BEST WESTERN PLUS Oakland Park Inn

mid20scruiser

Yes, we stayed here a few years ago. Well, it was in a good lcation with a Publix and a few stores and restaurants close by (walking distance for sure), BUT.... and I've mentioned this before.... the room smelled terrible, very musty and moldy. I absolutely understand that Fort Luaderdale is a beach community and this can be a problem in many, if not most hotels. However, this was really awful. The smell seeped into our clean clothes in the suitcases... NOT what you want prior to leaving on a 10 night cruise!

The grounds are nice, the staff was great, and the continental breakfast was just fine... if you don't mind the moldy smell, then go for it. Obviously, just a heads up.

We stayed here this past January and really liked it. We did not have any issues with musty odors, might be room specific? Great location, nice grounds, pool and tiki bar area had lots of room for our group. Breakfast was OK, just basic.

Our only complaint was an apparent "lack of communication" with management regarding shuttles. Our group wanted to take a shuttle to the beach early in the morning as well as take shuttles to the port. The beach shuttle completely fell through at the last minute and management denied telling us that it would be available in the first place...not true. There was also a problem with the shuttles to the port. We had a very large group (about 50 people) and we informed the hotel management that we would all want to leave for the port at the same time (10:30 AM). We were assured that we would have 2 full size buses to take us. In the end we wound up with 2 smaller buses and barely enough room for everyone to fit with all of our luggage. Luggage in one bus was piled onto the seats to the ceiling...it was a little dangerous, actually. On one turn luggage spilled over into the aisle and we had to load it back up on the seats.

So I would recommend this hotel I would just be sure to get everything in writing and verify any special requests.

Archived