Do people really miss the boat in ports?

Angele000

So I've been reading stories of people really missing the boat in ports... does this really happen or is it being over stated. WOW that would really be bad news but somewhat entertaining to watch the people run for the ship.

I wonder sometimes if a few of those videos are staged. That is a tremendous marketing tool for the ship's excursions.

I have seen it happen a couple of times...folks racing up in a taxi or van...running to the pier to watch us sailaway.

Yep!! A friend has a few shots of a family climbing the rope ladder and that included grandma. Also had 2 family members who came pretty close to being added to the list, and they where not drinking. Father and son thought they had enough time to run back to port for a forgotten item. Not so. Their names where called repeatedly over the PA system. Needless to say my SIL was beyond furious. At the next port they were given a terse reminder about the required all aboard time from staff and family.

So I've been reading stories of people really missing the boat in ports... does this really happen or is it being over stated. WOW that would really be bad news but somewhat entertaining to watch the people run for the ship.

Oh yes it does happen. The first cruise I went on a cruise we left a couple in Juneau. The captain called their names for about a half hour and then we left. When we arrived in Victoria, there were Mr. and Mrs. TOO LATE waiting for us at the dock. The captain congratulated them for making it to the ship on time (over the loud speaker) and we all clapped and greeted them. Not so fun for them I am sure but it really made an impression on my traveling companions and me too.

YES. On our first cruise years ago a couple got left behind as we were pulling away. It was in Playa del Carmen (don't even think that's a port anymore). They stood on the dock screaming...it was awful to witness.

Captain sent the tender back to the pier to pick them up- I was surprised they did that!

I've always been very careful about getting back to the ship in plenty of time, but nothing makes more of an impression on you than the ship pulling away from the dock and seeing the mad, desperate sprint of those who never believed the ship would leave them behind.

The last time I saw this happen was in Cozumel. The late arriving couple barely made it (the ship was moving within 3 minutes after they boarded). I always check with the crew before I leave and make sure my watch is on ship's time. The cost, time and complications involved in making your way to the next port of call are enough to put the fear in ya. That and all of the late arrival videos you can find on Youtube

Oh yes, years ago while making a port call in Coz' I watched a lady with shopping bags walk down the pier about 10 minutes after the cruise ship left. She stopped, dropped the bags and started to look lost.

"Problem?" I called down from the bridge . . .

"my husband and kids are on that boat ..." as the tears began . . .

Short version of the story I called the cruise ship and asked them to slow so I could load the lady into our fast rescue boat and zipped her out to the ship where she climbed up the pilot ladder.

She was just a little thankful

We have had many an enjoyable times watching those late arrivals do the mad sprint for the ship befoer setting sail. We have also had many enjoyable times watching those that have arrived as we have left port. It's real simple. There are a couple of thousand people onboard. WE AIN'T GONNA WAIT FOR YOU!!!

As 'bad' as it would be to be left in a port such as Cozumel or Nassau, can you imagine being left in St. Petersburg? As in Russia?? Happened on a Carnival cruise we were on last July. Picked them up two days later.

BTW, we have not taken a ship tour in the last 15 or so cruises we have been on. Have never missed the ship yet. Really do not believe they are related. Most reputable companies are well aware of how important it is to get you back to the ship on time. In St. Petersburg they went as far as having an additional vehicle with us as needed.

Have personally witnessed this happen twice myself.......it was not a pretty sight!

We have also had many enjoyable times watching those that have arrived as we have left port. It's real simple. There are a couple of thousand people onboard. WE AIN'T GONNA WAIT FOR YOU!!!

You really think people missing a ship is an "enjoyable experience" to watch?

You two are a real class act...

YES! My brother and family have missed a port TWICE! :eek: It wasn't on the same cruise though. :p

Oh yes, years ago while making a port call in Coz' I watched a lady with shopping bags walk down the pier about 10 minutes after the cruise ship left. She stopped, dropped the bags and started to look lost.

"Problem?" I called down from the bridge . . .

"my husband and kids are on that boat ..." as the tears began . . .

Short version of the story I called the cruise ship and asked them to slow so I could load the lady into our fast rescue boat and zipped her out to the ship where she climbed up the pilot ladder.

She was just a little thankful

I hope she tipped you well! :)

You really think people missing a ship is an "enjoyable experience" to watch?

You two are a real class act...

Yes, indeed we are both class acts, thank you........:D

If those who miss the ship can't abide by the departure times why should a couple of thousand people be held up? It's NOT all about you! Get your butt onboard on time, period.

Yes it does happen. Several years ago a young couple in our Meet and Mingle Group got left behind in our last port of call because they lost track of time while shopping for their five children back home.

We were feet from the pier when they showed up and the port master would not stop the ship. We watched as he (port master) handed them items which we found out later was passports, money and credit cards from their safe.

They later mentioned on our Roll Call that because we had another sea day they had to spend the night in Cozumel then fly to Galveston to meet up with the ship.

If people miss their ship, do they have to pay their own airfare back to their city?

Are they fined the $300 since they will consider this as "jumping ship" at their last port of call?

They have to find their own way to the next port of call and it is at their expense. As far as the "jumping ship" fine - not sure on that one, but I suspect not.

I too am one of those "class acts" who likes to watch the running of the drunks - especially in Cozumel - and if they miss the ship, so sad/too bad.

Archived