Duty Free at Southampton Dock

sleeky

The duty free shops on board are quite cheap for alcohol, though some other stuff like Molton Brown was more expensive than at home. There was a good deal on Bombay Sapphire on my cruise. I bought the deal and carried off two unused bottles of wine from my package. Don't even remember seeing the customs guys, but I guess they were there.

The duty free shops on board are quite cheap for alcohol, though some other stuff like Molton Brown was more expensive than at home. There was a good deal on Bombay Sapphire on my cruise. I bought the deal and carried off two unused bottles of wine from my package. Don't even remember seeing the customs guys, but I guess they were there.

WOW , you must have had your eyes shut:D

We have been stopped 3 times now at Southampton, I must have a guilty looking face :D. First time we were slightly over our limit and they took the lot, second time we were within our limit and third time we didn't have anything.

We are convinced they work on a bonus scheme !!

To the OP there are good deals on board but better to be safe and not go over your limit. If you buy anything in port which is duty paid make sure you have your receipts handy when you disembark the ship.

As some else said HM Customs are hot in Southampton especially so if your ship has stopped at Gibraltar.

I think it's quite funny seeing all the people with multiple huge boxes of cigs being stopped at customs. A waste of money, but they should have thought of that before buying well over the limit.

Many thanks for the replies. We would like to bring back some local booze but deff won't be exceeding our limits. Am surprised Southampton doesn't have a duty free shop but I suppose if you can't take it on board it wouldn't get much custom.

Thanks again

Kay

I've never taken much notice of the prices on board as we have always had to fly home before and its too much hassle to pack alcohol in my case to get it home.

I was also wondering if on the short cruises over to France you could use it like the "Booze Cruise" and bring home as much as you want for "personal use":) I haven't checked how much our allowance will be from the Canaries yet but will not be bringing home anything more than allowed.:) It sounds as though Southampton Port is not anything like Cardiff Airport where they have an honesty box to declare any excess or wrongdoing.....

It sounds as though Southampton Port is not anything like Cardiff Airport where they have an honesty box to declare any excess or wrongdoing.....

A cruise port is very different than an airport. The security is less tight on a cruise. You just check in, go through the metal detectors and you're on. They x-ray your carry-on bag too.

However when leaving there are signs just before customs saying if you have anything to declare, do it now. Or you put on your 'nothing to see here' face and walk through. It must be annoying if you do get called over, having to open all your luggage up. I fortunately have never had to do that.

WOW , you must have had your eyes shut:D

We have been stopped 3 times now at Southampton, I must have a guilty looking face :D.

It was flaming early in the morning, I think I was probably sleepwalking LOL :p.

I've never taken much notice of the prices on board as we have always had to fly home before and its too much hassle to pack alcohol in my case to get it home.

I was also wondering if on the short cruises over to France you could use it like the "Booze Cruise" and bring home as much as you want for "personal use":) I haven't checked how much our allowance will be from the Canaries yet but will not be bringing home anything more than allowed.:) It sounds as though Southampton Port is not anything like Cardiff Airport where they have an honesty box to declare any excess or wrongdoing.....

The canaries are duty free so 1x spirit 2xwine 200cigs or 50g tobacco which can not be used with the duty free of the ship. But you can buy duty paid in spain Virgo and portugal lisbon, 800 cigs, check HM Customs for full list. Also in Portugal tobacco can only be bought with cash no credit cards by law

Enjoy

Archived