Need Norwegian Fiords Cruise advice

I have seen a few cruises to this area, but need advice as to which one you would take, again? I prefer smaller ships, 2 wks or less in length, price not an object...any ideas as to where to start?

It is good that your budget is flexible. This is not a cheap area due to the high costs in Norway and the Baltics, plus the limited, narrow season when these cruises can be offered. Here is the July 1-16, 2010, cruise we are doing with Silversea. A smaller boat has many advantages for the fjords and other smaller ports, including short times getting off and on the ship, getting to know others better, etc. Below is the schedule for this cruise. This cruise is on wait-list now, but by late March, some spaces might open up. If interested, I would get on that wait-list. There are other options with Crystal, Seabourn, Oceania, etc. Come join us!!!

July 1-16, 2010 on Silversea’s Silver Cloud Cruise Ship, a 296-passenger ship that departs Copenhagen at 7 pm.; with July 2 as Sea Day

July 3, Saturday in Flam in Sognerfjord 8 am-Noon; and then to nearby Gudvangen, 2-6 pm.

Alesund for July 4, Sunday, 8 am-5 pm and Trondheim July 5, Monday, 7 am-7 pm

Crossing Arctic Circle going north July 6 as Sea Day and then Leknes, Lofoten Island, July 7, Wednesday, 8 am-5 pm

Tromsø, July 8, Thursday, 8 am-5 pm and then Hammerfest July 9, Friday, 7 am-Noon

Honningsvag (North Cape) July 9-10, Friday-Saturday, 7 pm-2 am and cruising Nordkapp 6 am-7 am on July 10

Svolvaer on Lofoten Island, July 11, Sunday, 1-7 pm; and then crossing Arctic Circle going south July 12 as a Sea Day.

More fjords: Helleysylt, 8-10 am, July 13, Tuesday and then Geiranger, 12:30-5 pm

Bergen: July 14, Wednesday, 8 am-11 pm

July 15, Thursday: Sea Day; heading to docking July 16, Friday in Copenhagen at 7 am.

Reactions and questions? THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Small ship is relative ...less than 100 passengers? less than 1500 passengers??

Depends on what you are looking for in the ship, basic, upscale or in between.

We are taking an Oceania cruise in July

Less than700 passengers, limited smoking areas, no vegas shows, good food (subjective I know)

Best to talk to you TA and see what line suits you best

Another possibility is Hurtigruten. We're going on a fjords cruise in early April. This ship is more a ferry than a cruise ship, however. If you're looking for a gull cruise experience, it might not fit, but you should check them out.

What Hurtigrute ship are you travelling with then? :)

The best way to cruise the fjords are Hurtigruten!

They stop at 34 ports (you will not have full day at each port then as you will get with the cruiseships) but you will experience a trip along the inner fjords all the way, get to meet more of the locals along the way, you will see more of the fjords, villlages and towns and every time the ships meet eachother they will pass close and have a small hornbattle as they pass :)

I really want to try it one time my self and I live 20 minutes away from the terminal so I see the ships all the way :D The ships are not big and filled with entertainment as the cruisesips are, but tte entertainment are just scenery, scenery and scenerey all the way (Seen 20 programs of Hurtigruten on the television) ;)

My husband and I will be on the Fram, on a special 10-Day Norwegian Fjord special cruise, leaving Dover on April 9, cruising Stavanger, Ulvik, Eidfjord, Hardangerfjord, Flam, Naeroyfjord, Gudvangen, Sognefjord, Alesund, Geirangerfjord, Geiranger, Olden, Nordfjord, Hyenfjord, Bergen, and then a day at sea, ending in Oslo on April 18.

My husband and I will be on the Fram, on a special 10-Day Norwegian Fjord special cruise, leaving Dover on April 9, cruising Stavanger, Ulvik, Eidfjord, Hardangerfjord, Flam, Naeroyfjord, Gudvangen, Sognefjord, Alesund, Geirangerfjord, Geiranger, Olden, Nordfjord, Hyenfjord, Bergen, and then a day at sea, ending in Oslo on April 18.

Nice ship, I was onboard the Fram during the christening in 2007 to have a photoshoot before it became an open ship for the public. Fram haven't been to Norway since 2007 :) I will take some photos of your departure in Bergen then :) As long as it doesnt rain tennisballs

Here is one episode where they sail into the magnificent Trollfjord. You may not understand a lot of what's been said here, only when the English/American tourists are commenting :) It's a fjord where very few cruiseships are moving into.

http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/klipp/149780

Hi, Master Tom! Glad you're an expert living there in Bergen, etc. From our port stops on the Silver Cloud posted earlier for Flam/Sognerfjord, Gudvangen, Alesund, Trondheim, Leknes/Lofoten Island, Tromsø, Hammerfest, Honningsvag (North Cape), Svolvaer/Lofoten Island, Helleysylt, Geiranger and Bergen, are there any special tips, suggestions you can share?

I have already pulled most of the key basics on all of these places from the top travel books. We visited Oslo in late July 2008 and loved the Norway capital, its art, harbor, etc. Below are a few of my favorite pictures from Oslo. We had a beautiful weather day there.

Appreciate any added ideas or secrets for along that scenic Norway Coast. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

The main, historic fortress where many cruise ships dock in Oslo:

1A-Oslo-Harbor-OldFortress.jpg

Vigeland Park has a wide variety of outdoor sculptures in a wonderful setting:

1A-Oslo-VigelandPk.jpg

1A-Oslo-VigParkStat7.jpg

At the National Museum in Oslo, there is Munch art, including his famed Scream:

1A-Oslo-NatGalMunch.jpg

Hello Terry in Ohio :)

I can answer and suggest things about Bergen and Oslo.

If you're lucky on a cruise to land one of the happenings in Bergen like the Bergen Music Fest that's in the week of April/May: http://www.bergenfest.no/2010eng.html

Sometimes the music fest even moves out on the streets.

The Bergen International Festival is one big event every year, but here is the outdoor events more under the opening acts.

http://www.fib.no/en/About-the-festival/

Normally the second saturday in June we got the "Market days" in Bergen by the harbour. People from the surrounding areas of Bergen dress up like it's at the 1800/1900's and take their vintage boats to the harbour with home-made food and acessories, one day of living in the old days.

Here I got Frimpong the travelling bear in Oslo and Bergen.

http://www.pbase.com/frimpong/norway

It's a bear thats visits a lot of photographers around the world and it's become very popular. I had to wait 3 months to get him, but it was fun having him here for 4 weeks :)

Maybe you'll get som tip from him in that link and I will also answer questions regarding Bergen and the surrounding areas in this forum :)

THANKS, Master Tom, for the follow-up info! We will be in Bergen July 14, a Wednesday, from 8 am to 11 pm.

I checked the http://www.visitbergen.com/en

website for Bergen tourism and didn't find much other than the Grieg in Bergen music program to be performed Wednesdays and other nights at 9 pm in the Church of the Cross, "Korskirken", a medieval church in the center of Bergen. There is also the music program of music by Edvard Grieg and other composers at his home of Troldhaugen. OTHER SUGGESTIONS?

Here are my detailed notes so far on Bergen:

July 14, Wednesday, 8 am-11 pm Docked, 15 hours in port

As the seat of Norway’s medieval kingdom of Norway for six centuries, Bergen is a former Viking stronghold encircled by deep fjords, towering mountains, and sweeping glaciers. Today's Bergen has much of the medieval flavor remaining around Bergen's harbor. Near its central harbor is its main Torgalmennignen square. Explore the cobblestone streets, see its pastel-color wooden houses and strike a bargain in one of the many artisans' workshops or visit the famous and always entertaining Fish Market. You can watch the locals haggling over today's catch and enjoy a quayside lunch of freshly caught salmon or fish and chips. Next to the fish market is a flea market, with loads of souvenirs, hand-knit sweaters, etc., with many merchants taking credit cards, Rated by Frommers as more scenic than Oslo, Bergen was the base of the medieval Hanseatic merchants. Those historic timbered houses are set around Bryggen or The Wharf, a center for crafts and workshops. Its prime row is mostly reconstructed 14th-century structures, some of which were originally destroyed by fire. Det Hansseatiske Museum depicts commercial life on the wharf in the early 18th century and is highly rates with well-preserved wooden structure. Its art museums is highly-rated with religious icon, local art, etc. Floibanen funicular railway goes to the top of a 1050-foot high peak for scenic views. This cable car has been operating for over 80 years and was refurbished in 2002. Gamle Bergen is its free outdoor historic museum for forty historic homes set in the early 19th century. Among the other options are composer Edvard Grieg's estate at Troldhaugen (with outdoor concerts there Wednesday at 7:30 pm, five miles south of town) and Gamlehaugen, the Scootish-looking castle that is a royal residence, three mile south of town. Mariakirken or St. Mary’s Church is the most outstanding Romanesque church in Norway. Bergen is Norway’s largest port and has a population of 252,000. Scenic Bergen completes your voyage with its dramatic backdrop of seven rounded mountains and cobbled streets. It entices you to take memories and photos cherishing the land of the Norsemen. The "Bergen Card" can be purchased at the express boat terminal or tourist information center at Vagsallmennigen. It sells for NOK 190 ($37.52) and gives free transportation and admission to most museums and attractions. It is a five-hundred-yard walk in an easterly direction to Bergen's other major landmark: Lille Lungegadsvann -- a small lake embedded in lush gardens and statuary, surrounded by most of Bergen's major museums. Kafe Krystall is the top rated local restaurant and has the feel of Vienna in the era of Sigmund Freud. Also highly rated by Fodors are Enhjorningen and Potetkjelleren. It is the capital for Norway’s oil industry, fourth largest in the world. For July 14, average high of 62 and low of 51; record high of 73 and record low of 44 on this date. Sunrise of 4:37 am and sunset of 10:50 pm. Latitude: 60.4° N.

dock at Skoltegrunskaien Pier

What's missing that is major and/or especially interesting? Looking forward to enjoying! Terry in Ohio

You ve all give me a lot of info to look into...Thanks...To Terry, that cruise sounds great,but will be on SeaDream in Adriatic at that time.Hope they offer it later, or next Spring.Master Tom, great advice and websites.As far as Hurtigruten, think I d rather do a cruiseship,not that type .Sounds nice,but too many stops and sort of basic ships...Hey,,I need some pampering.hahahaha. ;)

THANKS, Master Tom, for the follow-up info! We will be in Bergen July 14, a Wednesday, from 8 am to 11 pm.

There will be many cruisepassenger in Bergen that day :)

You will be in port with Adriana III, Costa Magica, Seabourn Sojourn & MSC Poesia.

You havent been to Bergen if you havent visited the Ulriken Cable car:

http://www.ulriken643.no/en/Home/

Ulriken re-opened in 2009 after they went broke in 2006

Been to the aquarium? They are opening a sharktunnel now in April and there is a lot of reptiles, snakes & fish from around the world and along the Norwegien coast, a little entertainment for kids and adults, facts about it all.

Got Fjord tours with the White Lady where they guide you into the narrow fjords where the cruiseships don't sail to

and a 50 min Harbour tour with the same boat.

http://www.whitelady.no/fjordengelsk.html

You ve all give me a lot of info to look into...Thanks...To Terry, that cruise sounds great,but will be on SeaDream in Adriatic at that time.Hope they offer it later, or next Spring.Master Tom, great advice and websites.As far as Hurtigruten, think I d rather do a cruiseship,not that type .Sounds nice,but too many stops and sort of basic ships...Hey,,I need some pampering.hahahaha. ;)

In 2008 we did the Fjords on Celebrity Century. Loved every single minute of our cruise. The ports and excursions that we took (all from the cruise line) were excellent. We loved the Century. The Fjords were so beautiful. This trip was more oustanding than our Alaska cruise!! We took a couple of long excursions (all day, bus and ferry at one port) and saw even more gorgeous fjords. We would honestly love to (and will one day) do this exact cruise on the same ship again.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!!!!

Elaine

Master Tom

I have been following along some of the advise you have given and I do have a question that I hope you can help me with.

. My wife and I will be getting off of the RCCL Vision of the sea on May 29 and fly out of Oslo on the 30th. Ther are no hotels available in central oslo on the 29th(Songfest...) We did get reservations at the Raddisson at the airport.

We want to site see but will have our luggage with us... Do you know of any place we can store the luggage OR do you know of any tour company that can set up a private tour that can meet us at the pier and leave of off at the airport??

Thank you for any help you can give.

Jay

wandy2

Hello Jay

To store your luggage is something you can do at both trainstations (Oslo Centralstation and Nationalteatret station) Nationalteatret would be best since it's not so crowded there.

I'm so sure about companies that does private tours, but I can try to look it up sometime the next couple of days :)

I can see that your port is Filipstad, so I guess you maybe will have a kind of shuttlebus then to somewhere?

Understand the need for "pampering". For Silversea, Seabourn, Crystal, etc., most of those higher-end cruises along the Norway Coast and fjords are done in later June and July. It's a fairly narrow window. There is a limited number of cruise options during this "peak time" in order to achieve better weather, longer days, etc. Will do some posting on how our 2010 cruise goes in that area to help you plan your 2011 efforts there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

There will be many cruisepassenger in Bergen that day :) You will be in port with Adriana III, Costa Magica, Seabourn Sojourn & MSC Poesia.

You havent been to Bergen if you havent visited the Ulriken Cable car:

http://www.ulriken643.no/en/Home/

Ulriken re-opened in 2009 after they went broke in 2006

Been to the aquarium? They are opening a sharktunnel now in April and there is a lot of reptiles, snakes & fish from around the world and along the Norwegien coast, a little entertainment for kids and adults, facts about it all.

Got Fjord tours with the White Lady where they guide you into the narrow fjords where the cruiseships don't sail to and a 50 min Harbour tour with the same boat.

http://www.whitelady.no/fjordengelsk.html

THANKS, Master Tom! Great stuff, especially with the number of other ships docked there on that date in Bergen.

The Ulriken Cable car might depend on the actual weather that day. How do you compare the views and convenience of doing that cable car . . . versus . . . the Floibanen funicular railway that goes to the top of a 1050-foot high peak?

Not sure on the aquarium. How does the Bergen one rated compared to other better one in the world? Good? Really good? Super spectacular?

On the Fjord tour potential from Bergen, our cruise will do two different, fairly narrow fjords. How would these fjords being visited compare to what we will see at Flam, Gudvangen, Helleysylt and Geiranger? Lots will depend on weather. Bergen will be our last port stop of the cruise. We might be satisfied on fjords by that point . . . OR . . . maybe we will be seeking more and more.

Other reactions and suggestions? Keep it coming! Appreciate the help. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Can't exactly call the aquarium for super spectacular :D

It's just quite ok i guess, I'm visiting it every 2 year to see the updates.

I havent tried the White Lady yet, but will try (as I have said for the last 2 years) but I guess fjordtrip is out of the question when you have been to it :D

If other museums are interesting, we got the maritime museum with the Norwegian maritime history that is not a small history

and tere is the university museum as you can see here:

00554.jpg

All sort of things from the past and in the present, I think the big thing there is a whale, been some years since I've been there :)

Can't exactly call the aquarium for super spectacular. It's just quite ok i guess, I'm visiting it every 2 year to see the updates.

I havent tried the White Lady yet, but will try (as I have said for the last 2 years) but I guess fjordtrip is out of the question when you have been to it.

If other museums are interesting, we got the maritime museum with the Norwegian maritime history that is not a small history

and tere is the university museum as you can see here:

All sort of things from the past and in the present, I think the big thing there is a whale, been some years since I've been there :)

THANKS, Master Tom, for the added info! Really like the picture. Love to see more such visual "PREVIEWS". Keep the info and pictures coming. Much appreciated. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

It's a bear thats visits a lot of photographers around the world and it's become very popular. I had to wait 3 months to get him, but it was fun having him here for 4 weeks :)

Maybe you'll get som tip from him in that link and I will also answer questions regarding Bergen and the surrounding areas in this forum :)

Tom, thank you for sharing Frimpong's adventures in Norway with us. He's a very lovable fellow and the photos are great. I always travel with a small bear but unfortunately seldom include him in any photos (here he found a friend in Geiranger)

PICT00012.JPG

Also checked out your main gallery - Lots of great photos.

We enjoyed Bergen in wonderful weather during our first visit in 2005 (by train) and look forward to re-visiting on QM2 on Aug 24

PICT290004.JPG

Bergen%20Panorama.JPG

PICT0001-4.JPG

Hello Terry in Ohio :)

I can answer and suggest things about Bergen and Oslo.

If you're lucky on a cruise to land one of the happenings in Bergen like the Bergen Music Fest that's in the week of April/May: http://www.bergenfest.no/2010eng.html

Sometimes the music fest even moves out on the streets.

The Bergen International Festival is one big event every year, but here is the outdoor events more under the opening acts.

http://www.fib.no/en/About-the-festival/

Normally the second saturday in June we got the "Market days" in Bergen by the harbour. People from the surrounding areas of Bergen dress up like it's at the 1800/1900's and take their vintage boats to the harbour with home-made food and acessories, one day of living in the old days.

I have to make a decision quickly. Do you think the QM2 is too large a ship to cruise on for a good coastal Norway/north cape experience? I'm looking at the June 14,2010 itinerary.....Southampton, Stavanger, Geiranger, Honningsvag, Tromsa, Olden, Bergen, Southampton. What's your opinion of the itinerary and ports?

I have to make a decision quickly. Do you think the QM2 is too large a ship to cruise on for a good coastal Norway/north cape experience? I'm looking at the June 14,2010 itinerary.....Southampton, Stavanger, Geiranger, Honningsvag, Tromsa, Olden, Bergen, Southampton. What's your opinion of the itinerary and ports?

I'm doing a similar cruise on the Crown Princess in July. The QM2 is a larger ship than the Crown Princess but carries fewer passengers. In my opinion, it's all about the itinerary.

Archived