Getting married on a cruise with no attendants/family?

tjax

Is there anyone out there who go married on a European cruise - with no family or attendants?

We want to get married on the NCL Star, May 2013, in Copenhagen.

I just can't wrap my head around how it will be with just the two of us at the ceremony.

Please respond if you have any insight or advice for me.

I met the man of my dreams 3 yrs ago and want to make him mine......

Is there anyone out there who go married on a European cruise - with no family or attendants?

I just can't wrap my head around how it will be with just the two of us at the ceremony.

Join your roll call.

I am sure you will have some join the ceremony.

Please do not plan on Captain performing a marriage that will be recognized in U.S.

They do not have the power to legally marry people.

Plenty of folks go to Las Vegas on their own to get married so must be lots that choose to marry 'on their own'. It isn't for everyone but if it suits you and your intended.......

Best Wishes.

If you want to be on your own, why not just get married before you leave...Justice of the peace or magistrate....and then use the cruise as a honeymoon. It will be MUCH cheaper than doing a wedding on the ship. That way, lack of family won't be as noticable to you! Or, you could have folks there with you, if the reason you wouldn't have family is the cost or timing of the trip!

We want to get married on the NCL Star, May 2013, in Copenhagen. I just can't wrap my head around how it will be with just the two of us at the ceremony.

I'm sure you will need a witness for the ceremony; if you are planning on having the Captain marry you, he will probably choose the witness for you, one of his staff members.

Have you contacted NCL about this?

The captain of an NCL ship cannot marry you. If you want your ceremony on the ship, a local civil official would do it. I have no idea if this is offered in Copenhagen; you'd have to contact the wedding department of NCL, as you would go through them for a shipboard ceremony.

I am guessing you are a US citizen. If so, you're going to have to comply with the Danish government requirements:

http://denmark.usembassy.gov/getting--maried.html

Ask on the Wedding and Honeymoon board.

IIRC Princess Captains can officiate.

But OP wants to sail on, and is asking about NCL. OP would be better off discussing this with NCL's wedding department. The majority of posters in the wedding and honeymoon forum here get married in the Caribbean.

We want to get married in St Peterburg. But someone told us we could only get married in Copehagen. We are now working with NCL to get our questions answered.

Thank you so much for the post.

We want to get married in St Peterburg. But someone told us we could only get married in Copehagen. We are now working with NCL to get our questions answered.

Thank you so much for the post.

True, you would not be able to be married in St. Petersburg if you were a US citizen on a cruise. The requirements are very difficult; for example, you must complete an affidavit (marriage letter), which is in Russian, and take it to the embassy in Moscow to be notarized. Then it will take five days to get your marriage letter authenticated at the Minstry of Foreign Affairs. Then you have to get an official translation of the information page of your passport. After all this is completed, you must turn it in and wait 32 days from the date it's all certified to have a civil wedding scheduled.

The requirements in Denmark are much simpler, but I don't know if you'd be able to have enough time if you were just visiting on a cruise. Good luck.

Just having the two of you at the ceremony on a ship will be no different than if you had a civil ceremony at home with a Justice of the Peace or Magistrate. I've performed many such ceremonies, and have either recruited my DH and a neighbour to serve as witnesses, or had them bring their own. If you really want to get married, it doesn't matter who else is there, as long as you and the one you love are. Congratulations to you.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

The captain of an NCL ship cannot marry you. If you want your ceremony on the ship, a local civil official would do it. I have no idea if this is offered in Copenhagen; you'd have to contact the wedding department of NCL, as you would go through them for a shipboard ceremony.

I am guessing you are a US citizen. If so, you're going to have to comply with the Danish government requirements:

http://denmark.usembassy.gov/getting--maried.html

We are US citizen, My sweetie is checking with our State today.

We are US citizen, My sweetie is checking with our State today.

FLorida? Why? Your sweetie needs to read the links I provided in your other thread. You need to consult the embassy of the country in which you want to get married and read their requirements for US citizens to get married in their country.

Archived