Nice beach close to port?

Sailor Gal

We've been to Aruba once and took an extensive jeep tour and saw the high points of the island. This time we'd like to visit a nice beach for swimming. Can anyone recommend one that is realatively easy to get to and/or particularly nice for swimming and relaxing? Do the hotels let you come to their beach or are there better ones? Would love some recommendations. Thanks

We've been to Aruba once and took an extensive jeep tour and saw the high points of the island. This time we'd like to visit a nice beach for swimming. Can anyone recommend one that is realatively easy to get to and/or particularly nice for swimming and relaxing? Do the hotels let you come to their beach or are there better ones? Would love some recommendations. Thanks

For $2.30 American you can take the bus to either Eagle or Palm beach ROUND TRIP. Buses run every 10-15 minutes and are REAL busses not vans. We went to the Holiday Inn and then rented 2 chairs with a grass umbrella and table right by the bar for $15 for the day. Just ask people where the bus depot is (2 minute walk or 1 block once you get out of the terminal. Once at the depot ask which bus goes to the Hotel area. Same bus goes to Eagle and Palm beach.

ENJOY!!!

I can't recommend, but I have read that Havana Beach Club is about half a mile south from the port, within walking distance. I have posted a question on it just below yours, but there has been no replies. So, if anyone knows of this beach and club; please give us some info on it. Chair rentals, tables, shade, food prices, nice beach?

Thanks!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with Beckaroous. Consider Eagle Beach which is on the way to Palm Beach. There is a free shuttle from the ship to the cruise ship terminal. To catch a bus, simply exit the terminal, turn right, and cross the street to the Bus Terminal --- an orange building with white columns and benches. Take the #10 "Hotels" bus.

Here are more of our Secrets of the Caribbean!

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

These are our very detailed personal reviews, hints, and tips for ports of call that you will be visiting.

Eagle Beach is a beautiful beach, but the lack of public facilities such as chair/umbrella rentals and rest rooms make Palm Beach a much better choice for a tourist off of a cruise ship.

Palm Beach has a boardwalk (really a stone pathway) with a bunch of beach-side bars and restaurants. Eagle beach has none of that.

There is also an open air flea market type shopping area in the Palm Beach area every evening opposite the Playa Linda Resort.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I can't recommend, but I have read that Havana Beach Club is about half a mile south from the port, within walking distance. I have posted a question on it just below yours, but there has been no replies. So, if anyone knows of this beach and club; please give us some info on it. Chair rentals, tables, shade, food prices, nice beach?

Thanks!:D

We too had read about Havana Beach Club being a short walk from port. NOT! It's not really far but I certainly would not call it short, nor is it 1/2 mile. Probably took us at least half hour to get there so must be about 1 mile. Not easy to spot but it was a nice little beach. Mostly just a few Europeans on the day we were there. Very few people (which is good because it is not a very large area.) Certainly no one else from our ship except one of the entertainers. There was a small restaurant where we had beer and a snack.

Although it was nice I'd probably recommend going somewhere else. Next time we are in Aruba we plan to take the Bus to Palm Beach.

Hope this helps. Molly

We too had read about Havana Beach Club being a short walk from port. NOT! It's not really far but I certainly would not call it short, nor is it 1/2 mile. Probably took us at least half hour to get there so must be about 1 mile. Not easy to spot but it was a nice little beach. Mostly just a few Europeans on the day we were there. Very few people (which is good because it is not a very large area.) Certainly no one else from our ship except one of the entertainers. There was a small restaurant where we had beer and a snack.

Although it was nice I'd probably recommend going somewhere else. Next time we are in Aruba we plan to take the Bus to Palm Beach.

Hope this helps. Molly

I just measured it out on wikimapia and it is more like 1.3 miles. In the heat and hot sun, not my idea of a leisurely stroll. :o :(

Thanks for all the information. I think I have decided to go to Druif or Eagle. Just in case anyone else wants it, here's the website. The pictures look good.

ttp://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/outoftown/aruba/oranjestad/havanabeachbar/index.htm

If you are into big hotels and enjoy sitting on the beach with all the other tourists then go to Palm Beach and rent some chairs. If you want to see the real Aruba and swim at the most gorgeous beach then go to the California Lighthouse all the way at the end of the island. Follow the road past all the hotels and keep going til you come to the lighthouse. The beach lies at the base of the lighthouse, has grass huts for the sun and is totally natural. When the tide is out you can walk 1/2 mile out into the ocean. Great snorkeling and swimming. Bring sunscreen it's HOT.you can take the bus for $!

• 1 month later...
If you are into big hotels and enjoy sitting on the beach with all the other tourists then go to Palm Beach and rent some chairs. If you want to see the real Aruba and swim at the most gorgeous beach then go to the California Lighthouse all the way at the end of the island. Follow the road past all the hotels and keep going til you come to the lighthouse. The beach lies at the base of the lighthouse, has grass huts for the sun and is totally natural. When the tide is out you can walk 1/2 mile out into the ocean. Great snorkeling and swimming. Bring sunscreen it's HOT.you can take the bus for $!

This sounds like my kind of beach. Do you take the #10 bus or is it a different bus?

I forgot to ask how long it takes to get there by bus?

#10 bus to Arashi beach at the end of the route. FWIW, there are no bathrooms or any other facilities, and in case there are no shade palapas available, bring LOTS of sunscreen.

Figure about 30 minutes or slightly more to Arashi, depending on the number of stops (people on the bus).

http://www.arubus.com/

• 2 weeks later...

We walked from the ship to a small beach - there was a long pier with a rope swing that was very popular! There was a restaurant/bar that we had to walk through from the street to the beach... does this ring a bell with anyone? I also remember walking from the main shopping area across a very busy road and a bridge with several boats/yachts docked a few blocks from this beach.

• 3 weeks later...

We usually hop a cab and go to Palm Beach, right across from La Cabana. Chairs and umbrellas are available for rental. Public buses will also take you there and back to the downtown area and the cruise terminal.:)

#10 bus to Arashi beach at the end of the route. FWIW, there are no bathrooms or any other facilities, and in case there are no shade palapas available, bring LOTS of sunscreen.

Figure about 30 minutes or slightly more to Arashi, depending on the number of stops (people on the bus).

http://www.arubus.com/

The end of the line for Bus 10 is the California Light House. The beach there is natural and peaceful....good snorkeling and swimming. It all depends on what you want, but I really like this beach area. There are a few small trees, but I wouldn't count on much shade. There are no facilities as Arubalisa stated. We were there 10 days ago and had the use of a few lounges and chairs that locals leave there under a tree. For the return to town (cruise ship pier), there is a bus 5 min. before every hour at the same spot the bus drops you off. The bus fare was $2.20 r/t purchased on the bus. They accept US dollars on the bus and gave change in US coins and bills.

Palm Beach is like "beach anywhere" -- no real local flavor. I don't go away to basically have what surrounds me at home. Eagles Beach is a better choice if you need facilities.

Something still isn't clear to me about Palm beach...

I understand that Aruba beaches are "free". Does this mean we can take the bus to say, the Raddison and walk onto the beach? Can we then walk up or down the beach until we find a vendor to rent a chair/umbrella from? Is there a better hotel to use as a drop-off/pick-up spot with easy beach access?

I'm thinking we might take the bus to the beach for a couple hours after a morning excursion and don't want to pay for a day pass. We might just walk the beach and sit in the sand.

Something still isn't clear to me about Palm beach...

I understand that Aruba beaches are "free". Does this mean we can take the bus to say, the Raddison and walk onto the beach?

Yes, all beaches in Aruba are free and public. The only resort I am aware of which "discourages" non-guests from walking through their lobby is the Riu (All Inclusive).

Can we then walk up or down the beach until we find a vendor to rent a chair/umbrella from?

Palm Beach is one long continuous stretch of white sand beach.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.5731198&lon=-70.0453949&z=15&l=0&m=a&v=2

You can get to the Radisson and Palm Beach by taxi or bus. Bus is much cheaper, taxi is more convenient.

Is there a better hotel to use as a drop-off/pick-up spot with easy beach access?

At the very southern end of the Radisson's Beach just before the De Palm Pier there are vendor's tents http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.56824&lon=-70.04812&z=18&l=0&m=a&v=2 which rent all the "goodies". You can take the taxi or bus to the pathway to De Palm's Pier. The pathway runs between the Radisson and Riu properties.

• 1 month later...

Trip report May 19th

We took the bus to Palm beach after a morning horseback ride at La Ponderosa. The bus was a piece of cake, no more that 10 or 15 min wait, and less than $2 each way. This was the cheapest beach of our entire cruise.

Archived