Online Regent Excursion Booking Disaster for Alaska

Travelresa

:mad: We were looking forward to our June, 2010 Alaska cruise until we TRIED to book our excursions on the Regent website yesterday (180 days out). Every time an excursion was selected we got an error during check out. As of now we have nothing and most everything is fully booked. This is supposed to be an all inclusive cruise with numerous shore excursions included at no extra cost. However, none of the "free" excursions are available. What's up with that? We booked our cruise directly with Regent and tried to call them. They will not get back to us until Monday. We are totally stressed out over this and this fun cruise of a lifetime has turned into a major disappointment. Any suggestions?

Not sure which cruise you are on (I am on the June 9th roundtrip Vancouver to Vancouver) but for mine I just checked and their are excursions available. Wrangell has the least availability, but the others seem to have a number of excursions.

My suggestion: Log out of your account at RSSC. Go to your privacy settings on your computer and clear your cache and clear your cookies. Log back in to RSSC and see if you can book excursions. Sometimes their system gives errors because you have been to their site numerous times and the cookies from those visits conflict with the recent update they have done at their site. They always seem to be updating their site. Try that and see instead of waiting until Monday.

I am so sorry to hear this Travelresa as we are booked for September and the excursions part of the trip gives me an ulcer. I noticed yesterday that there is a disclaimer that the free excursions are for "full fare" passengers only. Was that there before? What does that mean? I KNOW the "free" excursions was a major incentive to book when we were sent our quote.

This is what I am going to do. I REFUSE to let it stress me out. I will say a prayer to my higher power to take over. I will contact my TA and let her know what I want to book and I will let it go for now. I am disappointed by the stories I have read about the Regent excursions but I will roll with the punches. When the time comes I will attempt to book online, follow-up by phone and just see what happens. If nothing else I will visit each port on my own and just wing it. I can have a good time visiting the towns and I can figure out how to do it for free or very inexpensively.

I am determined to have an amazing experience no matter what. I know this is not really helpful to you at this stressful time but maybe someone else who reads this thread might be able to avoid some stress over this.

Let it go for now, call Monday and please come back and tell us how it works out. I know I will learn from your experience and I appreciate your taking the time to post.

What is meant to be will be....

I had the same issue yesterday and could not book anything due to the error message. Even trying at 1AM I could place the trips in my cart but could not checkout. At this point most everything is gone. My husaband and I are really hoping that Regent will make this right on Monday.

6/9/2010 - 180 days is 12/11/2009. It looks like you may have been late to reserve?

Good point, but what about the folks that don't book 180 days out or longer? What about them??

Host Dan

6/9/2010 - 180 days is 12/11/2009. It looks like you may have been late to reserve?

Good point, but what about the folks that don't book 180 days out or longer? What about them??

Host Dan

No, the OP stated that they posted ON the 180th day out.

The 6/9 comment came from SanFranCruizer to show that there were bookings still avail on his/her cruise after the 180 day exact mark.

And to Host Dan's point, ever more the reason to place value on visiting this forum. Does RSSC "hold back" bookings for shorex and dining, for those who get "shut out" with online booking, to reserve on ship?

Don't panic. :D I remember posts similar to the OP's regarding online booking of excursions for 2009 cruises. Usually, the error messages cleared up in a few days and there were excursions available for booking even though a few days earlier the system had said all excursions were booked. I have a feeling the system was not yet ready for online bookings. Trying to book newly opened excursions on a holiday may be the problem here. Things may be cleared up on Monday.

My understanding is that Regent does hold back some slots for those who do not or cannot book online. Also, additional sections of popular excursions that fully book online may be added to the online inventory later.

Dave

Thank you for your replies. We tried to book on New Year's Eve at 00:01, which is the start of the 180 day window. This was the worst time ever, we didn't even have a glass of champagne since this was so important.

Thank you SFC for your suggestions which we tried and got as far as the personal info page with credit card # and once again we got the error message.

Colomom, you are right, it's not worth stressing over. It's hard to tell yourself that though, when you have read, done all the homework, planned for months which excursions to book. To make matters worse we have to wait until Monday to talk to Regent. I'll let you all know what we will find out.

It is possible that Regent had some computer issues while going from 2009 to 2010. It is possible that the customer service people at Regent will not know exactly when this will be fixed. Not trying to stress you out more -- it just seems that it takes a while for some things to get communicated to the right people. If it is a system bug, they will probably not have had an opportunity to look into it until Monday morning.

Keep in mind that no one else on your cruise has been able to book their excursions, so, you're all on a level playing field.

Think positive -- I think this will work itself out fairly easily next week:)

Regent did have computer problems with their booking system. As of today, we were able to book all the excursions we wanted for our June 30th Alaska cruise.

:)The stress is gone and we're looking forward to a fabulous time once again!:)

I knew it would work out. Regent is not the greatest in front end stuff (esp. their computer system) but once on board you will have a fantastic time. I just knew they couldn't be sold out on all their excursions already. Anyway, relax and prepare yourself for a good trip.

Regent did have computer problems with their booking system. As of today, we were able to book all the excursions we wanted for our June 30th Alaska cruise.

:)The stress is gone and we're looking forward to a fabulous time once again!:)

Yea! So glad it all worked out well!

We are on the cruise before you and are very much looking forward to a great trip too.

This is fabulous news!!! Thank you soooo much Travelresa for updating the thread and helping me with MY stress level :)

Have a wonderful time and come back to tell us all about what a "perfect" time you had on your cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
Not sure which cruise you are on (I am on the June 9th roundtrip Vancouver to Vancouver) but for mine I just checked and their are excursions available. Wrangell has the least availability, but the others seem to have a number of excursions.

Good morniing! We're on the June 9th cruise as well. I was reading about the Navigator going through drydock, but haven't been able to find if they made any changes to the cabins. Do you happen to know??

Good morniing! We're on the June 9th cruise as well. I was reading about the Navigator going through drydock, but haven't been able to find if they made any changes to the cabins. Do you happen to know??

It was reported on another thread that the suites received new "carpeting, linens and upholstery".

Just booked our excursions---for 5 people--not all doing the same things every day -

Everyone seems happy with the choices they picked.

Some things we had hoped to get were sold out---even within the time we were debating.:eek:

Should have gotten online 2 days ago when we were 180 days out--it was even in our Palm calendars and we missed doing it...

We are happy with what we have booked and are waitlisted in case they add another departure of one activity.

There are significantly fewer excursions in 2010 than there are in the 2009 excursions booklet. There were a couple of big zip line tours that aren't listed--one had 6000ft...and one run ws 850ft...our teens would ahve enjoyed that.

We have booked mostly very active excursions...hoping everyone is pleased.

Pre-cruise Denali details are not available yet--Went to the provider's web site--the hotels listed are for Princesss--not Regetn--Regent's oage listed different hotels...

Looking forward to it :rolleyes:

:confused:

Just booked our excursions---for 5 people--not all doing the same things every day -

Everyone seems happy with the choices they picked.

Some things we had hoped to get were sold out---even within the time we were debating.:eek:

Should have gotten online 2 days ago when we were 180 days out--it was even in our Palm calendars and we missed doing it...

We are happy with what we have booked and are waitlisted in case they add another departure of one activity.

There are significantly fewer excursions in 2010 than there are in the 2009 excursions booklet. There were a couple of big zip line tours that aren't listed--one had 6000ft...and one run ws 850ft...our teens would ahve enjoyed that.

We have booked mostly very active excursions...hoping everyone is pleased.

Pre-cruise Denali details are not available yet--Went to the provider's web site--the hotels listed are for Princesss--not Regetn--Regent's oage listed different hotels...

Looking forward to it :rolleyes:

Glad to hear that you were able to make reservations. I noticed on your cruise counter clock that you said you were sailing on "Navigator of the Seas".. . . . think you mean Seven Seas Navigator

:confused:

Glad to hear that you were able to make reservations. I noticed on your cruise counter clock that you said you were sailing on "Navigator of the Seas".. . . . think you mean Seven Seas Navigator

:eek::o

Too funny--I never noticed that--I am going to fix it

Thanks!

Just talked with Regent--the Tracey Arm excursion is evidently available even if its not showing on the website...

We are booked on 7/28/2010 on the Voyager to the Baltic. On 1/29/2010 we were able to book all our excursions (including St Petersberg) with no problem. I had tried on the 28th but was unable so I called RSSC and was told they would be availableon the 29th. Suggest a call to RSSC a few days in advance of the 180 day window to find out exactly what day the window opens.

Archived