Megan's Bay or Sapphire Beach?

bluedreams183

I have never been to Magens, but it seems to be the place most cruise ship passengers go to and I've heard it is extremely crowded (but yet beautiful).

I have been to Sapphire and we thought it was absolutely beautiful. We would go back there in a heart beat. The snorkeling was amazing and we had the best day there.

Here is my review from our day at Sapphire along with a link at the bottom of the page to pictures. I'm hope some day to get back there. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=26210037&postcount=1

Depends on what you like. Magen's is much bigger. The view at Sapphire is unbeatable. Snorkeling at Sapphire, not much to see snorkeling at Magens. More people at Magens, much more remote feeling at Sapphire. You decide. Sapphire is a little longer ride as well.

Just returned from a one week vacation on St. Thomas and went to both beaches. Magen's can get crowded, especially when cruise ships are in port. If you plan on going to Magen's independently, the entry fee is $4 per adult + $2 for a car. Sapphire Beach is just as nice but it is farther from Charlotte Amalie than Magen's. I would consider going back to Sapphire but would not go back to Magen's.

We've been to Megan's, but plan on going to Sapphire this year. We were not impressed with Megan's. It was very crowded and the water was very dirty and cloudy that day. We couldn't even snorkel, so that was a huge bummer!

We are very excited about Sapphire though!! I pull up the webcam for that beach every day.....just counting down the days until I will be there!:)

We were married in the sand on Magens Bay so we would go back every year for sentimental reasons. Some years crowded, some not. This past cruise we made our 6th anniversary at Saphire instead. Not crowded, laid back and fantastic snorkeling. I talked our cabbie's ear off there and back and learned a lot about the local life. Weather was iffy that day but we're glad we went. Next year we'll go back to Magens, mainly for our tradition and hopefully it will be a low ship count day. So if you're only going to STT once, then I'd say Magens Bay because it's famously beautiful - even if it takes 20 minutes to get a pizza at the snack bar. If you're going back again, then mix it up for some variety. Can't go wrong with either as they're different experiences.

Magens isn't bad if you get away from the busy area. We stayed at the Sapphire Resort and loved it there. We actually prefer Coki because it is gorgeous. Coki is a very small bay and so gets crowded midday, but as it gets busy you can take a 10 minute taxi to Sapphire and enjoy the beach and views there. Two great beaches in one day - hard to beat!

• 3 weeks later...

We've been traveling to St. Thomas for years and spent a week at Sapphire last summer and will be returning again in August.

The problem with cruisers going to Maegans is that many get dropped off by the taxis and all just park their stuff in one spot. The beach is actually very long! Consider walking 5 minutes to the left, and it is much quieter. There are picnic tables for use and clean restrooms with showers for rinsing off. Maegans offers many more restrooms, has lifeguards and is publically funded, so that the beach is cleaned and maintained daily. There is an admission charge.

Having stayed at Sapphire, it does get crowded during "cruise days". Not as long and much simpler and smaller restroom facilities, so it seems much more crowded than Maegans. If you are coming to Sapphire, please remember NOT to feed the fish and DO NOT STAND on the corral. Too many people stand or touch the coral which infringes on its growth and eventually kills the coral. Finally, if you do come to Sapphire, please take your trash with you!! After a day of cruisers, the beach is littered with trash left over. This is not a publically funded beach or park that has employees to clean up after you. Please be responsible and clean up after yourself, and keep Sapphire the jewel that it is.

Magens was great on our April cruise--but not many ships were in port and the day started out very windy & not really a beach day. It was not too crowded and we really enjoyed it!!! Great water, beautiful views and decent food--but slow service unless you go to the bar near the parking lot.!!!

After realizing it'd be too rough to do our snorkel excursion, we switched to a ship's excursion that included the "seaquarium" near Coki beach and the beach at Megans. It worked out well. The underwater exhibits were nice and we enjoyed that stop..place needs work but worth a visit

By the time we got to Megans it was a wonderful sunny day with calmer waters!

We did not like the system they have to rent the beach loungers-- you have to pay & get a ticket in the store & then line up to have someone drag your not so clean chairs for you.. took a long time. Then you have to drag the chairs back yourself to get your deposit back--one line for chair return & another to get the $$.

Athough we had a great day, we will head to Sapphire next time with the cruise line--esp.b/c there will be many ships in port on that day

We've been traveling to St. Thomas for years and spent a week at Sapphire last summer and will be returning again in August.

The problem with cruisers going to Maegans is that many get dropped off by the taxis and all just park their stuff in one spot. The beach is actually very long! Consider walking 5 minutes to the left, and it is much quieter. There are picnic tables for use and clean restrooms with showers for rinsing off. Maegans offers many more restrooms, has lifeguards and is publically funded, so that the beach is cleaned and maintained daily. There is an admission charge.

Having stayed at Sapphire, it does get crowded during "cruise days". Not as long and much simpler and smaller restroom facilities, so it seems much more crowded than Maegans. If you are coming to Sapphire, please remember NOT to feed the fish and DO NOT STAND on the corral. Too many people stand or touch the coral which infringes on its growth and eventually kills the coral. Finally, if you do come to Sapphire, please take your trash with you!! After a day of cruisers, the beach is littered with trash left over. This is not a publically funded beach or park that has employees to clean up after you. Please be responsible and clean up after yourself, and keep Sapphire the jewel that it is.

We're going to be there next April and plan to renew our vows on the beach. We are keeping it simple with one or a few couples, but need a restroom to change in and out of clothes. We've been there before, but I'm getting it confused with some other beaches. There's a fee now to get on the beach? Do you know if they would charge us an additional fee to do the vow renewal if we walk towards the end of where people are to do our own ceremony? Thanks for any help on this.

Congrats on your vow renewals!

Cannot comment on an extra fee at Magens (though I would doubt it for a small deal). For another idea we renewed our vows at the gazebo above Paradise Point with 6 frends present. Great view and abrupt weather isn't an issue. After enjoying the beach we went back to the ship to change for lunch on the island and I surprised my wife with that.

There is an admission fee at Magens, all other beaches are free.

There is a condo resort at Sapphire and at Secret Harbor. Restrooms at most beaches are fine but no beach restrooms will be a great place to change. We were dressed smart casual and did not change into anything more formal at PP but there are restrooms there as well of course.

Msgens would be a great beach if you walk further down as you said, Sapphire would be too.

Actually many couples get married at Pretty Kelp Point at the Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina. Beautiful little piece of land that juts out between bldgs C and D with views of St John and Tortola in the background. Very popular spot for ceremonies. We took pictures there when we stayed there. I would suggest you look at that option before choosing Magens. Contact the resort directly ot ask on TA if there are any fees associated with that, I doubt it.

We have done both & both are BEAUTIFUL!!!! I have to say the water at Magen's was much calmer than at Sapphire, but the snorkeling is a must at Sapphire. We also like Trunk Bay in St. John. No bad beaches in the USVI's that we've ever been to.

Hopefully you'll be ok in April and a sudden shower won't be an issue. Otherwise a cabana would look mighty good! I tend to not take chances with important events and so chose PP but a beach cabana would be a good back up too. We have seen sudden downpours in STT in April on a gorgeous day...

Great! We stay on Tortola and love it there, if you're in need of a beautiful beach there with Zero crowds look at Long Bay (Beef Island), then a very short drive to De Loose Mongoose to Party! Tortola's beaches are even more beautiful than STT's.

Great! We stay on Tortola and love it there, if you're in need of a beautiful beach there with Zero crowds look at Long Bay (Beef Island), then a very short drive to De Loose Mongoose to Party! Tortola's beaches are even more beautiful than STT's.

Are one of those beaches close to the cruise pier?

None close to the dock. Long Bay(Beef Island), Long Bay (Tortola), and our fav Smuggler's Cove are a $24 taxi (roundtrip). But Josiah's Bay and Brewer's Bay are closer and $16pp. Josiah's is very quiet with no amenities (like LB Beef and Smuggler's), Brewer's a bit busier with a small beach bar and camping area.

Cane Garden Bay is also a $16 taxi and is the main beach with several beach bars and gets the most cruisers.

There is also Long Bay Resort on LB Tortold that offers day passes to use their pool.

And we've stayed at Myett's in CGB, many couples get married on the beach there. Check their site (Google Myett's in Cane Garden Bay).

None close to the dock. Long Bay(Beef Island), Long Bay (Tortola), and our fav Smuggler's Cove are a $24 taxi (roundtrip). But Josiah's Bay and Brewer's Bay are closer and $16pp. Josiah's is very quiet with no amenities (like LB Beef and Smuggler's), Brewer's a bit busier with a small beach bar and camping area.

Cane Garden Bay is also a $16 taxi and is the main beach with several beach bars and gets the most cruisers.

There is also Long Bay Resort on LB Tortold that offers day passes to use their pool.

And we've stayed at Myett's in CGB, many couples get married on the beach there. Check their site (Google Myett's in Cane Garden Bay).

Thanks! I'll check out those websites! Any suggestions for Antigua? My husband thinks there's some pirate thing at the top of a hill in Antigua, and if there is a pirate historical tour or something like that, he'd like to see it. This would be a first for us as we always just pick out a beach and do some shopping by the pier.

Archived