Best ship for a Inside Solo in Carribean

sjn911

I am wondering about the opinions on favorite ship for solos...not singles hunting or on the prowl..LOL..on an inside Cabin in Caribbean...I plan on 1300 as budget for cabin at 200 percent so I do not exclude myself to absolute cheapest deals..I figure a lot on Carnival I can go for around a 1000 for inside or porthole cabins and special planning...700 for a massage spa pamper or two, an activity or two and drinks etc. , 250 budgeted for pre and post hotel..air extra...and emergency cash and insurance extra...

So what ships have you solos loved, have nicest inside cabins, decent food and ambiance for service and relaxation anywhere there for 7 days..and if you have done an outside for that price in winter no school months..Jan-Feb..Please let me know...thank you...Sarah

hello all...

I did just find this in answer to my own question...but as there have already been 9 looks..ans I just posted...maybe others too would be interested in this budget and philosophy in narrowing down choices..fun to plan...and think ans know of others' up to date experiences...Sarah

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=419

I've found more difference between individual cruises than between cruise lines. If all you want is relaxation, Carnival, Royal Caribbean or NCL would all be good choices for your budget- but definitely do not travel during school holidays. Food is at best highly subjective, and can change almost overnight with a new executive chef.

That CC article reads like re-cycled cruise line hype. There are vast differences between the ones mentioned, especially in price and but also ambiance.

I've found more difference between individual cruises than between cruise lines. If all you want is relaxation, Carnival, Royal Caribbean or NCL would all be good choices for your budget- but definitely do not travel during school holidays. Food is at best highly subjective, and can change almost overnight with a new executive chef.

That CC article reads like re-cycled cruise line hype. There are vast differences between the ones mentioned, especially in price and but also ambiance.

Thanks,,,I need to read in this section more,,,Sarah

. . . So what ships have you solos loved, have nicest inside cabins, decent food and ambiance for service and relaxation anywhere there for 7 days...Please let me know...thank you...Sarah

I went solo this past Spring on the Carnival Glory (inside) during a non school vacation week (though it seems one can never totally avoid kids). Carnival really is a fun ship line and I don't mind an inside cabin. I chose a fixed dining time and they sat me with another solo. Food was great and there are lots of bars and other places to hang out. There's a Serenity area for adults only - lots of cushioned chaises, hammocks and a couple of hot tubs. And the outdoor theatre was fun, too. I'm going April 2013 on the Breeze (their newest).

Hi,

I went on my first solo cruise on November 2nd on the Brilliance of the seas. I had booked in May for $699 for an inside cabin. 2.5 weeks before the cruise, I was able to upgrade to an oceanview for $ 105. A great deal for 8 nights.

The smaller ship worked well as you would run into other passengers several times.

I have seen some great solo deals for the Freedom of the Seas and Adventurer of the Seas for January and February.

Will be on the NCL Star in less than two weeks. Got a great last minute rate of $666 including tax with Costco also giving me OBC and paying the $84 tips.

I prefer ships that have about 2,000 to 2,400 passengers as being a solo you don't get lost within the masses of those mega ships. I sign up for the CC meet and greet and usually meet some excellent people to share taxis, ideas with.

Thanks for all your comments...this time i have a budget and am not doing the absolute cheapest in next 30 to 90 days...which is almost what I have done and last 2 cruises which have been 4 and 5 day...you all have really helped and it is exactly what i was looking for..thanks for your opinions, experience and sharing your details!!

Sarah

Thanks for all your comments...this time i have a budget and am not doing the absolute cheapest in next 30 to 90 days...which is almost what I have done and last 2 cruises which have been 4 and 5 day...you all have really helped and it is exactly what i was looking for..thanks for your opinions, experience and sharing your details!!

Sarah

Sarah - if you want inexpensive (but not necessarily the absolute cheapest) take a look at Royal Caribbean. They have inside "Promenade Cabins." They are priced lower and they are inside cabins - but, they have a beautiful bay window that overlooks the promenade. I've only taken RCL once and it was a 5 day roundtrip from Barcelona. The promenade cabin was perfect for me. There was no noise problem at all but it didn't feel as closed-in as some other cabins do. I had a cabin on the 8th floor so if I wanted to see the parades and check out the crowds, I had to go over the window and look down. It kind of had an apartment feel to it. ---Yes, you can see your neighbors across the way, so make sure you close your drapes if you want privacy. :p

Sarah - if you want inexpensive (but not necessarily the absolute cheapest) take a look at Royal Caribbean. They have inside "Promenade Cabins." They are priced lower and they are inside cabins - but, they have a beautiful bay window that overlooks the promenade. I've only taken RCL once and it was a 5 day roundtrip from Barcelona. The promenade cabin was perfect for me. There was no noise problem at all but it didn't feel as closed-in as some other cabins do. I had a cabin on the 8th floor so if I wanted to see the parades and check out the crowds, I had to go over the window and look down. It kind of had an apartment feel to it. ---Yes, you can see your neighbors across the way, so make sure you close your drapes if you want privacy. :p

Thanks so much, I really need this to think going up a little bit form the "most lean"; and have a next step in nice and all this is a great idea..thanks so much for helping me do some dreaming which I really need to do. I think these larger ships I would enjoy..and may be way more avbx now than the super largest..fun and new to me with enjoyable entertainment options and fun on the ship as much as ports..I want relaxation and ease...thanks an apartment feel sounds wonderful...Sarah

Will be on the NCL Star in less than two weeks. Got a great last minute rate of $666 including tax with Costco also giving me OBC and paying the $84 tips.

I prefer ships that have about 2,000 to 2,400 passengers as being a solo you don't get lost within the masses of those mega ships. I sign up for the CC meet and greet and usually meet some excellent people to share taxis, ideas with.

Thank you..were you inside cabin paying 666 times 2 or was it the whole fee??

How did you enjoy the Star??..thanks..Sarah

Love the several restaurant idea...sometimes I love a group table..sometimes I really enjoy my own thinking and pondering..I think they have teakettles in their cabins..that sounds nice,,,,Sarah

I've travelled solo on NCL epic twice and once (soon to be twice) on RCCL when they've lowered the single supplement.....hands down, most solo friendly is the Epic. The studios and lounge are geared for solos to meet and mingle. Plus, solos get their own cruise director. I lucked out with my RCCL med cruise this past summer, but only because of the fiends I met on cruise critic.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for continued info and brainstorming,,really am looking forward to doing more soon and the portholes on Carnival I will try one day..trying a Rccl Freedom or Oasis class and NCL Epic sound great too..and prices I am watching..thanks..just really look forward to a week or more and not against Carnival at all..(and need to give them a full week chance and never go on a Holiday again, I did a 5 day last Easter)..but looking forward to other lines too...Sarah

Thank you..were you inside cabin paying 666 times 2 or was it the whole fee??

How did you enjoy the Star??..thanks..Sarah

Love the several restaurant idea...sometimes I love a group table..sometimes I really enjoy my own thinking and pondering..I think they have teakettles in their cabins..that sounds nice,,,,Sarah

Sarah,

That was the total fee including the 200% solo rate. The price dropped $299 pp a few weeks before the cruise making paying the solo rate affordable.

Just got off this cruise last week and had a blast. Every solo cruise that I take seems to surpass the previous one. This was the first time on the NCL Star and she is beautiful and has a very happy crew.

I went to the Meet and Greet and met some wonderful people. I hooked up with a couple that I had met on my last years cruise. This allowed me to share a couple of excursions in Costa Maya and Cozumel with them.

I can be a shy person in certain environments but go out of my way to talk to the crew and start up conversations with people on the upper decks and in the restaurants. For me, I really enjoy talking to the crew and finding out a little about their lives.

Also, our ship had over 80 British people who got on the ship in Cozumel and then returned back there a week later. They were doing a combined land/cruise tour. It was kinda of fun hearing the British accents again since I have been in the USA over 25 years so don't meet many fellow Brits.

Below are some of the videos I took with my new Sony HX20V camera.

Will be back on the boat in april, this time getting my sister and brother-in-law, from Scotland, introduced to cruising.

Tony

Another price cut on that single promenade jan 13 - 661 plus tax!!

Thanks Maureen...LOL..now I have 3 lines I want to do this year...It has been a long time for a full 7 day...LOL...Sarah

I think the Norwegian Epic is going to be the best choice for the single traveller. 128 studio rooms (made just for individuals, no double charge), a lounge and director just for those who got the studio rooms. They make it easy to meet people who are also travelling alone. Also have to check out the Ice bar. (probably a once and done thing but worth a picture)

There is an on line travel agent who lists reduced single supplements by region and date. It's so convenient. I find the cruise date and region I'm interested in, and then call the cruise line directly. Unfortunately, CC forbids posting the name or even hints to the name, and CC would take the post down....hope you get to read this...

Archived