Veendam to Bermuda

jdvmd

Is the Veendam a popular ship? You don't seem to hear too much about her. I am contemplating a Bermuda cruise in May out of NYC and the prices just seem too good to be true.

How would she compare to the Prisendam, Maasdam or Westerdam? Just came off the Westerdam yesterday but the Prinsendam is my favorite. Love the fact that the Veendam is smaller and can dock in Hamilton instead of the Royal Naval Dockyard.

Have been to Bermuda before on Celebrity.

Alternatively, looking at the Maasdam out of Montreal.

Veendam to Bermuda! We did that cruise the first year it was offered and loved it. Do it this summer, because this is the last year Veendam sails to Bermuda. Docking in Hamilton for four days is much much better than being at the dockyards for fewer days.

Veendam is the same size as Maasdam. Unfortunately, she had the refit that replaced the aft pool with "the retreat," which caused some longtime HAL fans to swear off Veendam. But even with that change, she's a fine ship. You only have a day and a half of sea days at either end of the cruise, so I don't think the lack of the aft pool is a problem for this cruise.

Next summer, Veendam will do the Canada route, as will Maasdam (we think/hope), so you will still have the opportunity to sail Canada with HAL.

May prices to Bermuda do look great. Go for it!

Veendam is the same as the Maasdam except for the fact that the Veendam removed the aft pool and replaced it with a "what were we thinking" retreat area. Didn't win many friends.

I was on it last August and I'm going again next month-I loved it. I was also on the Westerdam last Nov and while it was nice, I really loved the size of the Veendam and the fact that it stops in downtown Hamilton.

CJ

Because one spends so much time in Hamilton, you really won't miss the "old version" of the Veendam. We were on her before the surgery and after the surgery and still would go on her again if the price was right. Can't go wrong with the Bermuda price but it is very easy to empty your wallet in NYC!!

Is HAL leaving Bermuda in 2013? Or will another ship be taking the Veendams place?

Hal is giving up the berth in Hamilton entirely. No HAL to Bermuda after this summer. And I think they're giving up on NYC, too.

Our first two cruises were HAL, NYC to Bermuda, in the 70s and early 80s. We were disappointed when they left New York, and we sailed to Bermuda (and other places) on other ships. We didn't go back to HAL until HAL came back to the NYC to Bermuda run.

I'm going on May 6th and we found out today that they over sold our cruise by 7 cabins.

So if you're "on the fence" about booking, book early because I have a feeling that she'll sell out all of the Bermuda cruises since it's the last season going there.

Hal is giving up the berth in Hamilton entirely. No HAL to Bermuda after this summer. And I think they're giving up on NYC, too.

Our first two cruises were HAL, NYC to Bermuda, in the 70s and early 80s. We were disappointed when they left New York, and we sailed to Bermuda (and other places) on other ships. We didn't go back to HAL until HAL came back to the NYC to Bermuda run.

Do you know why and if another cruise line will call into Hamilton in the same way ie 3days. I do not think My wife will let me spend more money on another cruise this year, we have just returned from the Queen Victoria Panama cruise L.A to NYC

which I have to say was brilliant :) Grilles really was something else.

Regards

all@sea

Do you know why and if another cruise line will call into Hamilton in the same way ie 3days. I do not think My wife will let me spend more money on another cruise this year, we have just returned from the Queen Victoria Panama cruise L.A to NYC

Regards

all@sea

I don't think an official reason has been given. The only reason that makes sense is that they didn't make enough money on this cruise. Plus, Canada has been a very popular route for HAL, so they're moving the ship to a route on which they make money.

There has been discussion of this in the Bermuda port of call board, and it seems nobody else is taking the Hamilton berth on a regular basis. Not many ships can get in there.

Regards

all@sea

I haven't heard of anyone else taking the Hamilton berth either, we can only hope. We have booked the LAST sailing on Aug 26th. Years ago, all cruises to Bermuda went to St George and/or Hamilton. I have grown tired of being out at the dockyard on our recent Bermuda cruises and this will be a welcome treat, albeit a bittersweet one... As for pricing, the rate for our Verandah suite has already gone up by $200pp since we booked, I am very pleased with what we paid:)

I haven't heard of anyone else taking the Hamilton berth either, we can only hope. We have booked the LAST sailing on Aug 26th. Years ago, all cruises to Bermuda went to St George and/or Hamilton. I have grown tired of being out at the dockyard on our recent Bermuda cruises and this will be a welcome treat, albeit a bittersweet one... As for pricing, the rate for our Verandah suite has already gone up by $200pp since we booked, I am very pleased with what we paid:)

My last couple of HAL cruises price went down at the end but this one price seems to have increased, we are going 5/20 and looking forward to being in Hamilton and leaving from NYC again. ( also have the veranda suite booked but hoping for that upsell to full suite which we got our last cruise)

My last couple of HAL cruises price went down at the end but this one price seems to have increased, we are going 5/20 and looking forward to being in Hamilton and leaving from NYC again. ( also have the veranda suite booked but hoping for that upsell to full suite which we got our last cruise)

Oh WOW! I hadn't even considered that as a possibility! I would consider that deal if the price was right.. Now my hopes are up!:p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sad that HAL is abandoning Bermuda again.. Not sure how NCL makes it work so well financially, but HAL cannot. Holland America has such a great history with the island. Here is a fun image showing three different Veendams in Bermuda, Veendam (2) in 1931 under charter to Furness Bermuda Line. Veendam (3) in 1978 sailing from Bermuda and Veendam (4) in 2011 arriving into Hamilton Harbour.

380367_10150770315940758_506630757_9596079_1256149618_n.jpg

Just off the Veendam yesterday- spoke with the hotel manager about Veendam no longer going to Bermuda. He says that things may still change :confused: and that he has a meeting with some officials in Bermuda on Wednesday. Sounds weird to me since their itineraries are already out for the next year or so. He also encouraged me to write a letter to corporate saying how disappointed I was that HAL was pulling out of Bermuda... not sure how much good it would do, but I might send one in...

Just off the Veendam yesterday- spoke with the hotel manager about Veendam no longer going to Bermuda. He says that things may still change :confused: and that he has a meeting with some officials in Bermuda on Wednesday. Sounds weird to me since their itineraries are already out for the next year or so. He also encouraged me to write a letter to corporate saying how disappointed I was that HAL was pulling out of Bermuda... not sure how much good it would do, but I might send one in...

HAL has been known to change a ship's itineraries -- we have been caught in that mess a couple of times.

Is the Veendam a popular ship? You don't seem to hear too much about her. I am contemplating a Bermuda cruise in May out of NYC and the prices just seem too good to be true.

How would she compare to the Prisendam, Maasdam or Westerdam? Just came off the Westerdam yesterday but the Prinsendam is my favorite. Love the fact that the Veendam is smaller and can dock in Hamilton instead of the Royal Naval Dockyard.

Have been to Bermuda before on Celebrity.

Alternatively, looking at the Maasdam out of Montreal.

The Veendam and Maasdam are the sister ships, they carry 1,200 passengers. The Princendam is Hal's smallest ship, carries 800 passengers and the Westerdam is a different catagory ship then either of the others. She carriers around 1,800 passengers, so she would be the biggest but she is also the newest of this group of ships. Personally if it were me, I would be looking at the Maasdam.

Archived