9+ night cruise to southern caribbean

We are planning on taking our 2 kids ages 11 and 14 on their first cruise next year, and would like to do something longer than 7 days. We would love to go to barbados, and I was told that RC does have a 10 or 12 night cruise that goes down that way...does anyone have insight into this? thanks!

I could only find one and it is on the Jewel of the Seas on October 29.

I did a search over on RCI.com by going to Ports of Call and then ships going to that port, and here is the result. (As you can see, if you do a shorter cruise, or want to go to Europe, there are more choices.) http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/search/linkSearchResult.do;jsessionid=0000Tz7FW2KgryFDsWal14GlbXH:15lbbpnkd?location=BGI

We are planning on taking our 2 kids ages 11 and 14 on their first cruise next year, and would like to do something longer than 7 days. We would love to go to barbados, and I was told that RC does have a 10 or 12 night cruise that goes down that way...does anyone have insight into this? thanks!

Do a search on www.rccl.com and click on where you want to go (instead of lets say specific ship or specific date) Cruises with that destination will come to you! lol

We loved Barbados (x2), but word of advice, pick a private beach, not public (like we did last time- by suggestion and were very disappointed in the public beach- might be dependant on the time of year, I dont know, but was very over corwded with locals and folks on holiday in barbados. being surrounded by coolers- eh!).

We loved Barbados (x2), but word of advice, pick a private beach, not public (like we did last time- by suggestion and were very disappointed in the public beach

Whaaat? Care to elaborate?

I think there are usually a couple in mid-late October out of NJ that go down to the Caribbean. I think they leave on a Friday and return on a Sunday (our kids get Fall Break so that is when we usually cruise and I've looked at that length before). They are just now starting to release the 2012 schedule so you may have to wait a bit to find it.

This is my ultimate plan (while kids are at home), I've always thought a 9 night would be perfect! And then when they go to school and we have more time, I'm doing a back to back!

Good luck

Celebrity has quite a few Southern Caribbean itineries if you don't mind leaving from San Juan. As you probably know, Celebrity is RCCL's 'up-scale' brand and is my favorite. Took the S. Caribbean route on the Millenium in December. Weather was good, ports were fine and it was 11 days -- 12 is also available.

We have done 2 -12nite cruises out of Bayonne, N.J. They both had stops in Barbados. I think you will have to wait till the new Itins. come out for next fall and see what ship will be sailing from there. I find it is so much nicer sailing out on N.J. The air fares are really getting out of hand. Hope you find something you like.

Judi :)

Whaaat? Care to elaborate?

Sure.

We went to Rockley/Accra and didnt like it at all. It wasnt rocky or shell ridden getting intothe water, but once in, just a few feet (or less :eek:) there was a huge solid rock formation you had to navigate over making it unpleasant. Another negative, to us was the fact that it is a public beach and many folks staying in the area come with their coolers and very large families and take up residence on top of others- no space. It just wasnt our thing. I rather pay to get on a beach and have it include your lounge chairs and umbrella then pay [the same] for very, very worn out chairs/unbrellas. On the otherhand, this was our experience and opinion. We got there around 10:30 am, and dont consider that to be late, but again, the beach was already crowded (its free to get on and we surmised that is why so many locals hang out there and bring their own chairs etc). Havng said that, if you entr the beach and go all the way down to your right (looking at the ocean), the rock formation is gone and I am sure this would have made for a better experience, albeit all the locals and vacationing folk. Also, unless you're into walking off the beach and across the street, the only access to food is the opposite end of the beach at Bar K'nai where we thought the food was average to eh (it actually was not good but im trying to be nice as food is so subjective)- and the drinks there were not good at all, you pay for rum punch and thats what I would like to drink, rum. Off season it might be mch different. Also, at the far right entrance there is a food hut/stand/vendor, but every time we walked over to get food, lmao, no one was there and we were told they guy isnt there right now he took a break.

Plus, at Carlisle bay the scenery is absoluty beautiful and breathtaking if you like to gaze out at the ocean and look at the sail boats. This was not the case at Rockely... :(

I would recommend the 12 night sailings on the Explorer from Bayonne. They stop at Barbados.

Where did you find this at? What time of year do they have these, as we are looking to go next year sometime.

here are just a few going to barbados in 2012 - Really, you need to do a search on their web site, under caribbean and then just look for cruises going to barbados. it doesnt look like Explorer is doing the route they did last year. But, use the web site, as the itineraries do change from year to year. We took 2 cruises on Explorer that went to Barbados, but I dont think that is the case anymore.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itinerary.do;jsessionid=0000zUQV0jjcJpDdJckRx4xZE7w:12hdhu93n?hasSenior=&hasMilitary=&hasFireandPolice=&cruiseType=CO&state=&packageCode=AD07D058&date=201109_201110_201111_201200_201201_201202_201203_201204_201205_201206

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itinerary.do;jsessionid=0000zUQV0jjcJpDdJckRx4xZE7w:12hdhu93n?hasSenior=&hasMilitary=&hasFireandPolice=&cruiseType=CO&state=&packageCode=SR07D066&date=201109_201110_201111_201200_201201_201202_201203_201204_201205_201206

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itinerary.do;jsessionid=0000zUQV0jjcJpDdJckRx4xZE7w:12hdhu93n?hasSenior=&hasMilitary=&hasFireandPolice=&cruiseType=CO&state=&packageCode=AD07D059&date=201109_201110_201111_201200_201201_201202_201203_201204_201205_201206

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itinerary.do;jsessionid=0000zUQV0jjcJpDdJckRx4xZE7w:12hdhu93n?hasSenior=&hasMilitary=&hasFireandPolice=&cruiseType=CO&state=&packageCode=SR07D063&date=201109_201110_201111_201200_201201_201202_201203_201204_201205_201206

Ok so from what I have found is if I want a longer than 7 day cruise my options are Celebrity Equinox, Norwegian Dawn, or Princess. Out of these different cruise lines which would you recommend for an 11 and 14 yr old, and enough activities and shows to occupy everyone...

We did the Celebrity Equinox 10 day Ultimate Cruise in 2010.

It was wonderful and TONS on there for kids that age to do .

I enjoy a newer ship, so that would be my suggestion.

Safe Travels.

Chass

There is one on the serenade of the seas sailing from San Jaun. I looked at sailing the ones from southern Florida vs these ones and the availablity and price is much better to fly to San Jaun.

Archived