How do you like to burn calories onboard?

CCShayne

How do you like to burn calories onboard?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like to burn calories onboard?

• I use the cardio machines and free weights at the gym.
    • I run onboard and in port.
    • I walk around the ship and take the stairs instead of the elevator.
    • Pub crawl! I walk (or stumble) between the bars onboard.
    • You can find me dancing day and night.
    • I sweat when wet -- in the pools or in the ocean.
    • Chasing my family around the ship is enough exercise for me.
    • I try as many onboard activities as I can.
    • I like fitness classes like Pilates and yoga.
    • I prefer to relax on vacation.
    • I don't burn calories -- I gain them on a cruise!

Fitness diehards don't usually forgo their daily exercise just because they're on vacation. While cruises may be known worldwide for the sheer abundance of food available, most mainstream ships feature world-class gyms and a slew of active onboard activities including ice skating, rock climbing, basketball, tennis and more.

We're wondering, what's your go-to activity for burning calories onboard?

I am an avid runner (4 miles daily/ 56 yrs. old), and consider it dumbfounding that Royal Caribbean would promote something like this without contributing a cent to charity! This "shore excursion" reveals RCI's true colors. When the day is done, it's all about the dollar, nothing more!!!

I cast my vote for cardio machines and weights, but I also run onboard, we always take the stairs, do onboard activities when they fit into the schedule and I've taken one class. I think I'd do more classes, but they seem to be later in the morning for the most part. I like to have my workout done early so that it doesn't take away from family and friend time. Most of who think that I'm crazy for working out on vacation!

I voted for 'run on board and in port' although the only port I've felt comfortable running in alone was Bermuda. I wish they would offer a 'class' as a 'fun run' in port...I'd rather pay $10 for that than for yogo or spin class). I also use the cardio machine/weights; swim; walk the decks; and take the stairs. Helps me to justify the long afternoons at the pool bar. LOL.

The poll only allowed me to choose one, so I chose cardio and free weights (which we do every day if possible) - min 60-90 mins. We also have a "rule" that we do NOT use the elevator except on formal night (high heels etc!). We allow ourselves to indulge in all of the wonderful food so keeping up with our fitness routine is the only way to mitigate some of the damage!

I cast my vote for cardio machines and weights, but I also run onboard, we always take the stairs, do onboard activities when they fit into the schedule and I've taken one class. I think I'd do more classes, but they seem to be later in the morning for the most part. I like to have my workout done early so that it doesn't take away from family and friend time. Most of who think that I'm crazy for working out on vacation!

Us as well! When I tell people we set an alarm to workout as early as possible (want to make the most of the day!) people tell us we're crazy too! Even on our most recent cruise in the Med, we only missed maybe 2 or 3 days when we had no choice but to be off the ship by 7 or 8 in order to make the most of the port. The Captain was extremely accomodating on this cruise as he authorized the gym to open at 6 instead of 7 so folks could get in a workout in light of the long port days!

I voted for 'run on board and in port' although the only port I've felt comfortable running in alone was Bermuda. I wish they would offer a 'class' as a 'fun run' in port...I'd rather pay $10 for that than for yogo or spin class). I also use the cardio machine/weights; swim; walk the decks; and take the stairs. Helps me to justify the long afternoons at the pool bar. LOL.

I think that is an awesome idea. I would pay for that as well. That would be fun and you'd also get to see some areas in port that you might not see either wise.

• 2 weeks later...
I love Zumba classes and try to go two or three times a week. Though it doesn't seem to have been introduced by the cruise lines yet:mad:

Local gyms in our area are canceling zumba classes...low attendance, so last year, etc., etc.

It's good to excercise as much as possible and in as many different ways as you can while on ship, but just don't fool yourself into thinking you're burning off all those extra desserts. Never try to count calories eithe routgo or inflow. Most aerobic machines have poorly calibrated calorie counters or the calories burned are based on some average formula. You'll over guesstimate how many you burn off and will always underestimate the amount you eat.

• 1 month later...

My sister and I have taken our fitness hula hoops with us on two cruises and had a great time using them. They're great on the beach and we can usually find a corner of the deck where we don't impede traffic. Sometimes late at night we can take center stage when a deck is empty. You can see a bit of my hooping on board here <click for brief video>

We each take two hoops -- one a standard looking fitness hoop that breaks down into 6 sections, and another battery-operated LED hoop for nighttime which coils down to 1/4 size for travel (these link together for the mamba-jamba hoop shown toward the end of the video). No problems with security on airline or ship with either version.

