New parking option for Bayonne

138east

Where's greatam? Gina - could you check out snap-parking.com which is a new parking garage on Freylingheisen Ave in Newark that is currently offering $8.99/day parking plus a free shuttle to the Cape Liberty. Someone on my Feb roll calls just used them for a cruise and were very happy with them. Don't know if this is a short term promotion for the rates and the free shuttle, but it's a new option for Bayonne. For the winter cruises it does offer covers parking, which is certainly attractive.

Thanks.

Carol

Their web site indicates the normal charge is $12.99 per day. The $8.99 rate is a grand opening special. Their quoted rates do not include 15% tax, so you'll be paying more than their advertised charge.

I can't find one word on their site about shuttle service, free or otherwise, to Cape Liberty. They only talk about their free shuttle to the airport.

Their location on Frelinghuysen Ave, in Newark is a long way from the port.

Their web site indicates the normal charge is $12.99 per day. The $8.99 rate is a grand opening special. Their quoted rates do not include 15% tax, so you'll be paying more than their advertised charge.

I can't find one word on their site about shuttle service, free or otherwise, to Cape Liberty. They only talk about their free shuttle to the airport.

Their location on Frelinghuysen Ave, in Newark is a long way from the port.

I have booked a spot with them for my february cruise. Prior to booking (last month) I called them and spoke to Cesar, the manager, who indicated that there would be no charge for transfers to the pier at least thru february. there is an earlier thread on snap-parking here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1734631

Steve

Where's greatam? Gina - could you check out snap-parking.com which is a new parking garage on Freylingheisen Ave in Newark that is currently offering $8.99/day parking plus a free shuttle to the Cape Liberty. Someone on my Feb roll calls just used them for a cruise and were very happy with them. Don't know if this is a short term promotion for the rates and the free shuttle, but it's a new option for Bayonne. For the winter cruises it does offer covers parking, which is certainly attractive.

Thanks.

Carol

We used them on our Dec 3rd cruise and were more than happy with the service. There was no charge for transportation to the ship and they were not sure if it would be free further down the road but for now it was free. They were very nice and the facility was very secure. The ride to and from the port took about 20 minutes each way. I would use them in the future!

Thanks.

Carol

That is a NEW purpose built facility for airport parking. I am sure the cheaper price and free shuttles to the port are all to get the word out about the facility. If they get enough airport traffic, the pier shuttles may remain free. But in this day and age of everything government going up, up, up in price it seems like weekly, I wouldn't hold my breath for the free shuttles. The Feds just tacked on an additional $12.50 per vehicle charge for 2013 UCR (Unified Carrier Registration) and gave trucking companies a month's notice of the increase.

It is a computer generated paper and doesn't cost any more to make one for one truck as it does for a company the size of SWIFT that needs thousands. They send you one copy and then you have to make the copies yourself for each truck. And for that, this year, we paid $91.50 per vehicle that crosses state lines. I want to know where my $12.50 per vehicle goes-but I digress. I don't even know what the paper is for but you better have it.

To the best of my knowledge, this parking garage is sure NOT like Premier Parking where someone rented an unused warehouse parking lot on the weekends and rented a couple of vans from wherever they could rent them from for a couple of days while ships were in port and HOPE for the best.

I can't find an actual owner but this one, I wouldn't hesitate to use them myself because it was built for AIRPORT parking, not cruise ship parking. And just to get the permits to get into an airport (ANY airport) for pickups and dropoffs on a REGULAR basis REQUIRES all the normal NYS and Federal DOT compliance (which would mean proper insurance AND DOT safety checked vehicles). Drivers for airport shuttle vans have to go through the same TWIC compliance checks (background check) that truck drivers going into the ports have to have.

Gina - thanks for the post. My gut feeling after I looked at their web site was that they are legitimately in the airport business and would have to have the appropriate insurance and licensing to operate at EWR. But I wanted someone who is an expert in this stuff to confirm it for everyone.

• 3 weeks later...
We used them on our Dec 3rd cruise and were more than happy with the service. There was no charge for transportation to the ship and they were not sure if it would be free further down the road but for now it was free. They were very nice and the facility was very secure. The ride to and from the port took about 20 minutes each way. I would use them in the future!

Did you have to wait long for the shuttle in either direction? It seems like the normal rate for cruise port parking is $12.99. If I had not read the posts here I would not have realized that the grand opening special also applied to the cruise parking. $8.99 for indoor parking is a great deal, especially during January

• 2 weeks later...

So, I am back from my cruise and parked at SNAP. I had a very good experience. When I got there initially, the guy didn't seem thrilled about taking me to the pier, but he agreed to (I had not called to speak to anyone, just made my reservation online). The driver doesn't know the tricks like getting into the left lane when you hit traffic on the approach road to the terminal, and we had a couple of Premier vans pass us (as well as other cars - I tried to tell him to get over but he didn't listen). I gave the guy a $5 tip when he dropped us off so he wouldn't be upset about coming to get us today. Anyway, I called them from the ship as we were waiting to get off. I told them we should be ready around 10:15 and they said they would have someone there to pick me up and to let them know when I had a better idea of the time. It turns out we got out even earlier than I expected (we had a departure time estimate of 10:30-10:45 but were called at 9:40) so I called when we got to the baggage area and they told me that the driver was on his way to drop someone else off. We had to wait maybe 10 minutes and he arrived. Obviously it was not as convenient as walking to my car, but at almost half the price of the pier parking ($76.37 with tax and some $4 fee vs $133 at the pier), it was worth it. Also saved a few dollars in tolls, I'm sure, especially since after I left SNAP, my GPS routed me thru Newark to Rt. 3 to Rt. 17 and I ended up not paying ANY tolls in NJ to get home!

They even washed my car for free! And it was waiting for me when I got there and they dropped the luggage off right at my car.

My only suggestion is to get there early. We were running late and did not arrive until 11:30 or so, and we hit traffic at the pier. Today when he came to pick us up and drop the other people off, it was much better. The driver said they had someone else parking for the cruise who was supposed to be arriving at noon and he wasn't looking forward to the traffic then.

I just checked this site out. It's a promotional $8.99 per day and free shuttle to the Newark Airport or Cape Liberty. You just have to register a credit card with them for payment.

Anyone else check it out yet?

I just checked this site out. It's a promotional $8.99 per day and free shuttle to the Newark Airport or Cape Liberty. You just have to register a credit card with them for payment.

Anyone else check it out yet?

SERIOUSLY???? Did you just read my latest post where I detailed my experiences parking there last week??? Also, I don't think I registered a credit card with them. That is only for their frequent parker program. I only had to pay when I picked up the car and gave them my credit card at that point.

• 1 month later...

We used Snap for our recent cruise. With the exception of waiting for the bus for the pier xfer, snap was great.

In their defense, the bus was delayed due to late arrival on the front end (and severe traffic at the pier) and our late arrival on the back end (we only waited 10 minutes here).

The price was right, the car was waiting for us when the bus brought us back, they even put our bags in the car for us !!!

I will DEFINITELY use them again!!

Steve

Archived