First time solo cruise. Any tips?

Cruisin Tracy

Hi all,

Am off on my first cruise as a solo traveller on 26/08/2012, off to the Magic of the Fjords onboard Thomson Spirit.

I have cruised before but with a friend.

Any top tips for me would be gratefully received.

Love

Tracy

xxx

I took a quick look and you've already done a clever thing and joined your roll call. I just about always travel solo and have met and been able to arrange shorex with other pax who were friendly and did not mind a solo tagging along.

I enjoy traveling solo - more room in the cabin, my own bedtime and company as I wish.

I always research the port to see how safe I would feel going walkabout on my own too.

Enjoy! Shar

Try things you wouldn't normally. I ate lunch in the dining room alone. Lunch started out awkward as I was seated with a couple on one end of the table and we weren't saying much at first. We eventually had a great conversation and spent the next couple (of rainy day) hours on the same trivia team. My solo table mates were great since we all seemed to end up at the same part of the pool by the afternoon.

Don't forget that you'll never see any of these people again!! So participate in everything you can. I even got up on stage with two other contestants for a game.

Something I've also done is link my reservation with that of some others on the roll call so we can be at the same table at dinner. The invitation went out from one couple to anyone interested, and so far there are five of us total and may be more by November.

There might also be some solo travellers gatherings on the ship, you might want to head to those to meet otrher solos... there were the highlight on my last cruise.

We also made a list of each others email addresses, to choose to keep in touch or not.

Relax, enjoy, and no worries!

Take pleasure when watching a couple argue about where to go/do next :)

Be thankful when your not reprimanding the kids:D

Outwardly giggle and delight when one spouse/travel partner embarrasses the other :eek:

Archived