How to prevent jet lag....??

Rowsby

Have been looking at some cruises that involve long airplane flights....

Any good hints in preventing jet lag....??

We just returned on a 5 1/2 hour flight Tuesday and it has

taken three days to "come alive"........or maybe it has only been post-trip depression.......:)

We took our own bottles of water...some healthier snacks.....walked to the restrooms once an hour......not sure what else we could do..............?????

when i went to australia with work we arrived at 1pm local time so i forced myself to stay awake till evening and got on with the day. it was a tough day as i was exhausted from a 24 hour flight but i was the only one who was up the next day at a sensible time and didn't have jet lag.

i did hear of a supplement you could take that was basically melatonin but i can't remember the name ..

The longest we've done is Hawaii from the East Coast and that 6 hours kills us when we first get to Hawaii ... somehow not so bad on the return. We've done all the tips too, but it's still you're body clock, I think. But, for us .... well worth it!! LOL! :)

biggest key is to try to stay awake at least until 8 pm in the new time zone - otherwise you wake up at an ungodly hour.

now, we really find this homeopathic product works - it's called jet lag - available at Magellans.com Can't get it anymore in Canada but in the U.S. you can. Made in New Zealand and an absolutely wonderful product - saved the day for us and really helped.

Alas, we have to find imitations now and they are not as good, It's worth a shot. DH swears by it:D

I find it's easier to adjust when I head west-bound than east-bound, but my approach remains basically the same---I sleep.

If headed overnight to Europe (east-bound), I check in to my hotel, go to my room, and nap a couple of hours. Then I get something light to eat, stay up a while, then nap again. By early evening I have dinner, take a shower (if I didn't when I arrived), then go to bed for the night, at about 8:00 PM. I'm usually fine by morning, but plan an easy day.

Westbound is generally a daytime flight, so I may take a nap upon arrival, get some supper, then go to bed at an early hour in the new time zone. Again, I'm fine by morning.

The hardest adjustment should have been the 19-hour non-stop flight across 12 time zones (Singapore to Newark). :eek: I checked in to my hotel about 6:30 PM, got a light supper, forced myself to stay awake until 9:00 PM, and woke up naturally at 9:00 AM. I was fine, and to this day can't figure out how that happened.

now, we really find this homeopathic product works - it's called jet lag - available at Magellans.com Can't get it anymore in Canada but in the U.S. you can. Made in New Zealand and an absolutely wonderful product - saved the day for us and really helped.

Thanks........

I just looked at the Magellans.com website...it's called No-Jet-Lag.....and the reviews sound great.....

We had nearly every symptom that the New Zealand flight attendant's had listed.....and I didn't see anything "scary" in the ingredients........

Curious......why can't you buy it online....won't they ship to Canada.......???

forced myself to stay awake until 9:00 PM, and woke up naturally at 9:00 AM. I was fine, and to this day can't figure out how that happened.

Too funny........:)

Our flight back was east-bound.....interesting.....no problem west-bound.......must remember that.....

I am a flight attendant and here are some things I do when I travel.

If I am going from the West Coast to Europe, try and sleep a bit on the flight. Its good to reset your watches to the new timezone you will be visiting. Try not to think about the timezone of where you left, think about what time it is where you are going. So when you land, you are a bit refreshed and ready to hit the ground running/walking.

I will have a cocktail or 2 inflight to take the edge off and help relax. I do not take sleep meds or other sleep aids during the flight. Other than alcohol, I stick to H2O during the flight. If you need a pick me up before landing, have a soda.

Wear comfortable clothing during the flight. A light sweater is good. Dress in layers. Sometimes the aircraft could be warm or just to cool and the blankets that the airlines give you may not keep you warm.

Bring a small pillow. Load up the Ipod with relaxing calming music.

When flying from Europe to West Coast it can be a bit tough to adjust to the new timezone when you land. When you get home, go to bed, and "try" and sleep till 8a West Coast time . You might feel sleepy during the day, fight the need to take a nap. The quicker you can adjust to the local timezone, the better your are.

I do trans-Atlantic flights regularly. Avoid alcohol, don't even be tempted by a small glass of wine. Drink lots of water. As soon as you get on the plane, put your watch on the time of your destination. When you get there, try to stay up as long as possible until a decent bed-time.

Thanks........

I just looked at the Magellans.com website...it's called No-Jet-Lag.....and the reviews sound great.....

We had nearly every symptom that the New Zealand flight attendant's had listed.....and I didn't see anything "scary" in the ingredients........

You are absolutely correct - the name you are stating is the right one.

We LOVE it. Dh swears by it. all homeopathic, safe herbs - no threats nothing.

Canada- we ordered it all the time and then all of a sudden it couldn't be had. I fell under some rule they (Canada) had so now we can't get it. We swore by it for travelling overseas.

Give it a shot - as far as I know there is nothing in it that can do any harm

:D

As soon as I get on the plane, I set my watch to the time zone into which I am going. And I set myself as well. When we used to fly to Australia from the West coast and arrive at 7AM , we made it a point to stay up all day and keep busy. Difficult but it helps adjusting. And lots of water and no alcohol on the plane.

biggest key is to try to stay awake at least until 8 pm in the new time zone - otherwise you wake up at an ungodly hour.

Alas, we have to find imitations now and they are not as good, It's worth a shot. DH swears by it:D

I don't have a problem buying No Jet Lag pills in Ontario....and I, too, swear by them. I see that a website http://www.well.ca sells them online in Canada. Maybe you could try them.

I make about a dozen trans-atlantics and trans-pacific flights every year, as well as another 6 or so RTW flights.

I always fly First or Business.

Turning left when I board the airplane is a great start.

The moment I sit down, I start drinking champagne.

I wash down a Benadryl tablet or two with the champagne, drink lots of water, sleep very well for 6 to 8 hours, and wake up ready to go.

I make about a dozen trans-atlantics and trans-pacific flights every year, as well as another 6 or so RTW flights.

I always fly First or Business.

Turning left when I board the airplane is a great start.

The moment I sit down, I start drinking champagne.

I wash down a Benadryl tablet or two with the champagne, drink lots of water, sleep very well for 6 to 8 hours, and wake up ready to go.

Was waiting for someone to suggest flying First or Business. :D

That's my remedy as well.

Thanks........

Excellent information about homeopathy from Quackwatch: http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/homeo.html

The placebo effect: http://www.quackwatch.com/04ConsumerEducation/placebo.html

There is no solution for each person.

This is one of the reasons why it's good to arrive a few days before your cruise begins so you can get over the jet lag.

When you arrive try to stay up and get right onto the local time.

Drink lots of water.

Keith

You are absolutely correct - the name you are stating is the right one.

We LOVE it. Dh swears by it. all homeopathic, safe herbs - no threats nothing.

Canada- we ordered it all the time and then all of a sudden it couldn't be had. I fell under some rule they (Canada) had so now we can't get it. We swore by it for travelling overseas.

Give it a shot - as far as I know there is nothing in it that can do any harm

:D

Hi Kazu...... as No-Jet-Lag sounded such a great product, I decided to see if I could get it in UK. I came across a website : http://www.nojetlag.com/ which lists outlets "worldwide" (except UK that is!!) and I found these outlets in New Brunswick :

Airport Stores : Relay Airside Store, Moncton Int'l Airport, Dieppe, 506-856-8497

Bathurst (506) : Pharmacy Jean Coutu, 1047 St Peter Ave., E2A 2Z6. Tel: 546 6666

Fredericton (506) : Aura Foods, 199 Westmoreland St, E3B 3L6. Tel: 454 4240

Sangsters Health Centre, 440 King St, Kings Place Mall, E3B 5H8. Tel: 455 0200

St John (506) : Walsh Luggage, 1 Market Square, E2L 4Z6. Tel: 658 1091

I suppose this info may be out of date but it may be worth a try. :)

I'm off to see if I can find a UK outlet somewhere.

Sue

Not very practical when you depart at 8:00 PM or later and it is 2:00 AM or later at your destination.

Obviously you've got to apply the recommendations to your own individual flight scenario. I have a non-cruise vacation coming up with a flight very similar to the one you mentioned. We plan to go to bed when we get to the hotel!

Archived