Moscow, Brazzavile (Congo) and dirt strips in Central America I still find LHR to be one of my LEAST favorite airports. Seems like they take pride in maximizing the complications, but Terminal 5 is an improvement over what was there before. Becuase of having to go thru Security again, we [along with quite a number other AZ Journey passengers] missed our scheduled LHR connection, but BA did get us out on the next flight, called the Port Agent in CPH for us, and gave us a 5GBP voucher for a little sustenance. We were all the way at the back of our rebooked connection; as far as I know the BA Flight Attendant did not know that we had missed our connection but was definitely trying to keep us happy - I asked for spicy tomato juice and he asked if I didn't want some vodka in that and then also shoved two cans of Heiniken at me. Due to the missed connection in LHR we did not board the Journey until 5pm, its originally scheduled departure time, but they delayed departure for us [remember these were AZ arranged flights]. All's well that ends well, and the cruise itself was lovely.

Thom

Thanks Thom. We will be sure not to buy too many fluids in the states AND not to purchase anymore in LHR until we have cleared security! It sounds like you have had a lot of experience with difficult airports. Of all the places we've flown through in Europe, Africa, Asia and the Americas, I actually think CDG is generally the biggest nightmare-- but to be fair we've only flown there on Air France. Hopefully my luck at LHR will continue!

Archived