Best Diets for You

Tu917

Just discovered this topic today. I would like to know which diet everyone has had the most sucess with. I read where one person did lean Cuisene for supper, oatmeal for breakfast, and slimfast snacks. I would like to try to lose 30 lbs. I have tried so many things. Thanks for your input.

i have done a lot of diets, but personally i love atkins. it is a hard idea to wrap yourself around...no bread, no pasta you say???impossible!! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] once i decided to do it, i have not cheated since i started 2 months ago (except the day after i had the stomach flu and needed to drink gatorade for the electrolytes and could only stomach dry toast, but that doesn't really count, does it?) and that is a complete record for me....most times i am lucky to go a day without cheating, although i think i made it to a week once. my mother did fairly well on WW, but not so for me. whatever you decide to do, research it well. don't just do it on a whim.

32 down, 189 to go

gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now.....hurry december!!!
kim

scandanavian cruise line 1987
cape canaviral - 1995
carnival jubilee - sept 2002
CARIVAL VALOR - DEC 26, 2004 (2ND VOYAGE FOR HER)
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;12;26;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]  days to go!!!!!!

Hi Tu,

The only diet that I stuck with for the long haul is the Jenny Craig's system. Pricey but worth it if you can practice portion control for good. I lost 26 lbs over 2 years ago and have kept it off by weight training and aerobics excercise. I've learned to eat slowly till I am just close to satisfied and don't go for seconds by keeping the serving dish off the table. If it is not in front of you, you will not reach for it. My husband has to get up to get his seconds! And I do not deprive myself of sweets! I will take a bite and know that I have to work it off! In order to have pleasure one must feel the pain! When cruising, that's when all the "see food dieting" starts and I throw caution to the wind! I can eat like there is no tomorrow! Hopefully on this next cruise, I can tell the waiter to ease up on the portions but will they listen? NAW! You ever notice, how they all want to just keep bringing in the food and you can't say no? It's all a ploy to get even with us in the end! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] But I have a plan...hit the gym everyday and hurt like hell so I can "buff" up for the buffet again and again! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Remember to use: portion control, exercise, vitamins, supplements, water, water and more water! & most importantly...use your hand to push that plate away!!! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Good luck!

LindaMar

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Sun Princess
[img]http://www.animationlibrary.com/Animation11/Transportation/Sea_related/3d_ship.gif[/img]

Drink plenty of water each day, avoid sweets and fats, cut back on salt, low carb as much as possible. Lots of vitamin supplements. My diet doesn't deprive me, but it is low-calorie. I try to limit my calories to under 1500 per day. I exercise on my stationary cycle each morning. Good luck. We're here for you. Weigh-ins on Thursday morning. Cathy

[url="http://www.pazooter.com"][img]http://www.pazooter.com/bandc.gif[/img][/url]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=2211ff&cdt=2004;06;27;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

Until our **STAR** search
Seattle to Alaska on NCL Star
June 27, 2004

Fantasy 12/25/03
Inspiration 4/13/03
NCL Majesty 12/27/02
Jubilee 3/23/02
Norwegian Sea 11/23/01

I've tried just about EVERY diet out there. The only one that I can actually stick with is South Beach. I've lost over 40 lbs. You can actually do just about any diet you want and it will work. The problem is that it HAS to be a way of life, not just a short-term fix. You can lose 50 lbs on a diet and then go back to your bad eating habits and BAM! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] before you know it, 20 lbs are back, then 30, then 40, then 50, then 60! I know...been there, done that. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

<font color="#0000CC" face="Lydian Csv BT" size="4">~~Shelia~~</font></p>
Sailing the Mariner in.......
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
<font color="#003399" face="Benguiat Bk BT">Carnival Destiny 2002</font>

• 4 years later...
What I am doing is cutting down on fats and processed carbs. I never was big on salt so there is no need for me to cut back on that. When I snack I have a couple of tablespoons of this to die for hot fudge sauce. It isn't diet but it is satisfying and 120 cals. for the snack. Maybe it isn't the best but it is chocolate. When I get craving something it is better for me to have it right away. One time I wanted some fried chicken and kept putting it off and putting it off and the desire grew bigger, I ended up eating fried chicken every day for a week.

The best diet for weight loss is one that you can live with for the rest of your life. If you can't do that, then you will regain the weight when you go off. There are many, many different ones out there to try.

Lynn

Definitely an individual thing. I like WW because the approach isn't an all or nothing kind of diet. I can have just about anything I want, I just have to plan and keep the portions reasonable... and excercise and drink water and remain as consistent as possible. The best diet? One that remains a way of life and allows you to live and enjoy the blessings of food and activity.

I used to do all kinds of diets for years...then learned its not about dieting, its about eating right. As long as your eating tons of fresh leafy vegetables, low glycemic carbs (oatmeal, beans, whole grains), quality protein, and healthy fats (nuts,avacadoes etc) your body composition will change.

Throw in some exercise and your good to go.

It's DEFINITELY a personal choice. All of the diets will give you success if you follow them to the letter. It's about which fits your lifestyle. The only one I've found that works for my lifestyle for more than two weeks is Slim Fast. I needed something fast, filling, and that I didn't need drastically change my cooking with. The only thing I've really had to alter is making sure I always have low cal, low sugar snacks for work. I spend about 30 minutes a week packaging up different snacks.

If you like planning, organizing and such, Weight Watchers might be for you. If you can bare with depravation for a few weeks, then low carbing, South Beach or Atkins might be for you. Just be careful with those...they can be harmful to those with certain medical risks.

If you are single and want ease with restriction of calories, try the Lean Cuisines/Jenny Craig for meals.

Just make a pact with yourself that you will stick with something AT LEAST TWO WEEKS. Bite off a little at a time.

[quote name='misty57']Definitely an individual thing. I like WW because the approach isn't an all or nothing kind of diet. I can have just about anything I want, I just have to plan and keep the portions reasonable... and excercise and drink water and remain as consistent as possible. The best diet? One that remains a way of life and allows you to live and enjoy the blessings of food and activity.[/quote]

I agree with you on Weight Watchers. It teaches balanced nutrition, and it's livable! You don't feel deprived, and nothing is entirely off-limits. You get to eat your own food instead of having to spend lots of money on prepared foods.

[quote name='Chigirlcruzin']I agree with you on Weight Watchers. It teaches balanced nutrition, and it's livable! You don't feel deprived, and nothing is entirely off-limits. You get to eat your own food instead of having to spend lots of money on prepared foods.[/quote]

Another vote for WW. You take what you learn and use it the rest of your life to eat healthy and stay fit. You can't think of it as a "diet"...it must be a permanent change in your lifestyle in order to acheive and maintain a healthy and fit body. :)

[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred]It's hard to find something that works for you...what may work for all these others and myself may or may not work for you. 1. you have to be in the right mind set..[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000]2. you have to burn calories so that you can lose the weight and fat. In order to lose you need to start exercising at least 30 minutes each day and work yourself up to 45 minutes each day. This is going to be at a pace that carrying on a conversations will be hard at first and yes you should sweet. :) [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000]Calories...the first 3-4 days are going to be hard and tempting but you need to shock your body with the exercising and diet. Take out all bread, flour, sugar, pasta, and for sure soda. Then you need to eat a low fat high protein breakfast...Protein stays with you longer. Fat free cottage cheese, or an egg scrambled with something else. I eat a scrambled egg with 1/2 teas. ketchup:p and 1/2 cup of fat free cottage cheese and may add a fresh tomato with it. [/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred]I will also eat maybe asmall piece of lean steak left over from the night before with cottage cheese or tomato. Drink, drink drink...Crystal light works well for all. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000]You should at least drink 16 oz of liquid 3 times a day and more if you want. Remember drinking will break up the fat and help rinse the fat calories, plus it will give you a full feeling. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000]Lunch needs to be your biggest meal for the day...you will have more time to work it off, keep it as lean as possible, eat the vegis, and stay away from anything white except egg whites. Eat different things so you don't get bored. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000]I love to walk and I also try to burn off 400-600 calories a day...I try to eat no more than 1500 calories but when time is limited I will cut back to 1200 calories a day. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000][COLOR=red]Stay away from the fruit for the first month or so..remember it may be healthy but it's still sugar and sugar turns into fat.[/COLOR] [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000]B[COLOR=red]eing parpared at all times will help also. Take your own [U]fat free[/U] salad dressing out to eat with you 2 Tab. that's it.If you are going to eat sour cream remember fat free...[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff0000]I reward myself with 1 diet soda in the evening for being a good girl all day. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff0000]Also if you are a snacker like I am that was the hardest thing for me. When I felt like I wanted to snack during the day I got up and done something to take my mind off of eating, in the evening I would go brush and floss my teeth, there is something about the toothpaste that takes that urge away. If that did not work I would brush, floss and go to bed for the evening. I would still watch TV but told myself you only get up to use the restroom...;) You gotta do what you have to...to be successful. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff0000]Within 5-7 days that hunger pang will go away. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff0000]KEEP A DIARY FOR THE FIRST COUPLE OF MONTHS AND THIS WAY YOU WILL SEE EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE PUTTING IN YOUR MOUTH AND BE SURE TO MEASURE UNTIL YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT A PORTION IS. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff0000]I tried the adkins diet and felt bad and found out for some reason my sugar levels went up. I did lose but just felt bad. I tried WW and for me...even putting anything sugery in my mouth started me with craving it again so for me it's best for me not to have it until I can control that urge. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff0000]Good luck... [/COLOR][/SIZE]

I haven't seen anyone her mention this. My dr. recommended it for me, as my blood sugar, cholesterol and blood pressure were sky rocketing on me.
I have been on TSFL for 4 months and have lost a healthy 40 lbs :) and do not do any exercise except for the normal walking, house cleaning, etc.
It follows the rules of what alot are saying on here, you actually eat about 1000 calories per day in a total of 6 meals. It may at first seem costly at about $10 per day, put realistically you buy very little grocery store food, so I see my actual grocery store budget drastically cut. I am free to answer any questions anyone may have, just email me at [EMAIL="kwsivan@innernet.net"]kwsivan@innernet.net[/EMAIL].:) :)
We will be doing a Trans Atlatnic in September and looking forward to being 50+ lbs thinner by then.

Archived