Near the Pier?

Shaden1982

Since we are not big on snorkeling or doing an arranged tour, can someone please tell me what is around/near the pier in Bonaire?

Are there shops? Restaurants and/or bars for some lunch and drinks for a relaxing day?

Thanks!

CHEERS!

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for your input! I think we may book the Woodwind snorkel tour here...even though we don't snorkel....I like being on a boat! ;)

Go Snorkeling -it is wonderful. I'm a diver -Dived in Bonaire a couple of years ago...I loved it. My favorite saying for Bonaire is "I'd rather be under the water in Bonaire than above the water.

Not much to see in Bonaire. Not the pretty island in the Caribbean I've been to. It is a very flat island. Not much to do or see.

But lots to see under the water. Put a snorkel and mask on and go snorkeling. You will really enjoy yourself.

Stayed at the Divi just down from the town pier. Dove off the pier at the Divi and at the Town Pier one evening. Enjoy....

• 1 month later...

DH and I don't snorkel but when we are in Bonaire, we love walking up from the ship along the sea wall. At high tide, which we have often experienced around 11 'ish, the water comes right to the sea wall and is so clean and clear we can see wildly beautiful fish just by looking down. There are bright yellow or blue or green and I am always mesmerized to be able to enjoy such aquarium worthy fish along the walk.

We then stop at one of the restaurants for cold drinks or lunch.

Very enjoyable time,,,,, for us. :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you are EVER going to have success and fun snorkeling, Bonaire and Woodwind is my vote for your best bet.

Woodwind divides the larger group into three smaller groups: experienced, snorkeled 'once or twice', and total newbies. They have good equipment, patient guides that stay with each group and especially with the beginners, and one of the best snorkel reefs in the world. It is a drift snorkel so you can cover a lot of the reef with little effort.

Their boat is not great for a boat-only tour because it is intended for the very short sail to the reef. There is not lot of scenery involved in the sail and most of the day is spent drifting with the current along Klein Bonaire. You are never out of sight of your cruise ship because the snorkel spot is a very short distance away. The Woodwind boat drifts with and stays near the inexperienced group in case someone changes his/her mind.

Go on the early tour rather than the later one if you are a beginner because the wind is usually stronger (bigger waves) in the afternoon.

We went "Blowcarting" in Bonaire, and had a great time. A blowcart is a go-kart with a sail instead of a motor, and they're used on a specially constructed gypsum track on one end of the island where the winds are consistent. It was a nice alternative to watersports, which we have done many times in Bonaire.

Archived