Birth certificates needed?

desertminky

I have a notarized letter from my kids' Dad saying that it's OK for them to travel internationally with me. They both have passports, and luckily we have the same last name.

My question is, do I need to bring their birth certificates?

Thanks,

I bring them just to prove who the father is in order to match up with the proof that I have the right to take them out of the country. I have the birth certificates anyway, so I figure I may as well bring two more pieces of paper to avoid a possible delay.

Best,

Mia

Thanks everyone for the input.

Mia = great point about the birth certificate identifying who the father is. My notarized letter doesn't hold much weight if they cannot tell he is the father.

CB - We are going to Europe so the kids definitely need passports.

Keith - It's funny I was only asked for the letter from the kids' Dad when I was re-entering the United States! A little too late by that time if I were up to no good! The letter does provide peace of mind and even though it's a hassle to get it notarized I am lucky that their Dad does it for us.

I was told by my travel agent that all we need are passports for the kids. To get a passport, you would have submitted birth certificates anyway.

The Passport proves they are citizens, but it does not show who their parents are. The BC would show that and would verify to authorities that the notarized letter is from a parent. I would bring the BC. While it may not be needed, almost everyone has a certified copy handy (or should) and it doesn't take up much room. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Mia = great point about the birth certificate identifying who the father is. My notarized letter doesn't hold much weight if they cannot tell he is the father.

That's a hole in the process. We have friends where the mom took the kids out of the country. The dad provided permission for both of them to travel, even though the older child is not legally related to him. In this case the older child also had his biological father's last name. This was to a Latin American country, so probably somewhat high risk for abductions, and the mother wasn't even asked for the letter. The State Department clearly says "The U.S. has no exit controls"... and they mean it. :eek:

That said, I'd bring the BC. The reasons mentioned are good, but frankly I always bring ours. I keep them separate from the passports. It's a very inexpensive measure to take "just in case" something happens with the passports.

Archived