Will I love the Coral as much?

ambullmom

My sister and I just returned from the March 28th sailing of the Grand Princess. It was the best cruise ever! The crew was the best at sea.

We are thinking of booking the Coral Princess for the March 28th 2005 sailing of the Panama Canal. Will we be as happy with this ship and crew? The Grand crew really spoiled us and I like that!!

Thanks,

Mary Beth

We were on the Coral just this last Feb in the Panama Canal. Trust me, you will enjoy this ship. Personally I like that size of ship, not too big or not to small just right. Hope you sail her.

Marilyn

I can't answer directly about the Coral, but we just sailed on the Island. We have been on the Grand twice in the last two years and I was concerned that I wouldn't like the Island as much. What I found is that I liked the Island even more. We liked the layout, the decorations and furnishings. We found this ship to be more comfortable than the Grand. We got to know more of the crew--possibly due to the fewer passengers--but maybe more for the extra three days. We also loved the full scholarship at sea programs being offered. I say book it and look forward to discovering a new ship.

I've been on the Island, sister ship to the Coral, and loved it...however, I much prefer the layout of the Horizon Court on the Golden/Grand. (Has anyone out there been on both the Island and Coral and is the layout of the Horizon the same on both?) Overall, I think I like the Island better than the Golden/Grand and we're looking forward to our cruise on the Coral in October.

KB

NCL NORWAY - 2000

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2001

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2002

HAL NOORDAM - 2002

HAL VOLENDAM - 2003

ISLAND PRINCESS - NOV. 2003

HAL VOLENDAM - JAN. 2004

CORAL PRINCESS - OCT. 2004

If you look at the Princess web site, you will see that Princess talk about the Coral (Island) as:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> We call it "big ship choice and small ship feel" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>. Trust me, that is very true.

Now, if you look at the ships facts from Princess site you'll se that:

- the space ratio is:

Coral = 44.6

Grand = 42

- passenger vs crew:

Coral = 1970 / 900 = 2.18

Grand = 2600 / 1100 = 2.36

There might not be a big difference in the numbers but I think they tell you something: the Coral (Island) has a good balance between size vs passenger capacity.

As you can see, I've never been on a Grand class ship and I would really like to cruise on one of them some day... but I'm pretty sure it won't be the same as on the Coral or even the Sun class ship.

Don't hesitate to book on the Coral ! ...and have a great cruise !!

Alain R.

---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ----------

Want to see some pictures from our cruises ?

Just go to:

Alain & Linda cruises pictures

... and enjoy !

---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ----------

March 20, 2005 -> Dawn Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;3;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

1995 - Regal Princess (Eastern Carrib)

2000 - Sea Princess (Western Carrib)

2002 - Dawn Princess (Southern Carrib)

2004 - Coral Princess (Panama canal)

2005 - Dawn Princess (Southern Carrib Meddley)

"Stars are brighter when you look at them from sea !"

Loved the Coral but the horizon court is the poorest layout, it just does not flow well, do not know what they were thinking. We instead did room service, grill, pizza and dining room to avoid the HC and were so glad for info on CC that you write in whatever you want and roomservice will bring it. Great friendly crew and a beautiful ship.

We just returned from the Island Princess 2 days ago. I was curious if we would like it as much as we like the Grand and the Golden. I loved the ship! It was beautiful and easy to get around on. Though, I kept getting turned around for the first several days. With the Horizon Court being at the front of the ship, that threw me every time. The spa on the Island, and I'm sure on the Coral, was beautiful. The prettiest I have ever seen. The covered pool area was gorgeous, though we never did spend any time in there. Will agree with the flow in the Horizon Court. I do think it is set up better on the Grand/Golden also. At first I thought the layout was good, but at time went on it was confusion as to where everyone was going. Never a flow at any time. They do have the best omletes for breakfast. Was nice to have one made with exactly what you want.

I'm sure you will love the Coral and the itinerary.

Hulagirl

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;4;4;19;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Island Princess Panama Canal

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;7;8;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Grand Princess Baltic Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;4;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Star Princess Eastern Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;9;18;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Diamond Princess Northwest Cruise

I have been on the Grand/Golden and Coral and I thought the Horizon Court on the Coral had a little bit more space and that the Horizon Court was a little bit better laid out but very similiar to the Grand/Golden layout. The Horizon Court on the Coral seems a little longer and doesn't have the definied corner ends that the Grand/Golden has.

I think the main thing about the flow on any Princess buffet truly depends on the people using it (as a whole). Some people use the areas as sections and others use it as a line. It doesn't matter how people use it as long as the majority use it the same way. Chaos occurs when half are using as a line and the other half use it as stations.

Here are some pics of Coral's Horizon Court:

Image-3D9C6A0299C511D7.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

Image-3D9CA71199C511D7.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

Image-3D9C308D99C511D7.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

We thought the Coral Princess had a better layout --more roomier and not as closed in as Grand-- then Grand and Star. But on longer itiniaries such as the Coral and Island's, you get a group of older people who happen to move slower then people on 7 night cruises. It is best when people use the Horizon Court as stations and not as a line.

I forgot to add -- I do prefer the Coral Princess better then Grand class. It will take me a long time before I get back on the Grand class ships. Will probably only go on Sun class and Coral class in the future.

randyat1001: Thanks for your reply. I found the Island's horizon court not at all as comfortable as the Golden. And from what you say, the Coral is the same. I don't like the fact that it's forward, and we couldn't escape loud, very loud, parties at breakfast. I'd rather have the slow, quiet folks. We will adjust, just as we did on the Island, and will enjoy our cruise. Thanks so much to all who have resonded to my question. And special thanks to Coral, for the photos.

KB

NCL NORWAY - 2000

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2001

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2002

HAL NOORDAM - 2002

HAL VOLENDAM - 2003

ISLAND PRINCESS - NOV. 2003

HAL VOLENDAM - JAN. 2004

CORAL PRINCESS - OCT. 2004

Archived