Where are the deals for DIY tours in 2013?

cruisin'mama

Last summer my friend and I spent a week touring on our own before we boarded the Millennium in Seward. We were able to get some great deals. We got the Comfort Inn Ship Creek in Anchorage for $89 per night and our car rental from Enterprise was less than $100 for 5 1/2 days. This year, when I look for NEXT summer, the Comfort Inn is $209 and the car rentals are between $300-$900. :O

I was able to book for 2011 about this time in 2010. When I found those deals, I posted them here on the Alaska board and was able to help others get the same great deals. I have been watching prices for weeks, and for some things in 2013 I'm still too early, but others are available, just very high in price.

I am wondering if anyone has found any good deals out there for 2013 for Anchorage or Seward for lodging or for Anchorage car rentals? Thanks for your help! I'll keep looking too and if I find anything, I'll share it on here too.

A car rental that I booked 3 weeks ago for next summer has already increased by 50%. I find that one key is having a year to look for bargains. Many of my deals come throughout the year.

Unfortunately the more widespread some "deals" become, the more vigilant the suppliers are to make sure they don't happen. Kind of a catch-22.

hopefully the enterprise deal is still to come. I made my reservation last yr on August 31. In 2010 the deal was at the end of July.

Book the best deal you can find then wait for something better. Checking web sites every few days is a small price to pay if you can save $400.

I'm traveling July 2013. Today, Alamo is the least expensive I have found $159 week for compact- I selected full size for $199 before fees which brought the total to $289.

I booked Fairfield Inn & Suites Government leisure rate $99.

Both reservations can be canceled without incurring fees.

I booked Fairfield Inn & Suites Government leisure rate $99.

Obviously one has to qualify for the government rate in order to book it (well I guess you could book it but once at check in and asked for proof of eligibility, they would turn the person away or charge a higher rate). I am sure you qualify - I am just stating this for others reading this. There was an issue a year or two ago with people using car rental discount codes that they didn't qualify for. It was a rude awakening when they had to pay a higher price at pick up since they didn't qualify for the rate booked.

If you check all the time for better deals, I've found clearing my files and cookies every day helps. I've gotten a price, gone back the next day to find it higher. Then cleared files, checked, and gotten the better deal again. Not sure it's fact, but seems to work for me. I just booked rental car for 2 days in Fairbanks. No deal but I can cancel with no penalty.

Lib

If you check all the time for better deals, I've found clearing my files and cookies every day helps. I've gotten a price, gone back the next day to find it higher. Then cleared files, checked, and gotten the better deal again. Not sure it's fact, but seems to work for me. I just booked rental car for 2 days in Fairbanks. No deal but I can cancel with no penalty.

Lib

I have been clearing my cookies before a new search, but still have no luck. I will keep searching though because you just never know.....

Hello:

Nothing to add except the $99.00 rate for the hotel is a pretty good deal (G) for those that can take it.

I'll be monitoring this board and a couple others.

I know there were some Groupon coupons that people have used so I'm not sure when they will start to hit for next year.

Prices have dropped a little on the Sun so I have a little money coming back. I can now pay for the tips ahead of time. (G)

Rogue

I just checked the Enterprise website and the prices for the 5th St. and International Airport Road locations ( NOT the airport location ) have dropped their prices.....

I was checking for the dates that I needed starting next July 19, 2013....

Here are the prices I found. They are less than half of what they were last week.....

A dotBlank.gifEconomy

dotBlank.gifico_2011chevyaveo5_sm.gif

see details dotBlank.gifChevy Aveo or similardotBlank.gif$ 189.99 USD / week

$ 229.01 USD Total

Other prices are:

compact-$189.99

Intermediate- $209.99

Standard- $219.99

Full size- $249.99

MiniVan- $384.99

Standard SUV- $399.99

Lg. SUV- $459.99

These are per week and plus taxes, etc.

I just checked the Enterprise website and the prices for the 5th St. and International Airport Road locations ( NOT the airport location ) have dropped their prices.....

I was checking for the dates that I needed starting next July 19' date=' 2013....

Here are the prices I found. They are less than half of what they were last week.....

A [img']http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/include/20120611072959/images/dotBlank.gif[/img]Economy

dotBlank.gifico_2011chevyaveo5_sm.gif

see details dotBlank.gifChevy Aveo or similardotBlank.gif$ 189.99 USD / week

$ 229.01 USD Total

Other prices are:

compact-$189.99

Intermediate- $209.99

Standard- $219.99

Full size- $249.99

MiniVan- $384.99

Standard SUV- $399.99

Lg. SUV- $459.99

These are per week and plus taxes, etc.

WOW - I would so love to do the economy, but there will be 4 of us and all our luggage so it's just not feasible. Thanks for the info - I need to look at Avis since my DH has vouchers that may get us either free or reduced rates (crossing fingers that they will!).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived