Discount price on an existing cruise?

evonlef

Windstar just sent me an email about its latest sale and reduced the price for my existing cruise by $1800. Many cruise lines allow you to get a refund if you complain that the price on an existing category has been reduced. Windstar simply said that it was too late to cancel and rebook at the cheaper rate. They gave me a $200 cabin credit. Wow! Now other ships that are underbooked find ways of giving "quiet discounts" to new passengers such as reduced airfare, gratuity, upgrades, et al but they don't tell all existing passengers that the current fare is lower; that is a horrendous marketing tool. I am a frequent cruiser, but I don't think I will book another Windstar cruise.

What experience do others have with how other cruise lines handle this issue as ship has space and departure approaches? Anyone get a refund or benefit for booking too early and price was reduced?

Windstar just sent me an email about its latest sale and reduced the price for my existing cruise by $1800. Many cruise lines allow you to get a refund if you complain that the price on an existing category has been reduced. Windstar simply said that it was too late to cancel and rebook at the cheaper rate. They gave me a $200 cabin credit. Wow! Now other ships that are underbooked find ways of giving "quiet discounts" to new passengers such as reduced airfare, gratuity, upgrades, et al but they don't tell all existing passengers that the current fare is lower; that is a horrendous marketing tool. I am a frequent cruiser, but I don't think I will book another Windstar cruise.

What experience do others have with how other cruise lines handle this issue as ship has space and departure approaches? Anyone get a refund or benefit for booking too early and price was reduced?

If it's past final payment most cruise lines won't do much. Sometimes you'll get some OBC or an upgrade.

This is highly unusual, but the new cruise line, Windjammer Sailing Adventures, began booking for S/V Mandalay's tall-ship sailings starting later this month. After bookings had been taken for a few weeks, WSA announced a promotion offering really great rates for all sailings through the end of this year. AND then WSA announced to all that everyone who had already booked would get a refund re the new rates. I know many had already booked for this company, and it certainly was great PR to give the refunds...lots of happy tall-ship sailors as a result: those who had booked and those who then booked. Wouldn't it be nice if ...... but nah, probably never gonna happen with the big cruise lines.

Archived