Innoculations for India and Africa

ggglo

Going on cruise including India and Africa (east coast and South Africa). What innoculations, if any, are mandatory for these areas? Haven't heard anything from cruise company. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who had been to these areas.

Going on cruise including India and Africa (east coast and South Africa). What innoculations, if any, are mandatory for these areas? Haven't heard anything from cruise company. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who had been to these areas.

Check out your destinations on this CDC link.....as well as your doctor or local travel clinic

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel

SA requires a yellow fever vaccination if you have recently been to some other neighboring countries. Malaria pills for India are also recommended. Of course, Hep A&B and tetanus are good for everyone when traveling.

SA requires a yellow fever vaccination if you have recently been to some other neighboring countries. Malaria pills for India are also recommended. Of course, Hep A&B and tetanus are good for everyone when traveling.

really? I have been to every country that borders South Africa and have never been required to get a yellow fever shot.

Malaria pills are also a proper prevention regime for most of Africa.

look at the cdc website and talk to your own physician. Some of the CDC recommendations are over kill in my opinion..and some shots are difficult to get(polio for one). But update your tetanus shot no matter where you are traveling.

really? I have been to every country that borders South Africa and have never been required to get a yellow fever shot.

Malaria pills are also a proper prevention regime for most of Africa.

look at the cdc website and talk to your own physician. Some of the CDC recommendations are over kill in my opinion..and some shots are difficult to get(polio for one). But update your tetanus shot no matter where you are traveling.

From embassy of South Africa in DC:

Yellow fever certificate is required only if applicant passing through yellow fever belt area before entering South Africa.

http://www.southafrica-newyork.net/homeaffairs/yellowfever.htm

I was coming from Victoria Falls in Zambia which has low incidence but still on the list......though when I presented documentation with my passport they never looked at it:confused: Just didn't want to take the chance of being denied entry, just an individual choice.

From embassy of South Africa in DC:

Yellow fever certificate is required only if applicant passing through yellow fever belt area before entering South Africa.

http://www.southafrica-newyork.net/homeaffairs/yellowfever.htm

I was coming from Victoria Falls in Zambia which has low incidence but still on the list......though when I presented documentation with my passport they never looked at it:confused: Just didn't want to take the chance of being denied entry, just an individual choice.

I have been to Victoria Falls in Zambia as well as in Zimbabwe and in both cases enter South Africa after that. Its not required.

Definitely check with your physician and www.cdc.gov

Just visited India this past May and my internist insisted on giving me a polio booster and MMR which is no big big deal as polio and measles are previlant there. Malaria meds were also needed in SW India. Of course keep your tetanus immunization up to date. Typhoid, Hep A & B are good to keep up current for traveling overseas.

Again, feel comfortable and get the advise from your physician.

There is a world wide resurgence of whooping cough..my doc has suggested that in addition to the others we get a shot which also includes tetanus booster. I am more concerned about becoming ill from the plane travel so will be getting flue and pneumonia as well.

Sue

In terms of Yellow Fever you need to look at the entire itinerary and go country by country on the CDC web site. For example, and I know this is not applicable to your cruise but if you visit Brazil it's not that you need a yellow fever because of Brazil but a country like Barbados requires it if you visited a place such as Brazil. Your cruise line should really be able to tell you if this one is required.

As to the other countries I would visit the CDC web site for the recommendations and for some items such as Malaria that is dependent where in the country you are visiting and that is clearly shown on the CDC web site.

Now for South Africa I can tell you that if you are not doing something like a safari and are just visiting places such as Port Elizabeth, Durban and Cape Town and not going inland you do not need malaria medication.

Keith

Just wanted to pass on some information. We had friends who went on a Safari trip in Africa, they got their Malaria shots but after they were home for a month or so the husband got very sick. They did a bunch of tests and ended up he had Malaria. I am sure this does not happen often but it good to be aware. I wouldn`t have guessed it to be Malaria having the vaccine and it happening that long after being home from their trip.

I've never heard of a Malaria Shot. We were given the choice of two types of pills and went with the one that you take a few days before arriving to the infested area, you take it while you are there and then for a few days after you leave.

Keith

malaria shots are relatively new...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/08/08/210237243/experimental-malaria-vaccine-shows-promise-in-early-trial

its also possible the poster misunderstood.

Just wanted to pass on some information. We had friends who went on a Safari trip in Africa, they got their Malaria shots but after they were home for a month or so the husband got very sick. They did a bunch of tests and ended up he had Malaria. I am sure this does not happen often but it good to be aware. I wouldn`t have guessed it to be Malaria having the vaccine and it happening that long after being home from their trip.

There is no currently available licensed malaria vaccine, no malaria shots yet. However, clinical trials of several malaria vaccines are going on in various places, so there may be something available in a few years: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=206115352955034196755.0004c1f67bf97d6bb41e7

To prevent malaria, you take prescription medicine during your time in the affected countries, and for a time before and after, depending on the particular drug. Malaria preventatives include chloroquine, mefloquine, doxycycline, azithromycin, primaquine and atovaquone/proguanil. You also use mosquito netting and insect repellant.

Just talked to my friend and I stand corrected :o...it was pills that they took (Malarone)

That is what I thought. There are two choices. This is in my humble opinion the best of the two and you pay more for these.

Could have been one of two things. Either they just didn't work (it can happen) or they didn't take it correctly.

Either way sorry they got ill and this is just a reminder that sometimes even with the best of protection something can go wrong.

Keith

We recently returned from India. Your best bet is to call your nearest United States Health Department Office and ask if they have a Travel Department. You can make an appointment with the Travel Department and the have your shot history reviewed and get their recommendations for your areas of travel. They can give you the required shots and prescriptions for any needed medications. We were extremely happy with the service received and the informaiton provided.

Archived