Best gyms after Royal Caribbean

I need your help! I'm writing a piece for Cruise Critic on best cruise ship fitness options, and Royal Caribbean has won for best onboard gym. But I need an honorable mention. Based on size, variety of equipment and classes, and overall experience, which line would you nominate for second best onboard fitness center? And why?

Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Your question doesn't really make any sense. To be able to answer it with any level of accuracy, one would have to visit every ship at every cruise line and only then it could be possible to make an assessment as to which ship is best suited to one's needs, not which cruise line.

The size of onboard fitness facilities and the quality of equipment will vary greatly based on the size and age of the ship. Even within a fleet, on equal size ships, the differences are noticeable; newer ship will have the latest and best equipment. Bigger ships should have larger facilities and more equipment. If the Crown Princess has 22 treadmills, then the Oasis of the Seas should have at least 38 of them, in relationship to the number of pax. Does that make it better?

Some ships have very nice, new machines but they're not what I'm used to using at home so they're not necessarily the best for me.

Most ships are equipped with Life Fitness or Precor machines. Most have spinning classes, Yoga and the usual selection of instructed activities. Again, how does that make one ship better than the next?

What I'm trying to say is that this is an impossible question to answer in an unbiased, objective way.

Maybe by process of elimination a second place finisher can be found. Just off the Triumph (just off meaning two weeks ago) and while the gym was well equipped, it missed the mark on several points:

1. too many lateral bikes were out of order

2. one day there was no disinfectant to clean the machines after use

3. no cold towels (NCL Pearl has a little fridge with cold hand towels which was a nice touch and came in handy).

On the plus side, plenty of machines, ok assortment of dumbbells (though the bench space is a little cramped).

Pearl was much better (then again it is much newer).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived