Australian Cruise/Land tour/Suggestions?

We have been researching this area for some time, and are about ready to make some plans to come "Down Under" in November of 2013. Waiting for the RCCL to release their cruises for this time of year. We are planning to fly to Sydney, and stay several days to tour this area. Then, thinking of doing an 11 night Queensland cruise that will have stops in New Castle, Brisbane, Cairns(overnite) and Arlie Beach. Hoping this will give us a real taste of this part of the country. Wanting to know if the cruise would accomplish this, or do you think it would be best done all on land? Looking at cost of land vs. cruise. We do love to cruise, and I was thinking this would be a mix of both worlds to see as much as we can while there.

I would also love to go to the islands off the coast. Looking at either the New Caledonia stops vs the ones that also include Vanuatu. Or possibly doing New Zealand while there. We are looking at taking at least a month to visit Australia. We are open to some suggestions from all our friends in Australia. We are open to staying in Sydney for a week, and renting a car for transportation. Not afraid to drive places. Or taking the train, or a flight to another area. I will also be posting this on the Australia Ports of Call board. Thanks all for your input!

There is so much to see in Australia and New Zealand that if you want to do both in a month you will have to choose carefully. Everyone will have different opinions, but mine would be as follows:

You definitely need to spend at least 3 days in Sydney, but a week out of your month would be too long. I would prefer to fly up to Far North Queensland as you won't see much of this spectacular region by stopping for a couple of days on a cruise. NewCastle and Brisbane are nice cities, but they're just cities, and then you would only have a couple of days stop up near the Barrier reef on your cruise. It would be a good idea to fly up to Cairns or Port Douglas area from Sydney and stay 4 or 5 days in one of the beautiful resorts up there. (Saying this though, Far North QLD is expensive and it may be more economical to do a cruise...)

Then I would fly back to Sydney and take a 14 night cruise round trip to New Zealand that covers both North and South Island. We did this cruise on an RCI ship a couple of years ago and it was beautiful. This year (and I assume next) we have some wonderful ships cruising this itinerary, a couple of Celebrity ships, Radiance and Voyager of the Seas etc. If you wanted to save a few days you could take a 12 night that ends in Auckland and fly back to Sydney (or Melbourne).

I haven't been to the Pacific Islands (we are cruising there this December) but if you have been to the Caribbean or Hawaiian islands I don't know that this would be a must on this kind of trip, especially if it's a choice between New Zealand and the Islands. Depends what kind of trip you are looking for. The Islands would be beachy and relaxing. New Zealand South Island is spectacular and North is cultural but both are interesting and different.

There are some other lovely parts of Australia, Melbourne is a lovely city, Ayers Rock, etc but you would need a lot of time to cover everything. If you only have a month and you want to see both Aus and NZ I would limit your stops to Sydney, Far North Queensland and a New Zealand cruise.

I hope this helps a bit. :)

i also agree with cassicruiser re seeing australia on your own and doing a new zealand cruise.

we did a 13 night cruise to new zealand and thoroughly enjoyed our glimpse of the north and south islands.

typically, it takes 2 days to get to NZ and then everyday for 8 days you are in a different city/area before the ship cruises back to sydney (for another 2 days). the highlight of our trip would have to be sailing through the fiordlands and milford sound was fantastic!

to see australia, most visitors do the city, reef and rock route ie sydney and/or melbourne, ayers rock and cairns (for the barrier reef).

as mentioned, if you are trying to fit everything into one month, this would be one option....in to melbourne, then to cairns, then to sydney for the cruise and out from sydney.

Rather than start a new thread I'll ask a variation of the original question. I'm looking at a couple of cruises for October/November 2013. Both start in Australia and go over to New Zealand with one ending in Auckland and the other back in Australia.

My time will be very limited, so what I've wondered is whether or not it's possible to take a train from Melbourne or perhaps Adelaide to Alice Springs, spend two or three nights there and then return by train. I do understand that I would only be getting a brief glimpse of the interior of Australia, but it's better than nothing.

Ideas?

Rather than start a new thread I'll ask a variation of the original question. I'm looking at a couple of cruises for October/November 2013. Both start in Australia and go over to New Zealand with one ending in Auckland and the other back in Australia.

My time will be very limited, so what I've wondered is whether or not it's possible to take a train from Melbourne or perhaps Adelaide to Alice Springs, spend two or three nights there and then return by train. I do understand that I would only be getting a brief glimpse of the interior of Australia, but it's better than nothing.

Ideas?

The only train that goes to Alice Springs is the Ghan, which leaves from Adelaide (if you leave from Melbourne you go through Adelaide) and it takes around 18 hours and is very expensive. See this website: http://www.seat61.com/Australia.htm

It would be more economical and quicker to fly to Alice. You would then take a bus or car to Uluru.

You would need to decide if you want to see the interior (not much to see other than Uluru, although I haven't been there so can't really speak with great authority) or the South and Eastern coast, as the distances are quite large. Most (first time) visitors tend to stick to Sydney, Melbourne, and Far North Queensland.

Even though you will only get a taste of NZ on the cruise you do get to see a lot, and it is a magnificent country, especially the Fjords in the South Island. A lot of the ships offer a tour where you leave the cruise for a day and night and do a tour through Queenstown and meet up with the ship in Milford Sound. A few people on our cruise did that, and even though expensive they said it was worth it.

The only train that goes to Alice Springs is the Ghan, which leaves from Adelaide (if you leave from Melbourne you go through Adelaide) and it takes around 18 hours and is very expensive. See this website: http://www.seat61.com/Australia.htm

It would be more economical and quicker to fly to Alice. You would then take a bus or car to Uluru.

You would need to decide if you want to see the interior (not much to see other than Uluru, although I haven't been there so can't really speak with great authority) or the South and Eastern coast, as the distances are quite large. Most (first time) visitors tend to stick to Sydney, Melbourne, and Far North Queensland.

Even though you will only get a taste of NZ on the cruise you do get to see a lot, and it is a magnificent country, especially the Fjords in the South Island. A lot of the ships offer a tour where you leave the cruise for a day and night and do a tour through Queenstown and meet up with the ship in Milford Sound. A few people on our cruise did that, and even though expensive they said it was worth it.

Thanks, I look up The Ghan. I have a CC who's also a Facebook friend who lives near Adelaide, and I'd e-mailed her the same question, and she also told me about The Ghan.

I don't mind the long train ride as that would give me more of a flavor of the landscape which always interests me. And, I certainly understand about the distances. I live in North Carolina on the east coast of the US, and my sister is in Seattle, Washington - 3000 miles away. Visitors to the US who only see the port cities miss out on a lot of beautiful scenery and different ways of living even here.

Anyway, thanks again.

Thanks, I look up The Ghan. I have a CC who's also a Facebook friend who lives near Adelaide, and I'd e-mailed her the same question, and she also told me about The Ghan.

I don't mind the long train ride as that would give me more of a flavor of the landscape which always interests me. And, I certainly understand about the distances. I live in North Carolina on the east coast of the US, and my sister is in Seattle, Washington - 3000 miles away. Visitors to the US who only see the port cities miss out on a lot of beautiful scenery and different ways of living even here.

Anyway, thanks again.

I hope you have a great trip whatever you decide.

Cassiecruiser is 100% correct. Good advice. I also agree that the Vanuatu/Noumea option wouldn't be a priority for me. It's OK but not a "must see". Try instead the Whitsunday Islands just off Airlie Beach which offer great scenary and excellent GBR snorkelling options. MUCH better than the Pacific Islands and even Cairns unless you want more land based activities around Cairns, eg Daintree rainforest.

As for Alice Springs you can easily see what it has to offer in a day so unless you want to enjoy a long overnight train trip on the Ghan (A destination in itself for many) you're better off flying there. Whether its worth the time and money is up to you.

NOTE: Uluru (Ayres Rock) is several hours drive from Alice.

Thanks so much for all the advice. Keep it coming! We are thinking it would be best to just do a land trip. I have been looking at the Whitsunday Island area for time at the Great Barrier Reef. Definitely some time in Sydney. DH said he would like to take a jeep tour of the "Outback". Any suggestions as to what and where we could do that? Thinking we will do 3-4 weeks on land in your great Country. Not sure if we will start in Sydney, and make our way north to the Great Barrier Reef area, then fly home from there. Still considering doing maybe the NZ cruise. I need to research and decide if we want to do NZ, or just concentrate on Australia this trip.

Anyone know of any great snorkeling trips to the Great Barrier Reef? I started to look at them, and have found there are some that are overnight. This sounds like an interesting 2 days. I have the Frommers Australia travel guide. I better start reading to see what all our interests are. Also, I just ordered some travel brochures for Australia. Going to check here on the net to see what else I can come up with.

It's really impossible to make suggestions without knowing your particular interests. It's a bit like asking for general land tour ideas in the US. Australia is VAST. Most outback tours will be accompanied as its not a place for inexperienced tourists to get stranded. The NW Kimberley region of Oz is quite spectacular but it's a long way from everywhere else, a common problem in this great country.

I haven't been there yet, but I don't know that a cruise is necessarily the best way to see New Zealand. I'm doing a land tour in October of both islands and I like that I'll have more time in certain cities as opposed to a cruise where it's usually one day. I imagine the bus rides in NZ will be quite scenic.

But, it's all personal preference.

We have been researching this area for some time, and are about ready to make some plans to come "Down Under" in November of 2013. Waiting for the RCCL to release their cruises for this time of year. We are planning to fly to Sydney, and stay several days to tour this area. Then, thinking of doing an 11 night Queensland cruise that will have stops in New Castle, Brisbane, Cairns(overnite) and Arlie Beach. Hoping this will give us a real taste of this part of the country. Wanting to know if the cruise would accomplish this, or do you think it would be best done all on land? Looking at cost of land vs. cruise. We do love to cruise, and I was thinking this would be a mix of both worlds to see as much as we can while there.

QUOTE]

Remember that Australia is the size of the United States. Imagine trying to "see" the US with an 11 night cruise stopping at just 4 cities. You may have a good time but you are experiencing almost none of Australia.

We did a 2 month driving tour of Australia and we only got too see maybe 40% of the country.

DON

We love the beaches. We want to see Sydney. Also the Great Barrier Reed. Not sure if we would have time to see the "Outback". I do realize how big Australia is. We are looking at spending a month. Thinking we may fly into Sydney, and stay a week, maybe more. From there, possibly fly over to Alice Springs area to do the "Outback" for a few days. From there, go over to the Cairns area and spend 10 days to 2 weeks in this area. Along the way, we want to be sure to visit with some areas that have the kangaroos, and of course the koala bears (want to hold one too). I am just starting to read the Frommers Australia guidebook, and was just asking for what the "not to miss" things of Australia would be. These are the regions we will be concentrating on.

We have been to most of the US, and realize it takes lots of time to see and do what is offered. We have driven cross country several times. Not up to any of that any more. We prefer the faster pace of air travel. I know it is about 1800 miles from Sydney to the Great Barrier Reef area. It will take lots of time to plan out an extensive trip on our own. I was just reading about hot air balloon rides over the Outback area. Sounds interesting. We enjoyed our visit in Arizona to the Sedona area. This area is all red rock, and absolutely beautiful. We have been to most all of the "greats" of the US, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, Disney, Niagra Falls, just to name a few. Many more in the US we have not seen (not been to the NW states, or the NE states yet).

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I have plenty to learn about the great country of Australia. I am hoping since we have over 1.5 years until we make our trip, I can get this all planned out. We won't be able to make any reservations until about a year out. We will be traveling with another couple, and will be doing some of the things and visiting the places they want to see too. We are just in the very beginning stages of our planning.

So many visitors want to "cuddle a koala" (not a bear BTW). You'll be lucky to find one in the wild unless you plan on some serious bush walking and even then you'd have to climb a tree. You're better off seeing them in a zoo or wildlife sanctuary where you may or may not get the chance to handle one. They can be cranky b*ggers with vicious claws.

You're more likely to see kangaroos or wallabies in the wild but again, keep your distance.

Now let's discuss the snakes, spiders, jellyfish....... :)

Thanks so much for all the advice. Keep it coming! We are thinking it would be best to just do a land trip. I have been looking at the Whitsunday Island area for time at the Great Barrier Reef. Definitely some time in Sydney. DH said he would like to take a jeep tour of the "Outback". Any suggestions as to what and where we could do that? Thinking we will do 3-4 weeks on land in your great Country. Not sure if we will start in Sydney, and make our way north to the Great Barrier Reef area, then fly home from there. Still considering doing maybe the NZ cruise. I need to research and decide if we want to do NZ, or just concentrate on Australia this trip.

Anyone know of any great snorkeling trips to the Great Barrier Reef? I started to look at them, and have found there are some that are overnight. This sounds like an interesting 2 days. I have the Frommers Australia travel guide. I better start reading to see what all our interests are. Also, I just ordered some travel brochures for Australia. Going to check here on the net to see what else I can come up with.

I notice that in your last two replies that you have Dropped the cruise part out of your holiday. Maybe you are now looking on the wrong site now.

QUOTE]

Remember that Australia is the size of the United States. Imagine trying to "see" the US with an 11 night cruise stopping at just 4 cities. You may have a good time but you are experiencing almost none of Australia.

We did a 2 month driving tour of Australia and we only got too see maybe 40% of the country.

DON

Thats true that Aus is the same size as the US but unlike the US most of the interior of the country is uninhabited. Other than a bit of the outback and Uluru (ayers rock), everything a visitor to Australia would usually want to see is around the coastal areas.

Thats true that Aus is the same size as the US but unlike the US most of the interior of the country is uninhabited. Other than a bit of the outback and Uluru (ayers rock), everything a visitor to Australia would usually want to see is around the coastal areas.

Thank you for this information. I really appreciate you answering. I know this is a cruise board, but we are trying to figure out what is the best way to see some of the great places in your country. I do understand with a cruise, we can just touch the surface. By doing a land trip, we will get to see much more. I know a month isn't much time to see your beautiful country, but it is much more time than just 2 weeks. Since I haven't been there yet, I don't know what are the must see's of the country. We don't want to miss out on something what is a very special place. I also know we would be seeing the Koala in a controlled enviornment (like a zoo or something like that) as opposed to out in the wild.

We are still considering a possible cruise in addition to doing the land portion. Just not sure yet which will be best for us. We were looking for some ideas that others have enjoyed while in Australia.

Can I suggest adding Darwin to your list of possible places to visit? It is quite a unique area of the country and has some great places to do day trips to. You can go out to Kakadu and visit amazing waterfalls and wetlands, or Litchfield national park. There are also a lot of traditional Aboriginal communities you can see as well. You can then fly down to Alice Springs and see Uluru, the Olgas and Kings Canyon.

I would suggest Melbourne for a couple of days, it is a great cultural city, less about landmarks and more about getting lost in the streets and discovering great shops and cafe's. You can do day trips to places like Healsville Sanctuary where you can see all the wildlife (including Tasmanian Devils) and hold a Koala. You could also head down to Phillip Island to see the fairy penguins and fur seal colony.

Cairns and Port Douglas in far north Queensland are just beautiful, and you can visit some of the most beautiful parts of the Barrier Reef from here. I suggest the outer reef as it has the more vibrant and colourful coral. You need to visit this area in our winter though (June - August) as our Summer is the wet season north of Brisbane and Cyclone season.

If you want to see some great beachs then Queensland is fantastic, and also the coast to the north and south of Sydney. The Great Ocean Rd in Victoria is amazing too. You just need to be careful of jellyfish in QLD.

Good Luck with the planning, this really is an amazing country to vist <3

Confession time. Over the years I have questioned whether I'd really want to visit Australia. Yes, I know it's wonderful country, but for some reason I've envisioned all kinds of other places to visit.

Then this spring a friend took a cruise on the Radiance that left Perth. I don't remember all the ports, but I know there were several as well as stops in New Zealand before disembarking in Sydney. I looked at all 600 of her pictures and said to myself: What have I been thinking all these years!

So, that's why I started asking questions here--so much so that now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just forego a cruise and spend my entire time on land. Living in the US I realize I couldn't possibly see the whole of Australia, but I can dream and start planning.

Thank you for answering questions and giving suggestions these last couple of weeks. I make one more request. I'd love to have suggestions for favorite web sites that highlight some part of Australia from Perth to Sydney and Darwin to Melbourne and anywhere in between.

Who knows if I can do this in 2013 or 2014, but I now know this is one area of the world I don't want to miss.

Beth

This is where i live , thought you may want to have a look around when you have some time on the net with a coffee.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/

Beautiful beaches here on the gold coast, our best asset by far.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/gold-coast-beaches.html

Enjoy looking at our beautiful part of this large land down under!!:D

Ohh and if your wondering why i am replying at 01.50am , its because i work night shift at our local casino/hotel.

This is where i live , thought you may want to have a look around when you have some time on the net with a coffee.

Ohh and if your wondering why i am replying at 01.50am , its because i work night shift at our local casino/hotel.

Thank you! And, I never wonder why people respond at different hours? I dont work a night shift but am often awake and on my computer at 2:00 a.m.!

Beth

Thank you too, for your reply. I just learned there are Casinos in Australia. :eek: I had no idea. We don't gamble much, maybe $20. a night while on a cruise, but nice to know it is available. Where all are Casinos? I would like to visit them to see if they are the same as the ones in Las Vegas, "tight"! LOL. :D :D

Yes, Beth, I agree, I too am on my computer sometimes at 1 or 2AM when I get insomnia!

Archived