Is the paint spray still an issue in Bayonne?

jerseygirl79

• 6 months later...

hi,

Just back from a 9 day Canada trip on Explorer, 9/2/10 thru 9/11/10.

Paid $171.00 to park which gave me the parking and and an additional bonus of a free overspray PAINT JOB. Hood of my Honda Pilot and the front window was covered with a heavy coating of paint dust. Using the windshield washer was a disaster, it streaked something awful, little pits all over window. The paint surface is now like sandpaper.

The same thing happened to me about 3-4 years ago with my civic.

Both times there were ships being worked on in the adjacent drydock area.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has or had same paint overspray problem.

Who do you go after to pick up the tab for detailing the car.

Guest maddycat
hi,

Paid $171.00 to park which gave me the parking and and an additional bonus of a free overspray PAINT JOB. Hood of my Honda Pilot and the front window was covered with a heavy coating of paint dust. Using the windshield washer was a disaster, it streaked something awful, little pits all over window. The paint surface is now like sandpaper.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has or had same paint overspray problem.

I just posted the following on the RCI board in answer to your post there:

I'm so sorry that your car was damaged by the overspray from Bayonne Drydock. The same thing happened to my car in 2006 or 2007. I had quite a time finding someone locally who could clean the overspray off of my car without damaging the car's finish. It was aggravating. Bayonne Drydock paid for having my car detailed.

Since then, we have sailed out of Cape Liberty several times without a problem. We have been lucky.

I believe that RCCL should do something about providing safe parking at Cape Liberty. They should advocate for their passengers. After all, only Celebrity and Royal Caribbean cruise ships sail out of Cape Liberty, All they would have to do is insist that the parking area be moved away from the drydock area.

I actually keep a post-it in my file cabinet with Bayonne Drydock contact information since we sail out of Cape Liberty twice a year.

Bayonne Dry Dock

Military Ocean Terminal Dock Yard

PO Box 240

Bayonne, NJ 07002-0240

201-823-9295 or 9296

Fax: 201-823-9298

Email: info@bayonnedrydock.com

This is so rediculous that this is still going on....I have to get a cover on top of paying big money for parking there???.....where in the lot is this occuring...anyone have a map of the lot?

I was parked in the lot closest to the ship, in an area near the handicapped section. The cars around me also had the paint overspray.

This is so rediculous that this is still going on....I have to get a cover on top of paying big money for parking there???.....where in the lot is this occuring...anyone have a map of the lot?

It is not as small a problem as the parking lot. It is the entire area. The RCL berth is in the middle of a huge heavy industrial shipyard area.

I think the closest "Drydock" is about 1/2 mile away, south, and there are at least 3 that I know about, and many other smaller ones.

This problem can't be fixed. Either the shipyard industry will have to move or shutdown, or RCL will have to move.

This section of the NY Harbor has always been a shipping/shipyard center. The RCL Terminal is a converted shipping warehouse from WW2.

Blame RCL for putting themselves there in the middle of it.

Guest maddycat
I think the closest "Drydock" is about 1/2 mile away, south, and there are at least 3 that I know about, and many other smaller ones.

This problem can't be fixed. Either the shipyard industry will have to move or shutdown, or RCL will have to move.

Wrong on both counts. Bayonne Drydock is on the other side of the 9/11 memorial. It is very close to the cruise ship dock. The parking lots are right in front of Bayonne Drydock.

The problem can be fixed by moving to parking further away from the drydock. At one time the parking was on the opposite side of the cruise terminal and there wasn't any problem with cars being damaged.

Wrong on both counts. Bayonne Drydock is on the other side of the 9/11 memorial. It is very close to the cruise ship dock. The parking lots are right in front of Bayonne Drydock.

The problem can be fixed by moving to parking further away from the drydock. At one time the parking was on the opposite side of the cruise terminal and there wasn't any problem with cars being damaged.

Agree with you 100%. I have sailed on Explorer at least 12 times from Bayonne starting in 2006. When parking was on opposite side of building, well past the luggage drop off area, there wasn't an issue with overspray.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest maddycat
I'm disappointed to hear this is still going on. Does the cruise line at least warn people about the risk of paint damage to cars?

No they don't.

It doesn't really matter how far away the drydock facility is

from the parking, does it? if it's causing damage it's too close. Posting

back and forth about how far away it is, is simply a waste of time.

I am new to this website, although not new to cruising.

Does this website ever run a petition to RCL/Celebrity concerning

issues which many cruise passengers have in common IE. complile a grievance letter, ask for signatures, and then forward it to RCL.

Just curious

On the Explore of the Seas last week the captain made an announcement part way through the cruise and said he was happy to report that there has been no damage to any cars in the Cape Liberty lot. I thought that was an odd announcment at the time, but now I see why.

Anyway we didn't have any issues during Sept 16-25, 2010.

Guest maddycat
Does this website ever run a petition to RCL/Celebrity concerning issues which many cruise passengers have in common IE. complile a grievance letter, ask for signatures, and then forward it to RCL.

I've never seen anything like that and I've been on CC for a couple of years.

hi,

We were parked there from 9/5/10 to 9/12 while on the Summit 7 night to Bermuda and we had absolutely no issues at all...no overspray at all...we were parked up near the port in handicapped spaces...

It doesn't really matter how far away the drydock facility is

from the parking, does it? if it's causing damage it's too close. Posting

back and forth about how far away it is, is simply a waste of time.

I am new to this website, although not new to cruising.

Does this website ever run a petition to RCL/Celebrity concerning

issues which many cruise passengers have in common IE. complile a grievance letter, ask for signatures, and then forward it to RCL.

Just curious

It must matter where you are parked...we were there the same time as the OP was and we did not get sprayed at all...we were in handicap parking...up near the bldg...

Just another reason to hate Bayonne-- an awful port in every way!!

when we were there on 9/5 we had little choice in where to park so we were near the ship area too-- luckily no overspray but everything else about the port was crummy!

does anyone know if the spray painting goes in the winter months??? a very expensive booking hinges on this!!

• 3 weeks later...

We're sailing Celebrity Summit on May15, 2011 and are weighing the various options we have. A friend is likely flying in from the U.K on the day prior and staying at an EWR hotel. We're coming down fro Connecticut so we may:

Take Amtrak to Liberty airport station and use public modes to get to hotel/pier and return.

Drive to EWR and leave car at the pier for the week. I'd be willing to drive to the pier but am still not sure about the paint spray issue. So question is, has anyone seen any car owners using car covers in the pier parking lots? I'd be willing to go that route since I have one.

Or maybe leave the car at an EWR hotel and cab it to the pier and return to the hotel...

If our friend doesn't join us then I'll go with X's bus service to the pier from Hartford.

Thanks

Paul

• 10 months later...

Archived