Cabo San Lucas vs. Puerto Vallarta

seabreezer

We have a choice of staying in a house in Punta Ballena near Cabo or a house in Real del Mar near Puerto Vallarta. We went to Cabo earlier this year but it's been 15 years since I've been to PV and I became quite sick when there and I also noticed the beaches were filthy. Have things improved there and can anyone give me any thoughts on how the two areas compare?

We only spent a few hours in each... however it seems that there is much more to do in PV. On our jungle tour, we met quite a few people that were staying at all-inclusives in PV and they had been very busy with activities. It also depends on what you like... smaller town exploring or larger city exploring. I think if I had to pick between the two, I would personally pick PV - just because of the variety of activities to do. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reponse. The two houses are each in quiet resort areas so the key to a happy vacation will be what's nearby. I'll be travelling with my in-laws who are ambitious, type A vacationers who need to be entertained constantly. I prefer a more relaxing vacation with some activities like snorkeling, whale watching, a little shopping and spa-ing. The in-laws like those things too but will do them all in one day!

Well, with that said, I am hedging that PV would be the place to go. You can relax at a beach and catch some activities and they can explore until their little hearts are content.

I had such a great time in each of our ports, that I can't wait to get back and explore even more... but alas, we must wait until 2006 to return. Enjoy your trip, wherever it may be!

• 4 months later...

I think Cabo is far more for the tourists then P.Vallarta with many new hotels.

I like both places, but P.Vallarta is more Mexico, more authentic. At the same time in and around Old Town there are many nice restaurants, bars, shops etc. In the outskirts it can be quiet.

Beaches are nice in both places.

I prefer P. Vallarta.

We prefer PV over Cabo. I've spent weeks in both and found Cabo to be too Americanized! Cabo was beautiful, fun and I would go back, but PV has more of my heart! I love the Jungle, the Malecon, the feel of the old mexican town and the beaches to the north are great.

I'm booking our next trip to PV for this May.

deb

Archived