As you can see from the photo below, I'm no skinny minny and am 56 years old to boot, but really enjoy the dancey-type hooping which helps me keep my...er...hip size in check. Works wonders to keep my blood sugar under control, too (diabetes). Big fun, great exercise, and a great way to meet fellow cruisers.

32192_1407276056471_1069515525_2323567_4961362_n.jpg

Well, both my wife and I do enjoy 'several' courses in the restaurant, so burning off the calories is a must.

Wit the exception of being shown to our cabin upon arrival, we never take the elevator while on board.

Never.

Sound like hard work? Jeeze, why do they put the dining room on the low floors? Climbing up the staircase to our cabin after dinner can be a serious effort!

We both go to fitness classes on board, but have found they can range from great to, well, not so great. My wife invariably walks the jogging track at least once a day and I try (not always successfully) to work out in the gym or (if it's not too small. some laps in the pool (try it when the water has yet to be heated; that'll get you moving!)).

We tend to do our own thing ashore, more than not, which means lots of walking (Madeira is a bitch, it's so steep!).

Cruises are, of course, very romantic, so there's a good few more calories there!

Other than that, well we don't bother with breakfast, other than juise ' 'coffee and, unless there's, say, pialla coo0kepoolside, we don't bother much with a big lunch. The hard part is around 5-6pm, when we are getting hungry and dinner is not until 8pm - or later. And the ship folk no this - notice how there's all kinds of snacky thing available all over the ship around this time?

Getting up early also helps; we're more likely to work out at 7 am than 7 pm! Also getting up early can mean a relatively early turn in at the end of the day, thus eliminating those tempting late-night food extravaganzas.

Everyone has their own way of dealing with this issue. Have we put weight on by the end of the cruise - oh, you bet we have!

But at least we don't feel too guilty about it!

For the calorie counter out there, here's a handy set of guidelines on figuring calories burned.

If you're just sitting still or normal moving about and your heart rate is between resting rate and 45% of max heart rate, you'll be burning 2-3 calories a minute.

If you're exercising around 45-55% of your max heart rate (low level aerobics like brisk but not fast walking, yoga, pilates, or normal stair climbing you'll burn between 4-7 calories per minute(the bigger you are the more you burn).

If you're doing moderate aerobics, jogging, light running, fast walking, stair machine, stadium steps, et.al., with your heart rate around 65% of max, you'll burn 7-10 calories per minute.

You have to get your HR up above 75%-85% max HR and hold it there for a half hour or more to get up above burning 15 calories per minute on a sustained, fat burning basis (anyting less and you're using only glycogen stores).

Most people exercising or just keeping active for long periods of time (over an hour) will burn around 8-12 calories depending upon intensity and how big you are.

To burn off one warm chocolate melting cake dessert on Carnival, you'll need to exercise 45-60 minutes with your heart pounding at 65% of its max HR. Just walking around the ship and using the stairs means you'll have to do that for 2-2 1/2 hours for every dessert you eat.

So go on the cruise, enjoy yourself. Keep as active as you can or normally are. Indulge but don't over indulge or gorge yourself on the food, and don't lay on the self guilt every time you take a bit. You're on vacation, just not a trip to gluteny.

I picked the yoga & pilates classes, but do a variety of things onboard to try to stay in shape & burn off those extra calories. I will have only 1 or 2 bites of a dessert if it isn't great, but if it is fantastic I will finish it.

Only stairs, except for when I'm coming on board or leaving with my carry on. All the fitness classes I can attend - I don't always make the early bird 7AM ones. I will usually hit the exercise machines & free weights on sea days as well.

• 1 month later...

My son did the running activities on the Allure on the Dec 12 Cruise, for $50 he had activities the whole week of the cruise. Money very well spent. He's a Engineering student so doesn't have a lot of time for running now, but won the 'Fastest Male Miler at Sea' The staff , ESPN film crew, and olympians made this a memorial cruise, looking forward to the ESPN special

My sister and I have taken our fitness hula hoops with us on two cruises and had a great time using them. They're great on the beach and we can usually find a corner of the deck where we don't impede traffic. Sometimes late at night we can take center stage when a deck is empty. You can see a bit of my hooping on board here <click for brief video>

32192_1407276056471_1069515525_2323567_4961362_n.jpg

How fun! I love the picture and the video. You are doing great. I remember doing the same stuff but a long time ago as a kid. Picked up a hoola hoop a few years back, could get it to go around my waist but could not manage to get it up over my shoulders like I used to. Used to be up & down from my knees to my neck & then arms, have forgotten how after all this time.

Archived