Death on the Breeze.

Topo Gigio

The day before yesterday while in route to Aruba a man died on board. Yesterday happened to be his 70th b-day. Someone who works in Aruba at the harbor told me that they will keep the body till Sunday when the ship gets back to Miami. Thought that they had to get the body a.s.a.p. of the ship. What happens if another passenger die?

The day before yesterday while in route to Aruba a man died on board. Yesterday happened to be his 70th b-day. Someone who works in Aruba at the harbor told me that they will keep the body till Sunday when the ship gets back to Miami. Thought that they had to get the body a.s.a.p. of the ship. What happens if another passenger die?

So sorry for this man's family. Happened to a member of our family last year.

Creepy to think about but some ships do have a small morgue area and some have at least three coffins on a ship at all time.The other tough part is the figuring out how to get the deceased back home if your embarkation port is not your home port.

When we took the Behind the Scenes Tour they took us by the morgue - and they can handle more than one body at a time.

So sorry for this man's family. Happened to a member of our family last year.

Creepy to think about but some ships do have a small morgue area and some have at least three coffins on a ship at all time.The other tough part is the figuring out how to get the deceased back home if your embarkation port is not your home port.

That is what the "Repatriation of Remains" part of trip insurance is for.

It usually is easier for the US authorities to deal with the deceased then a foreign country. The US will have access to the person's medical records so that a cause of death can easily be determined.

As someone who has had many untimely deaths to deal with (our daughter 2 wks before we all were going to sail and my dad right before sailing) only to name a couple. I would not consider it intruding on our privacy. I often thought that FT's should post the bad with the good. I know that it's a grim thought to deal with on vacation, but it happens.

To give condolences to a grieving family is better then ignoring what happened.

In 2006 I sailed on the inspiration out of Tampa, and 2 people died on board. The first was a lady who collapsed in the MDR the first sea day, and then on the last sea day a man had a heart attack in the pool and died. It freaked my 12 year old cousin out for years as he was swimming next to the man and was the one who tried to pull him up so he could breath. Its a very scary thing and luckily there's a contingency plan for these situations. My condolences to the family and friends of this man

It usually is easier for the US authorities to deal with the deceased then a foreign country. The US will have access to the person's medical records so that a cause of death can easily be determined.

When your loved one dies in another country, the best thing to do is to call your own local funeral home and they take care of and deal with everything (US Customs, etc.).

The Breeze was in Curacao today and I went to the pier to admire her.

I remember thinking how hard it must be for the family members not to be able to take their deceased member home until the cruise is over. What a terribly sad situation....

My condolences to the family and loved ones.

The Breeze was in Curacao today and I went to the pier to admire her.

I remember thinking how hard it must be for the family members not to be able to take their deceased member home until the cruise is over. What a terribly sad situation....

My condolences to the family and loved ones.

Great ship. If you get the chance to sail on her just do it. You won't regret!

I think (for me) it would be very fitting to die on a cruise. I certainly love them and spend enough time on ships after all...I just hope I can hold off until the last day.

I'm sad for this man's loved ones...but smile knowing he likely died while doing something he loved. :)

My second cruise we had multiple people pass away (there was a retirement community on board) as well as a few incidents that required helicopters to come take people away and we had to turn around (twice I think!) to take people back to our closest ports. We didn't miss out on anything but did get back to FL late an missed out flights home for a few days.

Knocking on wood that I never have to face such a situation. Having said that I wouldn't want to try and have my relative taken off the ship in a foreign country if the option of waiting till the end of the trip is available. In many of the countries the facilities are inferior to that of the ship and the costs / aggrevation of making arrangements to ship the remains home (not to mention those still on the trip) would be staggering. The vacation is undoubtedly ruined, but why make a really bad situation worse?

On the ship you will hear codes announced. Each code has a meaning. For example "Bravo" means a fire, "Sierra" means get a stretcher. When you hear Code "Bright Star" it means someone has died.

Wow, we heard "Brightstar" twice on our just-completed 15-nt cruise to Hawaii, and someone said that meant a fall. I never heard anything about any deaths, glad I didn't know what that meant when I was on board.

My second cruise we had multiple people pass away (there was a retirement community on board) as well as a few incidents that required helicopters to come take people away and we had to turn around (twice I think!) to take people back to our closest ports. We didn't miss out on anything but did get back to FL late an missed out flights home for a few days.

OMG I think we were on the same cruise! We did turn around twice and missed our flights. I remember there being so many wheelchairs and scooters and that they had been borrowed from other ships LOL

OMG I think we were on the same cruise! We did turn around twice and missed our flights. I remember there being so many wheelchairs and scooters and that they had been borrowed from other ships LOL

Didn't we drop somebody off in Cuba?!

Of the 8 Carnival cruises we have sailed so far, there have been 2 people die that I can recall. One of them was the father of a friend I play volleyball with. I happened to be talking to him a couple months after the cruise and we figured out his dad was on that cruise and died. Weird, huh?!

I was on this cruise and heard the bright star code being called. My husband is a paramedic so he knew what it meant :( I know that the wife disembarked in Aruba and was accompanied home by carnivals "people" i don't know about the body?!?

Archived